NVIDIA Are the Industry Standard Shader Driving Force?

radar1200gs seems to have a bad case of single IHV rapture.....and nothing anyone can say will help the blind see......

Russ - why the term "dicks'? Especially when the reference is made while mentioning someone who would name their site "Hard"....... :rolleyes:

Micron - somehow, the mention of "dicks" and "eating" in the same sentence is a bit bothersome..... not that I'm greatly homophobic..... :rolleyes: (I'd use the wink, but someone might get the wrong idea! ;) )

Kyle gets treated badly everywhere now, even his own site! Could it be because he's the one that's a "dick"? The reason he doesn't come here is, as has been said, he really cannot defend his position - or maybe that should be opinion. As time has gone on, and more has come to light, his "opinion" is even more absurd.

<---You didnt see this kid saying the word's "dick" and "eat" in the same sentence....care to elaborate?

It's not because he is that everyone needs to be one also on this forum ;)

radar1200gs> If you don't see what DaveB is saying, then i think you should look at your reasonning. Mays i suggest: "Questions that Matters: an Invitation to philosophy" from Ed. Miller, especiallty chap 2: A Little Logic. 8)

radar1200gs said:
nVIdia has no moral problems where ATi is concerned either. I have not seen them talk down ATi they way ATi has talked them down since the release of R300.

ATi are the ones running their mouths, not nVidia.

You obviously don't see many nVidia interviews and press releases - David Kirk's comments in particular often seem to descend to 'talking down ATi' in my experience.

To be honest, it's good to see ATi responding to some of the garbage that comes out of nVidia these days - They used to stay quiet about them rather than giving their version of events, then people would start using nVidia's statements as fact.

micron said:
<---You didnt see this kid saying the word's "dick" and "eat" in the same sentence....care to elaborate?

Sorry Micron - was Russ's reply to your "rubber & glue" comment that flustered me.... The whole "dick" thing is pretty weird.

Please accept my apology......

martrox said:
Russ - why the term "dicks'? Especially when the reference is made while mentioning someone who would name their site "Hard"....... :rolleyes:

pipes.jpg

I'd certainly like to see some examples of anybody at nVidia, Kirk included saying anything negative about ATi since the launch of NV30.

nVidia has talked about and hyped their own products, not ATi's.

martrox said:
micron said:

Sorry Micron - was Russ's reply to your "rubber & glue" comment that flustered me.... The whole "dick" thing is pretty weird.

Please accept my apology......
The "whole eat my enemy" thing refers to a comment in I made about demanding the right to cannibalism as an absurdist argument to the "homosexuality appears in nature, so I demand the right to marry" thread going on in the general forum.

If the word 'dick' bothers you. Mentally replace it with 'asshole'. Though that doesn't jive well with the eat theme either. OK...try "rude person".

The phrase's "your a dick" or "quit being a dick" are so common here in Ca., I just dont find anything homosexual about it...
Standard term.....

radar1200gs said:
I'd certainly like to see some examples of anybody at nVidia, Kirk included saying anything negative about ATi since the launch of NV30.

nVidia has talked about and hyped their own products, not ATi's.

Perhaps not since the NV30 launch (he's not stupid enough to knock the competition with nVidia in their current position), but in the days of the Radeon 8500 I remember Kirk slating ATi's aniso implementation on at least one occasion, amongst other things.

EDIT: Speaking of which, here's a classic David Kirk quote from the past. Enjoy!!

The lit triangles test in 3Dmark2001 renders a lot of offscreen (invisible) triangles, which results in a lot of what I would call “meaningless computationâ€￾. So, I’m not sure exactly what capability is being measured in the test. It’s not visible. Often, benchmarks test Software or Hardware code paths that are not general and are not commonly used. We at NVIDIA don’t make it a practice to optimize our pipeline for specific benchmarks - we want to provide high quality and high performance on a wide variety of useful and entertaining applications, rather than just getting a good score. Ask yourself (or, better yet, ask ATI) why Radeon 8500 performs well on this one test, and poorly on many other 3DMark2001 tests.

There what is?

David had a legitimate point when it came to R200 and anisotropic filtering - it simply does not do it.

All nVidia products do proper anisotropic filtering in addition to offering partial anisotropic filtering as an option. With R200 you don't get an option - you get fake anisotropic filtering whether you want it or not, and the situation is still not fully resolved in R3xx.

With regard to the second quote, David is politely accusing ATi of cheating. Can someone date the quote? I'll bet my bottom dollar that if you go back to that point in time and scrutinize the detonators available you will find no similar cheat (not saying nVidia didn't cheat afterwards, but, who didn't where 3dmark01 is concerned?).

RussSchultz said:
I'm rubber; you're glue. What bounces of me sticks to you.

This is getting pretty funny, Russ...;) Here's one for you & Kyle:

"Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

Especially poignant for overly sensitive webmasters who have mastered the art of giving but not receiving...;)

Would you be proud enough of how you interact with people over the internet to show your parents or children? "That's right, little Sally, this is how you flame people. Can you say 'ad hominem'? I knew you could."

And all this time I thought these forums were the province of adults. *chuckle* OTOH, neither would I want my Sally thinking, "Gee, what a wuss my Dad is..."

I'm not sticking up for Kyle. I'd just rather Beyond3d not have a forum that tolerates antagonizing anybody, regardless of what they've got to say.

That's the thing about the principle of free speech, Russ. One man's "antagonism" is another man's "straight talk." With the exceptions of gross profanity, vulgarity, or threats, moderators are generally of a higher quality when they let the speech flow as it will. This encourages debate and the formation of ideas which I think is the highest & noblest ambition a forum can aspire to. Indeed, from the accounts I've read about what happens to dissenters in the [H] forums, Kyle could take a lesson from the B3d forums about that very thing.

WaltC said:
Here's one for you & Kyle:
I see. I mention that the environment here is antagonistic toward Kyle and that's why he doesn't visit, and immediately I'm a Kyle lover.

Being against something you do doesn't mean I'm "for" the person you're doing it again.

Don't begin to presume where to lump me in, other than for a forum that is free from "gang bangs" and antagonism. I don't have to be rude or abusive toward anybody to express my difference of opinion.

"Gee, what a wuss my Dad is..."

Wow. That certainly encourages debate and the formation of ideas. It is a statement of the hightest and noblest ambition.

Gah. Look at how you also immediately descend into ad-hominem attacks. Do you act like this in face to face encounters, or does the anonymity of the internet provide some security blanket that lets you act like a spoiled child without fear of being beaten up? Honestly, would you be proud if your grand parents, parents or children saw how you interacted with people?

Hanners said:
EDIT: Speaking of which, here's a classic David Kirk quote from the past. Enjoy!!

The lit triangles test in 3Dmark2001 renders a lot of offscreen (invisible) triangles, which results in a lot of what I would call “meaningless computationâ€￾. So, I’m not sure exactly what capability is being measured in the test. It’s not visible. Often, benchmarks test Software or Hardware code paths that are not general and are not commonly used. We at NVIDIA don’t make it a practice to optimize our pipeline for specific benchmarks - we want to provide high quality and high performance on a wide variety of useful and entertaining applications, rather than just getting a good score. Ask yourself (or, better yet, ask ATI) why Radeon 8500 performs well on this one test, and poorly on many other 3DMark2001 tests.

Good quote, Hanners! Heh-Heh...This could be placed in the Hall of Fame of "Things I Wish We'd Never Said," at nVidia....along with their comments on how "gamers don't want FSAA, they want high-resolution gaming," and "You'll never see an external power bus connector on any of our products!" and lots, lots more.... :D

Your quote is a prime example of how nVidia doesn't make statements or answer questions--it only spins. It's just too sad that people don't know the difference between something that's spun and a fact [radar]....;) It's simply remarkable that anyone would seek to justify nVidia's behavior with respect to FutureMark & 3DMk03 by way of ATi's conduct--which isn't remotely similar. And, what on earth does "Quak" have to do with 3DMk03...?

RussSchultz said:
I see. I mention that the environment here is antagonistic toward Kyle and that's why he doesn't visit, and immediately I'm a Kyle lover.

Russ, what you did was to mention that in your opinion the atmosphere is antagonistic toward Kyle and in your opinion that's why Kyle doesn't post. I've seen no post by Kyle to the effect of: "Gee, guys, I can't post here because some of you have hurt my feelings." That is entirely a supposition on your part and one with which I disagree, as I've stated. I do not think hurt feelings have anything to do with it.

Being against something you do doesn't mean I'm "for" the person you're doing it again.

Don't begin to presume where to lump me in, other than for a forum that is free from "gang bangs" and antagonism. I don't have to be rude or abusive toward anybody to express my difference of opinion.

But Russ when you represent that you know why Kyle isn't posting, aren't you already lumping yourself in? I do believe it was not your intent to make such a declarative statement, though, and what you actually meant to do was to theorize that in your opinion it is because of posts that in your opinion are "rude" that Kyle doesn't post. That's a perfectly valid opinion to hold--but it is an opinion nonetheless as opposed to a fact that can be objectively demonstrated. There are other equally valid opinions that can be held which are of an entirely different character than your own.

Wow. That certainly encourages debate and the formation of ideas. It is a statement of the hightest and noblest ambition.

Really? It wasn't meant to be anything other than the possible sentiments of the child "Sally" that you hypothesized.

Gah. Look at how you also immediately descend into ad-hominem attacks. Do you act like this in face to face encounters, or does the anonymity of the internet provide some security blanket that lets you act like a spoiled child without fear of being beaten up? Honestly, would you be proud if your grand parents, parents or children saw how you interacted with people?

You know, knee-jerk responses which include the phrase "ad-hominem" as though it applies are really tiresome. Simply saying something is an "ad-hominem attack" does not mean that is what it is.

What I can't figure about your comments here, Russ, is why you seem completely oblivious to the fact that Kyle himself is often antagonistic toward others, and that this behavior naturally generates a return of that antagonism at times. If I throw a stone at someone should I be surprised if others throw stones at me? I don't think so--and neither should my feelings be hurt. That's the point I've tried to get across in the last couple of posts I've made on this topic as you originally raised it.

radar1200gs said:
All nVidia products do proper anisotropic filtering in addition to offering partial anisotropic filtering
Yeah that's why Nv touted their own adaptive anisotropic filtrering for their FX5800 launch as being better and faster than the competition. And according to you, adaptive anisotropic filtrering isn't real AF. So what does the FX series do then?
Are you going to do as you did on anandtech and say that the 3dmark03 thing isn't a cheat and it's a conspiracy between MS and FM and ATI :D
Detonators been cheating a long time. Check the old Radeon vs GF2GTS review at hardocp. Where nvidia lowers detail for higher performance. But then again, that can't be true. Must be a conspiracy between ID and [H] :rolleyes: :LOL:

Back