Nokia's Present & Future

Symbian would have died anyway, and honestly considering the mess Nokia OS development was, most likely MeeGo wouldn't have succeeded either.

Personally I would have liked nokia to have sticked with the meego/symbian route unifying through QT.

No matter what the thoughts were on that and whether you agreed with it or not...the fact is as of today symbian is dead and buried.. its a non entity, nokia for better or for worse are alligned to wp8.

So It does get frigging annoying when talking about current smartphone trends and windows phone market share that we still have the same peeps come on and try to spin every positive wp news into something negative about nokia..not only that but carry on flying the flag for the now deceased symbian.

Its gone guys..deal with it.

Elop's burning platform memo definitely affected Nokia sales (that and killing MeeGo and the N9 which was one of Nokia's fastest selling phones at release).

3574621_13498820012561_rId4_thumb.jpg
You can cherrypick BS data all you want (why the fuck should I trust Tomi Ahonen?), but it's abundantly clear from virtually every data source that Nokia had been declining well well before Elop's arrival:
Gartner+Smartphone+Market+Share.png

mobilemarketsharetarunjuneja.png

Even in Finland:
image40.png

That's why I gave the google image search link in my previous post.

nokia with symbian is disaster. Yes its an os with superb multitaskting ability but how can general people start to multitask if its so hard to get a software?

nokia really too late when they introduced marketplace app on symbian.

The data don't include a strategy to turn the ship based on levering existing platforms (with hundreds of millions of handsets sold)
That's just fantasy. If it was so easy to get devs working on this existing platform, then why didn't Nokia leverage it before Elop arrived?

As I said before, Nokia was part of the 0.6% marketshare that non-iOS apps had in 2009, including free ones. This existing target market you speak of proved that it had virtually no interest in installing apps, likely because they were mostly lower end phones.

That's just fantasy. If it was so easy to get devs working on this existing platform, then why didn't Nokia leverage it before Elop arrived?

As I said before, Nokia was part of the 0.6% marketshare that non-iOS apps had in 2009, including free ones. This existing target market you speak of proved that it had virtually no interest in installing apps, likely because they were mostly lower end phones.
Indeed I actually I wonder if even Microsoft can do something about it, it seems to me that both iOS and even more Android have reached the "critical mass", I'm not sure there is room for another actors in what should consolidate in another "duopole".

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed I actually I wonder if even Microsoft can do something about it, it seems to me that both iOS and even more Android have reached the "critical mass", I'm not sure there is room for another actors in what should consolidate in another "duapole".
Microsoft has laptops/tablets to help them reach critical mass (even though Win8 is a bit different from WP8). That's why they have a good chance. Every other OS - Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu mobile, even BB10 - faces a steep uphill battle.

Microsoft has laptops/tablets to help them reach critical mass (even though Win8 is a bit different from WP8). That's why they have a good chance. Every other OS - Tizen, Firefox OS, Ubuntu mobile, even BB10 - faces a steep uphill battle.
May feel is that the former faces an uphill battle and the others are nothing less but doomed at this point.

You can cherrypick BS data all you want (why the fuck should I trust Tomi Ahonen?), but it's abundantly clear from virtually every data source that Nokia had been declining well well before Elop's arrival

You can grow in units shipped while loosing market share. Also, when has Ahonen presented incorrect data?

lumia 1080 revealed and its expensive.
299 dollar on contract

i cant imagine what is the price when it hit my country very late this year or next year.

if it was the same price as lumia 920 launch price, i think a lot of mobile photographers will consider it.
edit
whitepaper
http://t.co/Jn4uxtS5i2

The 1020's camera seems to be really spectacular.

I would be willing to oversee the price, smaller screen with smaller resolution, slower SoC and 32GB of non-expandable storage over any Android flagship I've seen so far just for that camera module.
WP8 is still a deal breaker, though.

This 299$ price is caused by the contract who have been conduct by the US FAI.. this dont mean depending where you leave, the price will not be different depending the contract.

The 1020 is 649 or 699$ without contract. ( i have a doubt, it was maybe 649Euro and 699$ ).

Nokia have put some video online using the 1020 ( sadly only in 720p, so dont make it scale to your full screen )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUMNm9-dgJ0

Nokia chanel
http://www.youtube.com/user/nokia?feature=watch

They were doing $99 or even less deals for the 920 in the US. So unless there's huge demand for this, this Nokia will probably follow a similar price trajectory.

Low light can't be good with so much pixels packed into that sensor. More megapixels than the D800 in a much smaller sensor?

They were doing $99 or even less deals for the 920 in the US. So unless there's huge demand for this, this Nokia will probably follow a similar price trajectory.

Low light can't be good with so much pixels packed into that sensor. More megapixels than the D800 in a much smaller sensor?

Here it completely depend of the contractg you do.. 12 or 24 months and for the type of contract with the 4G you have in reality 4 contract who start at 75$ for 1Mbit/s and end at 169$ for 100Mbit/s .. and for each the price of the phone is decreasing

I stopped at a Swisscom store at ZRH earlier this year.

Price for the 920 there was crazy. Around 1000 Swiss Francs at the time for one of the options.

BTW, wasn't too impressed with the speed of Swisscom's 3G networks there, though I mostly spent time around Wengen so maybe it's better in the big cities.

So does their network really get to 100 Mbps?

The 1020 camera looks nice. At a reasonable price it would make a good vacation camera (is it water resistant at all?). I wonder if this means the unlocked 808 will come way down in price?

I'm surprised to see that the 1020 has a smaller sensor than the 808. I'd have thought Nokia would have kept the original sensor instead of developing a new one.

I expect they simply wouldn't have been able to fit the old sensor in a slim enough chassis for a modern smartphone.

It will be interesting to see if the improved software and BSI can make up for the smaller sensor size. I suppose a lot will depend on the quality of the optics they have been able to fit onto the 1020.

Nice device, anyway. Just a pity it uses Windows Phone!

The battery grip is a nice accessory which will be useful to many.

unfortunately the battery grip is 80 dollar. too expensive :/
btw i dislike the design they choose. Noia 808 with its recgangle camera bump looks much better

Pixel count doesn't matter for low light. Sensor size and f-stop do.

The sensor is 1/1.5" with BSI, and the lens is f/2.2. The 1020 camera will destroy any other smartphone, be much better than regular compact cameras except when zooming a lot, and will often have advantages over premium compacts at wide angle (except the RX100, which in turn is at another level vs all other compacts).

Most importantly, it only adds a few mm of thickness to what's in your pocket. It's pretty difficult to fit any better camera and a better smartphone in your pocket comfortably.

Only one thing stopping me from buying it: 4.5" and no stylus. I hope Nokia puts out an entry for us mega-device lovers. Put that camera on my Note 2 and I'll pay $800 for it.

Nokia finally managed to do something cool with their Lumia line! It just took them 1 year to port the SW/HW from Symbian to WP8, that shows how easy it is to put new features on the WP8 platform!

From what I can see nokia put alot of effort into this device, alot of custom parts and software, there is no dedicated ISP for the gigantor pureview sensor. ..it uses snapdragon msm 8960 ISP, except nokia has worked with qualcomm to customise/adapt msm 8960 as I can only usually take 20mp photos...brian klugg off of anandtech has a good breakdown (along with gsmarena) and speculates snapdragons hexagon dsp is being used to offset the processing.

This isnt like they shoe horned the 808 camera onto a lumia 920....they have taken the impressive step of redesigning the whole solution, making it thinner and lighter, increasing low light perfomance via BSI (808 was FSI) wider apature f2.2 and redesigning the already class leading 920 OIS to version 2.0...
Other improvements include better focal length over 808 (15cm for better macros) and also a class leading 6 stage carl zeiss lens.

All of this in a year or so is very very impressive.

Gsmarena state it blows all other smartphones out of the water on both stills AND video...only small complaint they make is of over saturated colours compared to the errilly natual 808 pureview.

2 gb of ram is a first for wp. ..the display is also pretty good when compared to the iphone 5...gorilla glass 3 -2.5d, very high brightness for an amoled, pure motion plus tech and nokias clear black make it a pretty decent screen if not quite android beating.
Build quality and ergonomics look out standing if not class leading htc one matching. ..loudspeaker should be very good and stero recording should also be class leading with nokia introducing some bass lowering tech for recording concerts and loud music.

The added tripod mount with intergrated battery is a nice touch.

Seriously thinking of getting this phone over a galaxy note 3...

Back