Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 Reviews

You mean $900.
that's the theory where I live. Say, if the MSRP is 900€, then the actual price in stores is going to be around 1100€ 'cos of the VAT.

On another note, GTA V running at 4K, 8K, and 16K o_O:oops::alien::eek: on the 4090.

This card is around 4x faster in raster and 6x with rt than ps5/xsx, thats almost like ps6 level we could predict, nice

This card is around 4x faster in raster and 6x with rt than ps5/xsx, thats almost like ps6 level we could predict, nice
I should hope so as this GPU is 2x to 2.5x power consumption in games without even including the rest of the system CPU, RAM, MB, Storage, etc...

So until they can get the likely 600 - 700 Watt system down to 200 Watts it still won't be a realistic estimate of next-gen consoles.

So until they can get the likely 600 - 700 Watt system down to 200 Watts it still won't be a realistic estimate of next-gen consoles.
I feel like costs will be a much bigger issue for next gen consoles than power consumption.
You can still get a sizeable performance gain inside the same wattage, you'll just need a bigger chip (and this includes a possible system-of-chiplets with several processing dies too).

Microsoft has already expressed that releasing next generation consoles is challenged due to increasing chip costs, power draw, decreasing leaps etc. Theres a reason why their investing so much into gamepass, streaming, rolling generations etc.

imho, this card is like two console generations and even by then it can compete pretty well. Back into the power consumption debate, GTA V at 16K uses 320W to 330W of power consumption.

imho, this card is like two console generations and even by then it can compete pretty well. Back into the power consumption debate, GTA V at 16K uses 320W to 330W of power consumption.
usualy we have 6-8x jump in performance in consoles generation so for sure not two, but having this performacne in 2022 when nextgen will be around 2027 is impressive

Two console generations is 12-14 years. This definitely isn’t two console generations or even a single one.

The PS6 is likely 5 years away at the earliest and that’s two generations worth of gpus at least. An RTX 6060 Ti could realistically come close to a 4090.

I did some small experiments overclocking my 4090 (it's a Gigabyte Gaming OC version, BIOS set at OC).
It's default OC setting is not very high, boost clock @ 2535MHz. In normal workloads I observed that its actual GPU clock max @ ~2720MHz.
I use Cyberpunk 2077 1.6 with all settings to the max (RT Psycho) 4K DLSS Quality and the built-in benchmark. I use this game because my CPU is a 5800X and it's obviously CPU limited in many situation. Cyberpunk 2077 seems to be most likely to be less CPU limited. The settings are also what I intend to play the game with (though I'm also looking forward to the "overdrive" mode).
The tool I used for adjust OC settings is MSI Afterburner 4.6.5 beta 2.

I tried four OC settings:

- No OC (factory default): 69.38 fps
- Voltage +100, Power 110%, OC Scanner (curve): 70.72 fps (+1.9%)
- Voltage +100, Power 110%, Core +125MHz, Memory +200MHz): 70.98 fps (+2.3%)
- Voltage +100, Power 110%, Core +150MHz, Memory +1000MHz): 71.70 fps (+3.3%)

I didn't try to increase power more as I only have a 850W PSU, but from the numbers I guess it's not going to be much higher anyway, as the clock is already near 3000MHz when running the benchmarks.

Yea, it seems like there's not much to be gained from overclocking these GPUs as they're voltage limited not power limited.

The settings are also what I intend to play the game with (though I'm also looking forward to the "overdrive" mode).

Has anyone “reviewed” the overdrive mode yet? Seems like it might actually bring visible improvements.
  • Nvidia RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI)gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting.
  • Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution’s single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections
  • Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality
  • Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques

Back