Official CELL Speculation Thread

I don't expect 1TFLOPS out of BE

Well, I do, regardless if it is one chip or on some sort MCM, I expect the thing Sony call Broadband Engine will deliver 1 TFLOPS peak.

If Sony fail to deliver 1 TFLOPS peak Broadband Engine, Sony can shaft those BEs down DMGA throat, because I don't want it. :devilish:

V3; <thumbs up>

PS. Good usage of the word "shaft"

EDIT: I often feel with conversation here about the Broadband Engine that it's analogous to us debating the validity of the Emotion Engine as described in Suzuoki's patent back in 1997. With the constant being DMGA. ;)

interesting thing in this patent of possible futur vectorial APU

http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph...&s1=20030037221&OS=20030037221&RS=20030037221

An improved processor implementation is described in which scalar and vector processing components are merged to reduce complexity. In particular, the implementation includes a scalar-vector register file for storing scalar and vector instructions, as well as a parallel vector unit comprising functional units that can process vector or scalar instructions as required. A further aspect of the invention provides the ability to disable unused functional units in the parallel vector unit, such as during a scalar operation, to achieve significant power savings.

It is, therefore, an object of the invention to provide a microprocessor implementation which (1) reduces the overall processor core size such that vector (multimedia) processing and scalar data processing are integrated and share common execution resources, (2) achieves this by merging the capabilities of scalar and SIMD data processing, (3) does not compromise SIMD data processing performance and (4) does not unnecessarily increase power consumption and heat dissipation

Nice find, Vince uncovered it quite a bit of time ago ( and so have been the other 2 about the PE and a SMP configurations of PEs ) still it showed good initiative on your part.

I think it has been discussed too in some thread...

which scalar and vector processing components are merged to reduce complexity.
So what? It simply eliminates the need to keep a separate scalar pipe. It in no way makes a vector processor's die to be as small as that of scalar processor... If you are implying that APU will be as small as the VU, it won't be.

such as during a scalar operation, to achieve significant power savings.
Chips are designs for the worst case scenario. Suppose you have all 8 APUs running at full time in a PE, how much power would it burn???

So what? It simply eliminates the need to keep a separate scalar pipe. It in no way makes a vector processor's die to be as small as that of scalar processor... If you are implying that APU will be as small as the VU, it won't be.

Reducing complexity is always a plus though.

Chips are designs for the worst case scenario. Suppose you have all 8 APUs running at full time in a PE, how much power would it burn???

According to you, isn't that scenario, impossible ?

I mean you even have this FLOPS/byte theory to prove it.

Or is there a crack in the armour ?

How the hell am i trolling????

jesus, u say something good about Sony/MS/Nint, and u're a Sony/Ms/Nint fanboi,

u say something against them, u're a troll...

bloody hell...

How is saying expecting 1Tflop for Ps3 is being optimistic , and then looking shocked after someone said he will throw ps3 away if it doesnt reach 1Tflop considered trolling?? Fair enough, that might not have been the way i wrote it, but jesus...

i mean, did V3's post contribute to the thread? :rolleyes:

EDITED: oh sorry, reading it again, not throw it away, but throw it down DMGA's throat... now THAT'S CONTRIBUTING :rolleyes:

DMGA,
$299! $299! Two Ninety-Nine. Nothing more better less. That be the price. $399 is too generous. ;)

ANYHOW, as always, who cares about this techie hippy flops 256 367 talk? BE exists? oookay. 1000Teeteeflop? ooooh. VPU TPU APU...Yeay for Sony i guess.

NOW can it, unlike EE, do the special and give far out 3D over the rest? That, my good brudders, is the question. Sure, one of you will get it right eventually, but the resulting 3D is hurhur and the CELL revolution is hmmhmm...i say that victory is waay hollow(or double power SLAM! VoV :LOL: VoV, depending on which side you are on.) :oops:

chapback said:
DMGA,
$299! $299! Two Ninety-Nine. Nothing more better less. That be the price. $399 is too generous. ;)

ANYHOW, as always, who cares about this techie hippy flops 256 367 talk? BE exists? oookay. 1000Teeteeflop? ooooh. VPU TPU APU...Yeay for Sony i guess.

NOW can it, unlike EE, do the special and give far out 3D over the rest? That, my good brudders, is the question. Sure, one of you will get it right eventually, but the resulting 3D is hurhur and the CELL revolution is hmmhmm...i say that victory is waay hollow(or double power SLAM! VoV :LOL: VoV, depending on which side you are on.) :oops:

You're most decidedly not my brother - literally or figuratively. Ohh, and what the hell did you just try to convey? I'm seriously confused between the "3D is hurhur" and "double power SLAM! VoV"

oh nutting me pal. :)
jus hoping for best for all my good psbrudders. be that CELL be the new king of the home silicon or something(i hate legacy x86 imho ;)) and the PS3 be far-n-away TERAfloppingly good visually/audiolly/whateverly and i would love for 5 years unsurpassed physics/life-rendering and more whacaca for the rest i forgotten...

PS2 wasnt much the huff after all the pre-stuffs. Lovey me $299 PS3 if it can go at least 2-up on PS2 hardware. It be nice if i can play Minority Report with it too! :oops:

chapback said:
DMGA,

A new world record in unintelligibility, I must say. I thought the purpose of language was for the communication of ideas - I guess that's no longer true.

Oh, and I must of missed something - why is he called chapback now? Did he get banned? Or did he erase his account cookies and forget his password?

Perhaps, "Chaptrap" would have been a more appropriate new username? :idea: (a variation of "claptrap", if that didn't make any sense :) )

Chap, can you list the names of all your previous English teachers? I feel the need to quench some neo-Darwinistic urges to purge the gene pool of such people.

Apparently English is not his first language. In which case he could be excused. Still, he has proved that he can actually write very comprehensible posts in the past, so i'm not sure why he keeps on pretending he's stupid when he clearly is not.

I understand english, but i aint english speakerth! My words of descriptions are limited, it be hard to find the right english to say it well, sometimes i have to use average words and they be no good and that got me semantics-alized! :LOL: no chioce to use some basic feelings to express meself.

well sorry all good brudders! i be trying to do it more better! chapback is next generation stuffs i tell ya! :LOL:

chapback said:
I understand english, but i aint english speakerth! My words of descriptions are limited, it be hard to find the right english to say it well, sometimes i have to use average words and they be no good and that got me semantics-alized! :LOL: no chioce to use some basic feelings to express meself.

well sorry all good brudders! i be trying to do it more better! chapback is next generation stuffs i tell ya! :LOL:

You can at least leave out the bad stuff... like hohohoahaha and whacaca to name a few...

And it still doesn't explain how u managed to write very good posts some time ago.. Unless those weren't your posts...

Back