NPD December 2006

If true, this would mean that in November and December in the USA, the Wii sold just over 1 million consoles and the PS3 sold just under 700,000 consoles. That would leave roughly 800k Wii's sold in Canada and the rest of the Americas, and roughly 200k PS3s sold elsewhere as well. If vgcharts is correct that is.

Does anyone like NPD track global sales and the different regions?

Uhh where on GAF does it say these numbers are incorrect?

EDIT: it appears GAF has now confirmed what I posted. Updating my first post with the software numbers.

Yep, they were correct. My bad, but GAF was claiming they were fake. Probably wishful thinking..

So my previous commentary stands. Wii Bomba.

I kinda thought the Wii #'s were right, after I read a comment about how scarce they were, I got to thinking about the truth of that.

Analysts will be very surprised at Wii. PSP banner month also. Sony wins. 360 to expectations, slightly under again..

If true, this would mean that in November and December, the Wii sold just over 1 million consoles and the PS3 sold just under 700,000 consoles in the USA. That would leave roughly 800k Wii's sold in Canada and the rest of the Americas, and roughly 200k PS3s sold elsewhere as well. If vgcharts is correct that is.

VG charts was pulling numbers out of his rear based on the conventional wisdom that Nintendo must have sold +1m Wii's in Dec. He will have to do major refiguring now..

"The rest of the Americas" is just Canada. Sales are near zero in Mexico, and Canada is perhaps 10% of Americas sales (if that).

Japan is tracked very well on a weekly basis through media-create and famitsu. Europe is the hardest territory to figure.

Historically, December sales are approximately double that of November sales. PS2, X360, and PSP all fit this pattern. DS is underperforming. Wii and PS3 don't count. If there's a recount, I can't say there will be big changes. This is probably pretty close to the real numbers except for maybe the DS sales.

DS underperformed with 1.5 million sold in the USA in December? :oops:

If true, this would mean that in November and December, the Wii sold just over 1 million consoles and the PS3 sold just under 700,000 consoles in the USA. That would leave roughly 800k Wii's sold in Canada and the rest of the Americas, and roughly 200k PS3s sold elsewhere as well. If vgcharts is correct that is.

I highly doubt that Canada and the rest of Americas could come close to 80% of US sales.

NPD-LTDs.jpg

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14940

Detailed breakout, software sales, etc. in article form with "commentary".

It was interesting to see accessory sales. MS made a killing selling over 800,000 wireless controllers in December for example. Overall very high accesory sales for all platforms.

PSP has got serious momentum after these numbers, and they haven't even done a proper price drop yet..

Well, I expected higher, but it is what it is... so long as the numbers for both Wii and PS3 seem to 'scale' properly, I'm ok with the whatever those numbers are. I do think they're low though, so it will be interesting to see what plays out across forums after Sony reconfirms the million+ shipped number at their quarter-end conference.

Two questions (if they can be readily answered):

1) What did NPD report for 360 in November/December of 'o5?

2) Any word on the HD DVD add-on sales?

It's pretty interesting that the way it looks like, Zelda's going to outsell FFXII in the US. It's almost at the same level in the yearly sales, and as long as there's no other hardcore title for the Wii, it will probably continue at a very high attach rate.

Is Zelda having a high sales rate a surprise?

PS - Hardknock and Rangers, thanks for the chart and link respectively.

@Laa-Yosh below: thanks for the 360 figures.

NPD X360 sales:

Nov05 326,000
Dec05 281,441
Jan06 249,000
Feb06 161,000
Mar06 192,000
Apr06 295,381
May06 221,000
Jun06 277,000
Jul06 206,000
Aug06 204,000
Sep06 259,458
Oct06 218,000
Nov06 511,300
Dec06 1,131,886
Total - 4,533,466

Rushing out Gears in october might have made a big difference, although it's hard to tell if the lack of an extra month of polish would've ruined its success. At least to me, it seems to be a major catalyst of X360 sales.
But Halo3 clearly has to be out before november.

Oh jeez....PS2 still sells 1.4 million?
360 had nice month, but little lower than expected..biggest shocker is probably Wii, with only 600k showing here...I though it was twice of that.

GCN LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - NINTENDO 532.9 K
WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS - NINTENDO 519.2 K

This was very surprising to me. Thought the Wii version would outsell the GC version.

What I'm shocked by are the amount of available PS3s. Sony says they shipped 1 Million consoles and they sold just under 700k? I dunno, that just doesn't sound right.

Has Nintendo announced how many Wii's they shipped?

Half million copies on the GC? To me, it is...

Well, that's what system mine's getting played on. ;)

What I'm shocked by are the amount of available PS3s. Sony says they shipped 1 Million consoles and they sold just under 700k? I dunno, that just doesn't sound right.

Well, consider that it doesn't include non-US sales, and that 'shipped' can mean still in transit relative to what's on the store shelves. That said, if you need a PS3, you can find one; but nor do I think it's sales/demand are bad as construed in the media.

March onwards will give a better sense of the tempo going forward.

NPD probably underreports US sales, and then there's Canada which should be about 10% of the US sales. Although I haven't got a clue if PS3 is available there at all.

You can also play with the thought that from those 1 million PS3s, some have yet to arrive into stores, not to mention customers' homes... you now, a little magic with the numbers.

I don't think in the end that 1.3 million is a bad number for FFXII in the US. Plus, I still have to get mine. ;)

Back