Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Reviews

Unlaunching The 12GB 4080​

The RTX 4080 12GB is a fantastic graphics card, but it’s not named right. Having two GPUs with the 4080 designation is confusing.

So, we’re pressing the “unlaunch” button on the 4080 12GB. The RTX 4080 16GB is amazing and on track to delight gamers everywhere on November 16th.

wuuuut ?
not surprising, imho they have been caught with their asses in the air when they discovered that the 4090 did not include the latest technologies such as DisplayPort 2.0 -which is where that tech would work best- and PCI 5.0 and there were youtubers like Linus who commented on it, because GPUs like new Intel models feature Displayport 2.0. With that poor excuse, they'll want to change the specs to add those modern features.

RTX 3050 at 250 is GA106, not GA107. GA107 RTX3050 was 200.
I was aware, but I thought GA107 was only launched in laptops. AD107 should have a similar number of transistors to GA106, so they can target the same price and AD107 will benefit from higher clock speeds.

They clearly doctored the whole launch to sell more Ampere cards, they chose very misleading performance figures, they could've easily picked any one of the dozens of tests that showed the 4090 to be doube the 3090, but they didn't, instead chose the tests with probably the lowest uplift possible at 4K.
Ah, so the reason for the ambarrassment simply is that the new GPUs are even more fantastic and awesome as we knew before?
Thanks for pointing this out. It cures my saddness about now having lost the fantastic one.

And to the rest of you - i don't know why you all seem so happy and amused? There should be a minute of mourning!
Our friends, which gave us Radix Sort, PacMan, Gauss-Seidel, the C64, mermaids in hot tub, stereoscopic flicker, and have invented ray tracing, are in deep trouble! :mad:

Ah, so the reason for the ambarrassment simply is that the new GPUs are even more fantastic and awesome as we knew before?
Thanks for pointing this out. It cures my saddness about now having lost the fantastic one.

And to the rest of you - i don't know why you all seem so happy and amused? There should be a minute of mourning!
Our friends, which gave us Radix Sort, PacMan, Gauss-Seidel, the C64, mermaids in hot tub, stereoscopic flicker, and have invented ray tracing, are in deep trouble! :mad:

You okay dude?

I have a feeling that NV doesn't really care much if 4080 16 GB (or the cancelled card) sell much right now. They likely have orders of magnitude more 3xxx chips in the channel that need to be cleared out. So an absurdly high priced 4080 basically serves to try to convince consumers to pay "MSRP" for 3xxx cards so that they can still get high margins from 3xxx.

Once channel supply of 3xxx chipped cards starts to actually die out and/or IF AMD release a competitive card, we'll likely see a substantial drop in the "MSRP" of the 4080 16 GB as NV will then actually have a reason/need to sell it.

Regards,
SB

The company will send out waves of invites to join the queue through the GeForce Experience, giving users a unique URL to obtain a Founders Edition card. In many instances, this unique URL will lead you to a partnered retailer with access to Founders Edition stock.
Unfortunately, priority access isn't available worldwide. For now, it's exclusive to specific countries and retailers, but the program is still in a testing phase, so we may see it grow in the future. The list of retailers and respective counties is the following:

• Best Buy (United States)
  • Scan (United Kingdom)
  • NBB (Germany & Netherlands)
  • LDLC (France, Italy, and Spain)
At this point, it's unclear how Nvidia selects which users get an invite. At the very least, you will need to have GeForce Experience installed in order to get one.

I think Nvidia probably did some market research stuff and realized the 4080 12GB wouldn't sell and it would cost them money. They probably should have seen that coming, but at least they took action before launch. The gpu market was totally different when they were designing the thing, but prices have dropped drastically in recent months.

I think Nvidia probably did some market research stuff and realized the 4080 12GB wouldn't sell and it would cost them money. They probably should have seen that coming, but at least they took action before launch. The gpu market was totally different when they were designing the thing, but prices have dropped drastically in recent months.

The 12GB never made sense regardless of crypto or the overall market situation. The performance gap with the 16GB was silly. The killer though was the terrible performance/$ vs the 3080.

The 12GB never made sense regardless of crypto or the overall market situation. The performance gap with the 16GB was silly. The killer though was the terrible performance/$ vs the 3080.

I think the weirdness of having two very different 4080s wouldn't have mattered if there wasn't a large used market and the prices of the 30 series were still higher.

So, should we use rated power consumption for a card as a guide to price?:
  • 450W = $1600
  • 400W = $1200
  • 350W = $1000
  • 300W = $800
  • 275W = $700
  • 250W = $600
  • 225W = $500
  • 200W = $450
  • 175W = $400
  • 150W = $350
  • 125W = $300
  • 100W = $250
  • 75W = $200
:eek:

what happened with 450W cards if being run at 200W? will it be the same performance as 200W? slower? faster? it refuse to run games?

what happened with 450W cards if being run at 200W? will it be the same performance as 200W? slower? faster? it refuse to run games?
7PWiP8t.jpg

At 40% power target (180W) you'd get around 60% of the 100% power target (450W) performance.

With that poor excuse, they'll want to change the specs to add those modern features.
Yeah, that's not going to happen and would require completely new chip with new display controller. PCIe might be artificially limited (some confusing statements iirc) but that's not going to change either

Last edited:
Does this special nVidia invite system also partner with an installment loan partner like automobile dealerships do?
BestBuy offers various payment plans (up to 24 months), though not sure about the other overseas Founders Edition partners.

Back