NPD December 2006

So i guess we know how many PS3 Sony shipped then :)

You need to do the normal NPD adjustments and remember it is only NA and realize it is only trending. But considering the NPD tracks the same channels, it is relevant trending you can roughly compare and contrast with.

While I am Person #2, I think I was in the minority...

Then you need to tell me where you hang out, and we need to switch locations. ;)

... but I think it puts into perspective how DOMINATE the PS2 was...

You cannot tell me that you're falling into that 'Internet-speak' grammar mistake Acert; I hold you to a higher standard!

d o m i n a n t :p

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot tell me that you're falling into that 'Internet-speak' grammar mistake Acert; I hold you to a higher standard!

d o m i n a n t :p

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo................

Sometimes, since I don't proof read, I do have quite a few spelling mistakes, typos, and quite often stupid grammar issues. e.g. I leave -ing off a lot of times when I type... part of it is being lazy, the other part is because I type ~120 wpm so I get going and don't even realize it. Even worse I have found when I proofread I will add the proper grammatical inflections in my head and not realize that I goofed. I think I was going to say something else and changed it mid-thought. Pffft I cannot even believe I capitolized that... how I hate thee loosing and your club of crappy internet speak. how i h8t u!!

Btw, I am soooo ashamed to say a stupid grammar error slipped into my resume. I don't know how many times I proofread the stupid thing... and have done a number of revisions this last year as I look for new work and always reread the entire document and never spotted it. The other day I was printing out a copy and saw this HORRIBLE little grammar error, checked my old revisions, and I about died when I realized it had been there for a year. No wonder I wasn't getting many phone calls!!

NPD was cut Dec 28th. Big PS3-shipments hit just at new years eve.

Adding that and Canada to NPD-figure.. 1M isn't too far off now.

MS could pass the 2 million mark during dec 2007.

How they can do it?

"Core + Halo3 @ 199 dollars"

:devilish:

Halo 3 doesn´t need a harddrive?

Actually that is a very interesting question. As may or may not be generally known, Halo 2 was one of the very few Xbox games that actually used the HDD to make the game better. On the 360 however, we have to assume that the game is going to have to be Core compatible, and therefore run without a harddisk. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of impact that has, if any.

Actually that is a very interesting question. As may or may not be generally known, Halo 2 was one of the very few Xbox games that actually used the HDD to make the game better. On the 360 however, we have to assume that the game is going to have to be Core compatible, and therefore run without a harddisk. It's going to be interesting to see what kind of impact that has, if any.

Indeed it is. Halo also used caching to reduce loading, just not to the same extent as 2. But, supposedly there were other far less linear games that didn't even need an HDD to significantly reduce noticeable loading.

Lots of balancing to go on in the next generation (360 likely more than the other two systems) , between RAM size, content size (how much redundancy you can introduce to reduce seeks), and disc reading speed/HDD caching (the former of which has not increased at the same rate as RAM size).

Hopefully streaming doesn't mean Halo 3 level design becomes less linear than they would have wanted it, and at the same time content hasn't been reduced in quality (insert low blow here) in order to increase redundancy--because I'm fairly certain Bungie will do everything they can to remove loading screens on even the Core, at least during each "level" (if that word still applies).

Sometimes, since I don't proof read, I do have quite a few spelling mistakes, typos, and quite often stupid grammar issues. e.g. I leave -ing off a lot of times when I type... part of it is being lazy, the other part is because I type ~120 wpm
At least that's some sort of excuse. I can't even claim that! Some days everything comes out totally dyslexic for who-knows-what-reason without a superfast typing speed. As long as it's readable, I don't think perfect spelling and grammar is too needed (;)), as long as it's not a total blunder. This is why 'I can care less' is far more evil than 'the dominate format' - one is clearly a wrong spelling with the right intended meaning, while the other is linguistic nonsense in its use!

blah, ba-blah, ba-blah, I gave up hope on your spelling a long time ago. :p The instant I saw dominate, however, I could almost feel xbd's eyes roll to the back of his head.

LOL, it was a shock alright. :)

And NucNav, good to see you around!

@Acert: I know how you feel, I've had spelling errors show up at the most embarrasing of times in my professional life. What can ya do? But 'dominate player' was just too funny coming from Big A. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed it is. Halo also used caching to reduce loading, just not to the same extent as 2. But, supposedly there were other far less linear games that didn't even need an HDD to significantly reduce noticeable loading.

Lots of balancing to go on in the next generation (360 likely more than the other two systems) , between RAM size, content size (how much redundancy you can introduce to reduce seeks), and disc reading speed/HDD caching (the former of which has not increased at the same rate as RAM size).

Hopefully streaming doesn't mean Halo 3 level design becomes less linear than they would have wanted it, and at the same time content hasn't been reduced in quality (insert low blow here) in order to increase redundancy--because I'm fairly certain Bungie will do everything they can to remove loading screens on even the Core, at least during each "level" (if that word still applies).

Do you really think, that by not having a HDD standard, that is going to impact the level design of Halo 3??

Heh.

@Acert: I know how you feel, I've had spelling errors show up at the most embarrasing of times in my professional life. What can ya do? But 'dominate player' was just too funny coming from Big A. :)

Ur b8ses r belong 2 us? :???:

/me hangs my head in shame... I cannot even do the stupid lingo right :LOL:

followon post from my image of last months NPD sales heres decembers data included.
still looks like xb360 will be leading in a years time (though still a few months to early, due to supply issues of the wii+ps3 to see if this will eventuate )
NPDdec.png

like others i was surprised by the lack of wii sales, after all nintendo had said they had shipped 2 million to the US in 2006, didnt they. jan is gonna be interesting WRT to ps3 + wii. i believe the wii has a chance of bettering 1 million, if they can ship that number (the first time ever for a console outside nov/dec)

Reactions: one
followon post from my image of last months NPD sales heres decembers data included.
still looks like xb360 will be leading in a years time (though still a few months to early, due to supply issues of the wii+ps3 to see if this will eventuate )
NPDdec.png

like others i was surprised by the lack of wii sales, after all nintendo had said they had shipped 2 million to the US in 2006, didnt they. jan is gonna be interesting WRT to ps3 + wii. i believe the wii has a chance of bettering 1 million, if they can ship that number (the first time ever for a console outside nov/dec)

:neutral:

I doubt Wii has the ability to move 600,000 consoles a month even during the slow period in the middle of the year.

Xbox 360's future sales rate is based on the 10 non holiday season months of 2006. However, the Wii and PS3's future sales rate is based soley on the months of nov and dec. Furthermore, the supply is limited for the Wii and PS3, so this data is no way indicative of demand, which any extrapolation of future sales should be based.

I doubt Wii has the ability to move 600,000 consoles a month even during the slow period in the middle of the year.

Xbox 360's future sales rate is based on the 10 non holiday season months of 2006. However, the Wii and PS3's future sales rate is based soley on the months of nov and dec. Furthermore, the supply is limited for the Wii and PS3, so this data is no way indicative of demand, which any extrapolation of future sales should be based.

In other words...not worth the pixels it's being displayed on :p

huh, u have misread the graph!
xb360 is based on nov2005->dec2006 ie 14months not just 10 (if u see the graph from last month the xbox figure was extrapolated to about 7million, now its just over 8 million but will drop down a bit with the drop in sales next month.
true wii + ps3 data is not too relevant at this time (like i mentioned but hey u gotta start somewhere)
though not cause of what u mentioned it being nov + dec but because its just launched

Interestingly, when you look at historical us sales data in the US: (http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=11067) the ps2 saw their sales jump to about 500k/mo after their pricedrop to $200 in the spring of 2002. This sales rate continued for most of it's life with a regular dip in April and varying through October with seasonal sales typically doubling from November to December. The intriguing part is Xbox 360 has sold fairly close to the original xbox on a month to month basis while having the market to itself but at a much higher pricepoint ($200 vs $300-400).

The next four months of sales data will be telling for all three platforms and should give us a very good idea how this generation will end up if historical data is anything to go by. Of course there are many variables in this generation that did not exist in the ps2 generation but like we have said in the past, "trends" :)

Assuming the Wii sells almost as well as ps2 did after the $200 price-cut and ps3 sells somewhere between that and the 360 sales of last year we end up with:

xbox360
2007 4.5 current
2008 8.5
2009 12.5
2010 16.5

4m/yr (250k/mo 500nov 1000dec)

wii
2007 1.1 current
2008 7.5
2009 13.9
2010 20.3

6.4m/yr (400k/mo 800nov 1600dec)

ps3
2007 .7 current
2008 5.5
2009 10.3
2010 15.1

4.8m/yr (300k/mo 600nov 1200dec)

This assumes a few things:
1) flat sales across the board (unlikely given...)
2) no price drop sales spikes
3) no key franchise sales spikes
4) no market sway (bigger install base > bigger games selection > bigger install base > bigger games selection and so on)

I think it's likely price drops will have an affect. How little or much is unknown but general consensus is it will help sales but this is dificult to measure given the sales in the month prior are likely to be down before which would cause a pricedrop in the first place so taking that into consideration I think these numbers give us *some* idea of what to expect within range and reason. We know none of these consoles will match the sales dominance of ps2 so that is a reasonable ceiling for sales performance and we have sales history of xbox360 for one year to base a future guidline on for that platform and we have some idea for demand with ps3 lately. Wii has been selling out as as soon as it hits the shelf so we don't really know the true ceiling on it but it is likely to be less than ps2 given the incredible sales of that platform.

Ps3 sales for the next few months will be telling as the demand seems to be tapering off but this may be premature. When the system is WIDELY available at all local outlets in mass quantity (not just a handful here or there) and NPD sales numbers become available the following month will be time to get a clear prediction on future trending of the platform in the US.

Worldwide could tell a very different story but trying to nail down accurate numbers in EU is near impossible. Japan is much easier to track and seems to be heavily favoring Wii at the moment but again this could be misleading based more on system availability than demand.

Back