Nokia's Present & Future

So another quarter and Nokia loses $150 million. I think it's interesting that BlackBerry loses $84 million in a quarter and people are saying it's "lights out" for them...but Nokia loses nearly twice that and the industry pundits are heralding the return of Nokia. Granted the new Lumia looks great and they sold more Lumias than BB sold BB10 phones, but if you take the phone volume and corresponding losses at Nokia, any growth technically means more losses unless they stabilize then increase their GM%.

A lot of that is due to the fact that Nokia WP phones are continuing to gain marketshare around the world. It isn't enough to completely counteract their loss of share due to Symbian, however, which is one of the reasons they are still showing a net loss at times. I'm sure the investors are far less concerned with the losses incurred by dwindling Symbian market share than they are about a potential upswing in WP growth. I'm sure the reduction in operating losses (from 824 Euros to 115 Euros) was a positive sign to investors as well.

Meanwhile, BB's phones have been underperforming. They had a decent launch, but sales have slowed quite a bit since then. As well, their newly announced phone has many investors scratching their heads wondering what BB is thinking (http://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittinen/2013/07/15/the-madness-of-blackberry-q5-pricing/ ).

It doesn't hurt Nokia that its Lumia line alone sold more than all Blackberry devices combined *(7.4 million versus 6.8 million) which has helped pushed WP solidly into the 3rd phone ecosystem position worldwide. (http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspe...blackberry-reveal-the-third-ecosystem-winner/ )

There's just currently more upside in Nokia compared to Blackberry from an investor point of view.

Regards,
SB

So what I'd like is a Q10-like phone with a BB10-styled OS (gestures etc.) the new Nokia camera and a bit better app selection than BB10. Maybe WP9 can add true gestures and a good hardware keyboard to that camera ;)

Watching webOS and Maemo/MeeGo die and now possibly BB10 is like living through NextSTEP again...sigh. But then again innovation rarely wins the short game.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

So what I'd like is a Q10-like phone with a BB10-styled OS (gestures etc.) the new Nokia camera and a bit better app selection than BB10. Maybe WP9 can add true gestures and a good hardware keyboard to that camera ;)

Watching webOS and Maemo/MeeGo die and now possibly BB10 is like living through NextSTEP again...sigh. But then again innovation rarely wins the short game.

It's one of the things I've had to come to terms with over the years. Sometimes, the most technically interesting and capable solutions aren't the ones that end up gaining mass consumer adoption.

Regards,
SB

To make things better, Tizen (based on MeeGo) is stillborn baby apparently, by the looks of it Samsung will release one device with it and call it a day.

Jolla will IIRC have gestures, and support Android apps.
No Nokia camera though, nor qwerty

Jolla will IIRC have gestures, and support Android apps.
No Nokia camera though, nor qwerty

Jolla..its basically a meego type device wih a new UI isnt it? Looks decent bit needs some work....the ability to run android apps is a very nice touch indeed.
Jolla vs tizen is going to be an interesting alternative OS battle.

Of course my Q10 fits a good bit of that bill (runs most Android apps, great hmi, gestures, etc) and Jolla I'm sure will have its own neato factors (I had an N9), but just once I'd like to see a giant in the market adopt the innovations now, not in ten years.

For now I'll put the blinders on an enjoy the Q10 - haven't even powered up my Nexus 4 since popping my SIM in the Q10...but that Lumia camera is pretty drool worthy.

Jolla..its basically a meego type device wih a new UI isnt it? Looks decent bit needs some work....the ability to run android apps is a very nice touch indeed.
Jolla vs tizen is going to be an interesting alternative OS battle.

No it's not, since Tizen is dead already, apparently Samsung will only release one Tizen product and that's it.

A week old, but I'll post it anyway:

Elop explains: why Nokia didn't choose Android to replace Symbian
The chief executive of Nokia says that business analysis back in 2010 pointed to the scenario that has played out in the Android business - and he's pleased with his choice

Makes plenty of sense to me, particularly when you add in the money that MS threw at Nokia for this partnership. Most of the points are similar to what I mentioned before, but there one which I hadn't considered before:
"Strategically that's important for us [to be offering an alternative OS] because having a conversation with [chief executive] Ralph de la Vega at AT&T, the first step in the conversation is the recognition that we're not Apple, we're not Samsung/Android - used to be Android/Samsung, it's actually about Samsung now - we're a third alternative.

"And as an operator he wants to negotiate with different people and keep pressure on everybody and have the best range of options, he wants that third alternative.

That's not bad for Nokia actually. They were previously behind ZTE and someone else, that I can't recall (Lenovo?)in most market analysis. So at least according to the market research data that article used, at most there are still the same number (or possibly less) of Android handset makers ahead of Nokia as before.

If their WP line continues to grow, at some point they could potentially start moving up. One of the big reasons they aren't making any movement is that any growth in their WP line is still being offset by the losses in the Symbian, etc. lines.

It's interesting that despite all that, they still are ahead of HTC despite HTC making some of the best Android phones available.

And, IIRC, their Lumia handset growth is higher than LG's Android growth (LG gains some quarters and loses some quarters, IIRC).

Regards,
SB

Back