Nokia's Present & Future

Even in those situations, a good DSLR will need tripods or use high ISO which will induce noise.

Or people who take pictures of starry skies go through long processes to cleanly capture and then do things like exposure blending.

A phone camera may produce usable pictures in those instances but really, only marginally better than other phones.

Your missing the point, who wants to carry round a dslr and tripod on a night out??

It's all about light gathering - larger lens = larger entendu = good photo in less time. Yes, even a smaller lens can take a decent low-light still on a tripod, but what I'm talking about is the kind of low-light you can get from something with larger lens. Realistically I think it's impossible to get what I'm talking about unless you do some sort of mathematical manipulation using a large lens. The reason is that a lens that large will need substantial camera depth to focus the scene on the sensor array. But let's say you use the large lens and shallow body but use the focusing tricks we've seen in that new "focus after the fact" camera (can't remember the name). That might work. So you'd have something the side of a Lumia but with a 1" lens :) of course you might get all sorts of chromatic aberration...

Undoubtedly a big step ahead of other phones (but for the 808, of course) and it will probably be able to provide better images than all but the most expensive point and shoot cameras, but I can't see how it will be able to compete with DSLRs or Micro 4/3s cameras in anything but the best light. The sensor on the 1020 is still, what, a quarter of the size of the Micro 4/3 sensor?
Quarter size, but 40% better sensitivity due to BSI (the RX100 II actually got almost 1 stop higher sensitivity from BSI, according to most reviews), and f/2.2 lets in 2.5x the light of f/3.5, so you have to use double the ISO for a given shutter speed. I specified the kit lens for a reason :)

I gave a link to a page that compares the 808 with other cameras. You can compare various four-thirds cameras with it, and at twice the ISO, image quality is roughly equal, IMO. There is some corner fuzziness in the 808, probably due to depth of field from lack of aperture control, but that shouldn't be a problem in most real world scenarios.
I don't think Nokia would ever claim this could be a suitable replacement for a DSLR/M43 camera.
It won't be, as it doesn't have optical zoom or interchangeable lenses. It also won't be as good as the original RX100, let alone the refresh.

But I just put that comparison (kit lens at widest zoom) out there for the heck of it, since that's what you get out of the box with a M43 camera. Buy a fixed lens to make it apples to apples, and M43 takes a big leap.

Market research firm IDC recently carried out a survey of smartphone owners in 25 countries to identify what factors were most likely to drive future purchases.

The results placed camera resolution 15th on a list of 23 features. Audio quality for voice, battery life, device security and browsing came top of the poll.
When smartphone cameras all have marginal differences between them, you don't care. If you were buying a notebook, 2GHz vs 2.3GHz vs. 2.5GHz doesn't matter as much as build, display, battery, etc. If you were offered 10 GHz with little reduction in battery life, it may start mattering more.

This camera is a huge leap. It lets you do stuff you couldn't do before, like have a usable zoom.

It's all about light gathering - larger lens = larger entendu = good photo in less time. Yes, even a smaller lens can take a decent low-light still on a tripod, but what I'm talking about is the kind of low-light you can get from something with larger lens.
It's not the superficial lens size that matters, but rather the entrance pupil. You get that by dividing the actual focal length (not 35mm equiv) by the f-number. It's surprisingly small at wide angle even for large sensor cameras, as my numbers showed in the earlier post, despite some lenses being quite large.

So even though the Lumia 1020 outer lens looks quite small, it actually collects almost as much light as something like this at wide angle:
1624-3131-large.jpg

Of course, when you zoom there's no comparison, but the point is that there is a limit to how big you can make an entrance pupil for a given focal length, even with a lot more space than a smartphone.

Early test vs Canon EOS 60D DSLR ( software is still not complete yet on Nokia side, so no review or other are really permitted yet )

http://blog.gsmarena.com/nokia-lumi...inst-a-canon-60d-dslr-nokia-comes-out-on-top/

As for some comment on how it will help nokia, or even if it have one use, i can allready say that if the result is as good as it seems ( in addition the Nokia camera software developped is just the best you can find on a smartphone ), at least on a marketing point of view, if on all smartphone review, you get this Lumia pointed as reference, peoples interested by photo will indeniably look at this smartphone differently.

The photos are taken from same distance of the target, different cameras will give you different area on the screen.

right but image space comparisons require the same target area to be photographed. One is digitizing x square inches with so many pixels and the other is digitizing a larger area. Not a reasonable comparison at all.

So another quarter and Nokia loses $150 million. I think it's interesting that BlackBerry loses $84 million in a quarter and people are saying it's "lights out" for them...but Nokia loses nearly twice that and the industry pundits are heralding the return of Nokia. Granted the new Lumia looks great and they sold more Lumias than BB sold BB10 phones, but if you take the phone volume and corresponding losses at Nokia, any growth technically means more losses unless they stabilize then increase their GM%.

So another quarter and Nokia loses $150 million. I think it's interesting that BlackBerry loses $84 million in a quarter and people are saying it's "lights out" for them...but Nokia loses nearly twice that and the industry pundits are heralding the return of Nokia. Granted the new Lumia looks great and they sold more Lumias than BB sold BB10 phones, but if you take the phone volume and corresponding losses at Nokia, any growth technically means more losses unless they stabilize then increase their GM%.

Agreed, isnt some of that due of symbians slow decline? Lumia sales are up, nokia siemans is the only sector making a slight profit...thankfully nokia moved quick to buy them out and grab a bargain.
http://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_q2_report_more_lumias_sold_less_money_made-news-6408.php

So another quarter and Nokia loses $150 million. I think it's interesting that BlackBerry loses $84 million in a quarter and people are saying it's "lights out" for them...but Nokia loses nearly twice that and the industry pundits are heralding the return of Nokia.
Well don't forget that Nokia made $585M in Q4 2012.

I think it's because of the direction business is taking and the way ecosystem is being played. BlackBerry is alone in diminishing market of blackberry phones.

Nokia is in bed with Microsoft who very much wants to get foothold on mobile market. Lumia sales seem to be picking up which might signal that there is light at the end of tunnel for Nokia. Nokia seems to be getting damage from feature phones not selling as good as they used to.

NSN or soon Nokia Networks seems to be pretty strong. Nokia should have solid foundation not dependent on single product or market segment(maps, smartphones, feature phones, networks) but Nokia might still need to scale down if feature phone market shrinks and the smartphone market share doesn't grow fast enough to compensate.

Back