NVIDIA Maxwell Speculation Thread

Both Kepler and Maxwell supports CUDA 6, does not mean they are the same arch.
Not CUDA software version, but CUDA compute capability
GK104, 106 and 107 are 3.0
GK110 and 208 are 3.5
GM107 and 108 are 5.0 (yes, they skipped 4)

The very first slide of the GTC 2014 keynote has escaped comment so far. What could it mean?

A clue about hexacore Tegra 6?
6 Denver cores on big Maxwell?
The grids of green boxes don't jibe with either. Yet this slide is clearly presented on purpose. Please speculate!
KeynoteMystery.png

I think this is learning from the largely unnoticed Maxwell presentation slide-fail, where Kepler was being depicted as having 256 ALUs per SMX.

So, this green giant on the right with it's 2x 21x11-config is something very odd - IMO on purpose. The left side - given the coloring - should be represenative of current CPUs.

The very first slide of the GTC 2014 keynote has escaped comment so far. What could it mean?

A clue about hexacore Tegra 6?
6 Denver cores on big Maxwell?
The grids of green boxes don't jibe with either. Yet this slide is clearly presented on purpose. Please speculate!
KeynoteMystery.png
Hexacore Denver + 1056(?) Maxwell cores.
Perhaps this is using 16nm?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is an abstraction? You're not meant to count the squares or identify the blue chip with any real product.

Even the Tegra K1 "die shots" (both ARMv7 and ARMv8 versions) are artistic views.

That would make the response time to a page miss on the GPU rather long ... hopefully the GPU has it's own processor to act like a TLB and "cache" controller using something like ARC to migrate pages between system memory and the GPU.

Just bought a 860M notebook, without recompilation/changing any codes, in terms of efficiency (in terms of achieved flops/iops against theoetrical flops/iops etc) GM107 offer 10+% improvement over GK110.

And unlike Kepler, Maxwell's 32bit FMA can work at full speed.

2nd Gen Maxwell will be out later this year. GM204 and GM206 are on track for a release towards late Q3/early Q4. The info I've heard is that GM204 is currently being taped out at TSMC and first silicon is expected back from the fab sometime next month. GM206 is slightly behind GM204 and there is a "big Maxwell" GM200 in the pipeline as well.

I noticed the change in graph as well. I think its just marketing. The graph from the old roadmap looked more linear, whereas the new one looks more exponential.

Nope, NV is not going to give up the "big chip" strategy just yet. As stated above, GM200 does exist and will be released as the last member of the family, just like the Kepler generation.

Which manufacturing processes?

The DX12 feature is the pixel ordered UAV.
Pixelsync would be the name of the hardware feature that enables it for Intel, which in turn enables programmable blending and efficient OIT.

That is why Nvidia claimed 20nm was essentially worthless. Not only because of costs but because it would be replaced by a more advance process extremely quickly.

Back