Nvidia shows signs in [2021]

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by pharma, Jan 5, 2021.

1. CarstenS

Legend Veteran Subscriber

This seems new: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...idia-corporation-public-interest-intervention

Lightman, Malo and ethernity like this.
  2. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

It doesn't really get into detail but I assume by "intervention", it means that the Secretary of State is launching their own investigation into the purchase as opposed to any denial of purchase.

3. pharma

Veteran Regular

Nvidia GANverse3D "inflates flat images into realistic 3D models" - Graphics - News - HEXUS.net

Lightman and PSman1700 like this.
  4. Jay

Jay
    Veteran Regular

5. manux

Veteran Regular

Nvidia stock is going to be split 4 for 1. I suppose the idea is to make it easier to buy stock. Does this still matter? Isn't it possible to buy fractional shares on some services?

https://www.fool.com/investing/2021/05/21/nvidia-announces-4-for-1-stock-split/

6. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

It’s purely psychological to make the stock appear “cheaper”. It’s not like people invest in stocks with just a few hundred dollars at a time anyway.

7. manux

Veteran Regular

I know people who invest small sums via robin hood. I believe they use fractional shares to be able to buy a piece of amazon for example.

#47 manux, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
  8. Sxotty

Legend Veteran

It is also annoying because you cannot use limits on fractional shares so I could see why this would be beneficial. When Tesla was included in the s&p 500 I wanted to take my retirement and make my own s&p version without Tesla but that is way too much work for one as lazy as me and having super expensive shares made it hard to balance it for specific companies.

#48 Sxotty, May 24, 2021
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
    manux likes this.
  9. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

IIRC in the US, stocks are mostly traded by 100-share units in stock exchanges. So it can still be helpful, especially for employees with stock options (they'll likely have to trade with a broker instead of using services like Robinhood).

10. manux

Veteran Regular

11. pharma

Veteran Regular

Nvidia posts another record-beating quarter, guides for revenue upside | Seeking Alpha
    • Nvidia (NASDAQ:NVDA) reports first quarter beats that set new records for total, gaming, and data center revenue and guided for an upside second quarter.
    • Sales in Q1 were up 84% Y/Y to $5.66B as the pandemic- and cryptomining-related graphics cards tailwind continued. Adjusted EPS of $3.66 came in a solid $0.38 ahead of estimates.
    • Gaming revenue was up 106% Y/Y and 11% Q/Q to $2.76B.
    • Data Center sales were up 79% Y/Y and 8% Q/Q to $2.05B.
    • Adjusted gross margin was 66.2% versus the 66% consensus.
    • “Mellanox, one year in, has exceeded our expectations and transformed NVIDIA into a data-center-scale computing company. We continue to make headway with our planned acquisition of Arm, which will accelerate innovation and growth for the Arm ecosystem. From gaming, cloud computing, AI, robotics, self-driving cars, to genomics and computational biology, NVIDIA continues to do impactful work to invent a better future,” says CEO Jensen Huang.
    • For Q2, revenue is expected to be within 2% of $6.3B (consensus: $5.48B), non-GAAP gross margin within 50 bps of 66.5%, and adjusted operating expenses of $1.26B.

12. pharma

Veteran Regular

NVIDIA Claims 3x Higher Gaming Revenue than AMD as GeForce Continues to Squeeze Radeon | Hardware Times
    June 3, 2021

13. pharma

Veteran Regular

GPU Sales Increased 39 Percent in 2020 | TechPowerUp
    [​IMG]

#53 pharma, Jun 8, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Lightman likes this.
  14. DavidGraham

Veteran

15. CarstenS

I would love to see DLSS reconstruction tech ported to FP32/16 shaders. Then we could see how much of a speedup the tensor cores really deliver.

With raytracing, Nvidia did allow their older GTX cards to show how "fast" they are compared to RT cores. But that was because of a massive speedup, so there were only laurels to be had.

Dampf, Kidra, BRiT and 3 others like this.
  16. pharma

Veteran Regular

Arm Is RTX ON (guru3d.com)

#56 pharma, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Lightman, Dampf and PSman1700 like this.