Oblivion on 360 gets another patch thanks to PS3 development.

nintenho

Veteran
Since they had to redo the renderer for PS3, a coder found a way to use shaders to make the background look a lot better. And since the 360 has a unified shader architecture, it gets the fix for free.

Bad news for PS3 fans is because of the memory they physically aren't able to load all the DLC on the game, and there isn't a solution yet. So they may have to pick and choose because adding all of it causes a performance hit.

The new expansion looks awesome.

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3145462
Very f***ing awesome.

The "from Opa-ages" part makes me a bit wary of whatever the post contains.

Anyone with half a brain or more stays the hell away from opa-ages.

Who is Bacon anyways?

It'd be neat if true, but there's been so much rumored crap about Oblivion that I can hardly take a comment from a person I've never heard of, from opa-ages, no less, as anything but a pitch from a salt salesman.

1UP show.

He summarized what they said.

Ahh -- you should probably have put that in the original post =p

Sounds good then!

I'm curious, is there mention that the improved backgrounds be included in the PS3 version as well? Seems like they would -- of course there is still that little memory issue (although it's not quite clear -- why would the mini expansion stuff need to be loaded into memory all the time?).

Ahh -- you should probably have put that in the original post =p
Sounds good then!
I'm curious, is there mention that the improved backgrounds be included in the PS3 version as well? Seems like they would -- of course there is still that little memory issue (although it's not quite clear -- why would the mini expansion stuff need to be loaded into memory all the time?).
yeah, memory issue means not all of the DLC from the 360 version (Horse armor, Mehrune's razor, etc.) will be in there but the PS3 version includes the Knights of the Nine expansion. They mention this when talking about a new 30 hour expansion for Oblvion but I doubt that would be downloadable or included on the disk with Knights of the Nine.

yeah, memory issue means not all of the DLC from the 360 version (Horse armor, Mehrune's razor, etc.) will be in there but the PS3 version includes the Knights of the Nine expansion.

It sounds like BS to me. Did they exactly say that? The game already has several thousand items, yet it can't have few additional ones because of a memory issue?:oops:

So Orignal game + DLC > 25GB? It can't be RAM, you don't load the game into RAM in any version....

I don't think 1Up is reporting this correctly.

WTF does the unified shader architecture have with the ability to backport an improvement onto the 360 codebase?

I think his exact words were: "Because the shaders are-like a unified part of the architecture, 360 is going to get that fix."

WTF does the unified shader architecture have with the ability to backport an improvement onto the 360 codebase?

It doesn't really... that's likely a misinterpretation by "Bacon"

It likely has more to do with the fact that shader code is a lot easier to port over (especially when a lot of the optimizations for RSX are likely helpful to Xenos as well), so any improvements they've stumbled upon while porting over the PS3 just needs a recompile for the 360 and they'll work there -- that'd be my guess.

It doesn't really... that's likely a misinterpretation by "Bacon"

It likely has more to do with the fact that shader code is a lot easier to port over (especially when a lot of the optimizations for RSX are likely helpful to Xenos as well), so any improvements they've stumbled upon while porting over the PS3 just needs a recompile for the 360 and they'll work there -- that'd be my guess.

Golden cookie award for Bobbler! This is how I read it elsewhere actually, that shaders are pretty much completely portable code and the solution found is something that can be used on the 360 as well as it is a shader centric solution.

That DLC part sounds like pure BS to me. PS3 can't get horse armor because of memory limitations? :LOL: lol

But how the heck can they port this "shader" over to the 360 version!? With DLC? You can improved a game visual with DLC?

But how the heck can they port this "shader" over to the 360 version!? With DLC? You can improved a game visual with DLC?

yes a small patch that DLs and installs seamlessly when the game boots up and you're logged into live.

That DLC part sounds like pure BS to me. PS3 can't get horse armor because of memory limitations? :LOL: lol

well some of the posts in the tech forum by multiplatform devs have hinted at running into Ram problems when going from 360 (more available) to PS3, so anything is possible if you're maxed out I suppose.

well some of the posts in the tech forum by multiplatform devs have hinted at running into Ram problems when going from 360 (more available) to PS3, so anything is possible if you're maxed out I suppose.
I could see if it were slightly worse textures, but horse armor? o_O Hows that much different from having a different creature on the screen with an expansion pack.

lol IIRC this comment comes from Garnett, whos not the brightest guy on the show(infamous on gaf for not knowing what hes talking about on the 1up yours podcast). He once said blu-ray couldnt play DVD's. :LOL:

Not trying to knock the guy, because he has his smart moments as well, but personally I wouldnt go to the guy for correct information.

Back