Nokia's Present & Future

IMO, the 920's size and weight aren't nearly as big a deal as the media makes them out to be. It's basically the same overall size as a Galaxy SIII , only twice as thick.

Regarding the camera, I don't think it's very good in an absolute sense. I don't have experience with cell phone cameras, so I don't know how it compares to other phones. Granted, I shoot with Nikon DSLRs so my image quality bar is unrealistically high.

IMO, the 920's size and weight aren't nearly as big a deal as the media makes them out to be. It's basically the same overall size as a Galaxy SIII , only twice as thick.
Only? ;)

It's already quite big and heavy in absolute terms. The thickness only adds to that feeling of bulkiness.

I like the looks of the 920 from an esthetics point of view, but I'd never carry it. (Admittedly,
I think even my iPhone 5 is already slightly too big to be 100% comfortable with 1 hand operation...)

I guess everyone's tolerance levels are different, but it surprises me when people react this way. The 920 isn't really out of proportion in any meaningful way relative to its competitors imo. It is definitely not too big or too heavy to carry.

I guess everyone's tolerance levels are different, but it surprises me when people react this way. The 920 isn't really out of proportion in any meaningful way relative to its competitors imo. It is definitely not too big or too heavy to carry.

So it would be like having 2x GS3s in my pocket!? The only saving grace of the GS3's hugeness is how thin and light it is. I'm not saying I would take a 920 for a good price, but it does sound bulky to me.

I wonder how many of those people complaining about the size have been using the classics like Nokia 1611, or if they joined the mobile world later on

nokia_1611-1.jpeg

I wonder how many of those people complaining about the size have been using the classics like Nokia 1611, or if they joined the mobile world later on

nokia_1611-1.jpeg

Yeah, and that means I want my car to be as big as a 1969 Chrysler New Yorker too...

My first cell phone (1997?) may have been around the size of a 1611. The rest were all quite a bit smaller.

imgNokia%2061101.jpg

This was my first own mobile phone, which I reckon might be the case for a lot of euros. Loved it. Always worked always got a connection (unlike the punks sporting the hipster miniature 8210, I might add).

I recall it had this cool spyphone bug in the firmware, where if you shorted 2 pins, you could then leave it somewhere, call it from remote and it would silently auto-answer, allowing you to listen in on wherever it was.

Regardless of fond memories though, none of Nokia's current phones make me want to own one.

Well, they are evidently still losing sales YoY, but the Windows Phone effort appears to finally be bearing some fruit. Nokia are at least profitable again. And finally some numbers. 4.4 million Lumia handsets in Q4 2012 (all of which are ~480+ USD unlocked I believe). Not bad considering there were shortages of some modesl (at least in the US).

It'll be interesting to see what happens when their low end Lumia 620 hits the market. At a 250 USD unlocked price, that should allow it to make some decent penetration into the low cost smartphone market.

I wonder if HTC is also having some luck with their WP8 efforts?

Regards,
SB

Well, they are evidently still losing sales YoY, but the Windows Phone effort appears to finally be bearing some fruit. Nokia are at least profitable again. And finally some numbers. 4.4 million Lumia handsets in Q4 2012 (all of which are ~480+ USD unlocked I believe). Not bad considering there were shortages of some modesl (at least in the US).

Those 4.4 million are for Lumia handsets, not WP8 Lumia handsets.
There were a lot of obsolete WP7.5 models (Lumia 610, 710, 800) being sold with big discounts, at least in my country. None of those models is being sold at $480 unlocked, or anywhere near those values.

I wouldn't throw the fireworks just yet.

Nokia may not ever release the official numbers for the disparity between the old WP7.5 models and the new WP8 ones. Like Sony is doing with the PSP and Vita, they may want to save themselves from being embarassed.

Less than half of Q4'12 net sales came from smartphones (1.2b€ from a total 2.5b€), and Nokia is counting the Asha line as smartphones for those calculations. I wonder if the new WP8 line ever amounted to more than a couple of hundred million €s in net sales.

SB, why would all the sales for Q4 be unlocked Lumias at 480?

They aren't obviously. But the price of an unlocked phone gives a much better idea of what the carrier's are actually selling the phone to you for, and hence what Nokia might be getting. The same goes for iPhones and Android phones. Only with an unlocked phone you are paying for the carrier margin up front, while on a carrier subsidized phone you are paying for their margin month by month.

If we use T-mobile as an example, a subsidized phone contract plan is ~20 USD more than for an unsubsidized phone contract plan. It may vary with other carriers. Over a typical 2 year contract that's 480 USD. Hence, why the subsidized phones are locked to a carrier so they can recoup their hardware investment and make at least some profit.

For example, noone really thought the Lumia 920 was being sold to AT&T for less than 200 USD, right? Or that the Lumia 900 was being sold to AT&T for less than 100 USD or even 0 USD.

If I'd said instead that most of the Lumia's were sold for 200 USD or less on contract, that wouldn't have given many people an idea of what Nokia might be getting.

Regards,
SB

Yo, so some mildly good news for nokia even if q1 2013 forecasts are negative...they have at least turned a small profit for once instead of using wads of finish currency as posh fire lighters.

I await more news of this rumoured skinny aluminium clad "catwalk" phone...although seeing as nokia loves to jam in nasa like lunar optics into thick shells I doubt that very much so.

Im also awaiting a wp8 proper pureview experience as the lumia 920 seemed to be great a some areas and average at others...perhaps qualcomms recently announced snapdragon 800 with ISP that can handle 52 M/P might help in this regard...although with microsoft and elop hating performing chipsets..and especially multi cores..that might be a long shot.

Well I for one am looking forward to mobile world congress...
This long awaited nokia wp8 pureview device is long awaited...looks like it may be incoming. ..called the eos?
http://thedroidguy.com/2013/02/nokia-teases-its-high-resolution-camera-on-facebook/

Apparently there are 3 main nokia lumia phones this year...laser, eos or lumia 1000? And catwalk...

Edit..also I see htc is copying nokia once again *sigh
http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_readying_new_sound_and_camera_experience_in_2013-news-5484.php

Ultrapixels....just another knock off of nokias pureview over sampling tech.

Nothing like oversampling, in fact.

If it really is like the sensors in the Sigma cameras, it will be interesting to see if it offers anything much over the traditional bayer sensors in current smartphones.

How is this news?
Nokia's had this WP market share for over a year..

The problem is WP own marketshare. Has it gone over 4%?
From what I see in the news, it looks like even Blackberry could surpass it during the next quarter or so.

I doubt it...920 has given the brand kudos....it mght take nokia to pull out their best effort to really give the platform legitimacy.

Once consumers see the platform is legit they will consider all ranges of the phones on wp.

Edit..also the nokia 620 is getting rave reviews as possibly THE best budget phone on ANY platform.

Xbox 720 and and platform saturation of windows 8 will spread the metro theme and make it socially acceptable and even desired. ..as people like uniformity. ..just my take :)

Back