Nvidia Turing Architecture [2018]

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by pharma, Sep 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. del42sa

Newcomer

Yes, there´s no API, to my knowledge AMD never released any SDK regarding to Primitive Shaders and last but not least it´s not working on GFX9 hardware anyway, so why bother ?

Nvidia version seems quite more complex than AMD version and I think it need very certain software support and on top of that new version of API support. I think both companies working hard on that with MS and Khronos as well.

2. pharma

Veteran Regular

NVIDIA Stabilizes Its Vulkan/OpenGL Ray-Tracing Extension
    November 1, 2018
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NVIDIA-NV_ray_tracing

3. keldor

Newcomer

I'm not surprised that it's been finalized so fast. Remember, it takes *years* to go from initial design to final production for a GPU, so Nvidia would have been working on the API long before now. In fact, RTX/DXR is pretty much a clone of Nvidia's own Optix API, which has been around for close to a decade now. It's probably best to consider "experimental" as Nvidia's way of asking if anyone wants tweaks to be made before the final version, particularly since whatever they decide now will probably shape APIs for many years to come - they need to get it right now.

OCASM, milk and pharma like this.
  4. Ethatron

Regular Subscriber

It's called Optix.

5. keldor

Newcomer

Did you read the next sentence? :p

BRiT likes this.
  6. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

I did at least, and I'm wondering why would you say "RTX/DXR"? To my understanding they're quite a different thing, one being NV's 'middleware' between their cards and DXR, and DXR isn't a clone of Optix (or any other competing API for that matter) any more than DX12 is a clone of Mantle (which obviously it isn't, even if it did loan a lot of ideas and even implementations).

7. Ethatron

Regular Subscriber

Uh, tunnel-vision. Mechanically yes, mentally no. Sorry. :)
    RTX _is_ Optix's lower layer, not a reimplementation or something farther away.

8. pharma

Veteran Regular

Accelerated Ray Tracing in One Weekend in CUDA
    November 5, 2018
    https://devblogs.nvidia.com/accelerated-ray-tracing-cuda/

A1xLLcqAgt0qc2RyMz0y and OCASM like this.
  9. DavidGraham

Veteran

10. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Lightman, OCASM and pharma like this.
  11. DavidGraham

Veteran

#171 DavidGraham, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    vipa899, milk, Lightman and 4 others like this.
  12. pixeljetstream

Newcomer

13. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Correction: The reviewer didn't notice "practically any difference", which means pretty much "there's a difference but you probably won't notice it"

BRiT and milk like this.
  14. DavidGraham

Veteran

Actually no, if you continue reading, he clearly states: "If there's a catch to having CAS on at this resolution, I didn't see one".
    The developer and NVIDIA also state the tech doesn't affect visual fidelity:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/612880/discussions/0/3104564981118189993/?ctp=2

pharma likes this.
  15. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

That quote doesn't actually say there isn't a difference (which his earlier statement in the same review says there is), just that for him the diffrences are so minute they don't affect the experience.
    PR-speak is PR-speak, there's a difference regardless if one notices it or not, unless you're suggesting the devs actually hand pick pixel by pixel shading fidelity so it actually doesn't change a thing on the screen, but if that would be the case, why would there be several different options to choose from?

BRiT likes this.
  16. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

The setting must control the instruction counts; the higher options execute more NOPs. :yep2:

egoless likes this.
  17. DavidGraham

Veteran

Again, no. If there was a difference he would have shown it in screenshots, or talked about it in detail. You are literally changing the meaning of his words and putting new words in his mouth. The guy unequivocally denies spotting any difference.
    I would trust the developer to know more about their tech than anyone else.
    Maybe there could be subtle differences in other scenes and under certain conditions (lower resolution for example), just not in the one review @4K that we have now.

18. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Riddle me this: why does a reviewer say "I saw practically no difference in image quality" if he means "I saw no difference in image quality" or "there is no difference in image quality"? I don't think I'm the one twisting his words here, that's the only direct quote on image quality from him.

The fact is, if there was no quality loss there wouldn't be different quality settings, heck, there wouldn't be any settings at all, it would just be always on.

19. DavidGraham

Veteran

You definitely are taking his words out of context, he had two quotes on the matter:
    He literally double confirms the absence of any difference. Add to that the developer confirmation about maintaining fidelity and you have a pretty solid case of: NO there isn't a difference.
    Again, there could be differences under specific conditions and under lower resolutions or detail, they could easily be contingencies for running the game at less than max settings, and or low fps. Without input from the developer, you can't jump to conclusions about this, especially when there is a mountain of statements denying the presence of a difference.

#179 DavidGraham, Nov 24, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    pharma likes this.
  20. BRiT

BRiT (╯°□°)╯
    Moderator Legend Alpha Subscriber

Nope. Words have meanings. In particular, "practically".