Oblivion on 360 gets another patch thanks to PS3 development.

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by nintenho, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

Clear your X360 cache

2. Nick Laslett

Regular

Oblivion is a great game.

But it sure had a lot of gameplay bugs in the Xbox360 version.

I hope they have done something about that for the PS3.

It does rather kill you will to continue when certain bugs happen.

3. nintenho

Veteran

Bethesda/1up response since I know nothing:
    http://boards.1up.com/zd/board/message?board.id=show&message.id=98453

not my reason, their's.

4. Bobbler

Bobbler Shazbot!
    Veteran

That post (seems from some random person?) is sort of devoid of content.

It doesn't tell us anything -- it mentions a bunch of generic information (which is only partially correct) and nothing informative from Bethesda. I definitely doesn't look like a response from 1up or Bethesda.

Just curious, what made this post seem like it was notable, Nintenho? Maybe I missed it, but it seems like a random post from a normal forumite which explains nothing and only reinforces the current confusion with pseudo-information.

5. nintenho

Veteran

I don't know but I tried asking in another thread and nobody from 1up answered so the best response was what I assume is a press release.

Might be from an admin if they can make a new thread about it?

6. chroniceyestrain

Newcomer

That sure doesn't look like a response from Bethesda or 1up.

7. swanlee

Newcomer

Is it that hard to believe that the PS3 is having some issues due to the split memory design? Also the interview says you cannot load all DL content at the same time due to memory issues it doesn't say they aren't going to make it available just you have to pick and choose what you load at ONE time.

When you start a game of oblivion at the menu screen it pauses for a second and then says LOADING ADDITIONAL CONTENT, this is loaded into memory so when playing you have access to all the DL content in your game, if the PS3 has less system memory to load all of this content it's going to cause problems which is what is happening here with the PS3.

The solution is at the menu screen they are probably going to make you choose what content you load into memory, you can DL all the content you want but you can only play so much of it at a time.

It doesn't seem like it's that hard to understand, it's funny people second guessing the devs on this they know more than any of you do about this issue.

#67 swanlee, Feb 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2007
    Tap In likes this.
  8. Todd33

Veteran Banned

I had to stop there, some random shmo on their forums? You have to love the net, people pretend to be experts and all the hack tech sites quote them like it's gospel.

So in other words we still don't know what the real reason is.

9. Tap In

Legend

I'm pretty sure we have been able to deduce a few of the distinct possibilities.

1) RAM.

10. Todd33

Veteran Banned

Video or system? What is it about DLC that makes it different from the actual game? It defies logic IMO.

11. Darkon

Regular

ps3 oblivion owners are going to get micro transaction raped i'm pretty sure of that .

12. scooby_dooby

Legend

No it's pretty simple logically actually. They do not expect huge sales for the PS3 version, therefore the budget for workarounds and porting is very small, given the small budget they decided not to do the workarounds required to deal with PS3's split memory pool, instead just cutting the content that couldn't fit in available ram.

It's either that, or PR, but I can't see a good reason why they would not offer the DLC if there was no technical problem. It's certainly not because Sony is not letting them charge users. Perhaps it's simply a problem with the Sony Online infrastructure which is probably fairly immature still.

13. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

Heh. How oximoronic. For "free" on 360. I was under the impression that the game ran horribly on 360, ignoring the cache issues no less. A 15% fps loss would show up as 1 fps if it's crawling already. :lol:

14. aselto

Regular

I played it in December and it hardly ever dropped frames. Maybe some updates improved the game's performance. Tha game on 1up show seemed very smooth, too. I don't imagine that Oblivion could run at 7fps as you suggest.:wink:

15. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

That post didn't make a whole lot of direct sense, other than to allude to the fact that the PS3 might reserve more memory for the OS and that might be the limitation. Not sure what vertex processing and bandwidth has to do with it.

If RAM is the issue, and they can't use the HD as an intelligent pre-buffer of sorts, then I wonder if HDR is further hampering memory use? For instance, if, in addition to giving a little more up to the OS, the PS3 "loses" yet more to FP16 (rather than FP10). I don't know how AA (is the 360's EDRAM like an extra 10MB?) or rendered res (are they fixed at 720p, or can they render lower, like I hear of some 360 games, and scale to 720p at the end?) factors into this, either.

16. Bad_Boy

Bad_Boy god of war.
    Veteran

Has there been any examples of multiplatform DLC yet?

17. TheChosenOne

Newcomer

New IGN Preview

There is a new preview of the PS3 version up on IGN along with new screens.

Click Here

Looks like the PS3 version gets faster load times and fewer instances of slowdown than the 360 version.

18. Pete

Pete Moderate Nuisance
    Moderator Veteran

The last two paragraphs are the relevant ones in that IGN preview. Some choice quotes:

So, they've reduced load times, nice, but the most interesting part is they've simultaneously improved streaming in new data while upgrading to "much sharper" textures. Very promising, and seemingly very at odds with the current speculation of insufficient RAM (though IGN confirms that not all eight of the "plug-ins", a k a extra content, will ship at launch, they don't say if it's a system limitation).

19. Tap In

Legend

well I'd hope so considering it was a year ago since it was first released.

20. rounin

Veteran

I thought we all learned that porting to a new architecture is not exactly trivial. Getting the same quality shouldn't be taken for granted, and getting better than the original within this timeframe deserves praise. Granted, for low-caliber games, it can be arguable, but for a game the Xbox360 owners have been raving about as a technical feat for so long, and one that has won RPG of the year awards, its something admirable.

Besides, with all the negativity facing Xbox360 to PS3 ports lately from certain members of the forum, and in particular the doubts put on the BR drive's loading times, this is a welcome change of pace.