Nokia's Present & Future

Well some more good news for the lumia 920&820...
Exclusive in ear Dolby surround sound technology, able to work with any new or old ear buds of any price or quality...

Like I said this is exclusive to Nokia only and alongside rich recording is a rather nice bit of competition to HTC 8x/s beats audio+Amp..

If only we hear of another certification of lumia 920 with stereo sound recording....nokia also bans carrier branding on the exterior of the phone which is ace.

Only the stereo recording, sRGB certification and a larger battery would make this the perfect handset IMO. :)
http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-details-dolby-headphone-technology-in-lumia-920-and-lumia-820/

Interesting read about how elop destroying Nokia...make of it what you will...
http://seekingalpha.com/article/916271-how-stephen-elop-destroyed-nokia

He's just re-writing Tomi Ahonen's profecies.
To be honest, I think they're right. Even though Tomi repeats himself way too much and he does seem to have a couple of consumer notions wrong (he seems to rely on paper specs too much for predicting a model's success, and without understanding them too well either), I think his overall idea is right and the numbers on marketshare and Nokia's losses seem to support his claims, month after month.

While it's hard for me to believe that what I hear around me is necessarily broadly representative, there seems to be a surprising amount of buzz around the 920. This is somewhat backed up by a poll (again, hardly scientific) on Wired that's been running for the last month:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/iphone5-spec-showdown/

I think it's a little early to count Nokia out. Whether or not the positive buzz around the tech sphere for the 920 translates in to sales remains to be seen. But it seems to be launching in to a much less hostile market than the 900 was.

I think it was a smart decision by Nokia to really put some serious quality in to the glass (both display and camera). If it really delivers, the idea of never feeling like I have to carry a point-and-shoot camera again is incredibly attractive.

OTOH, Ballmer wrote in his annual letter to shareholders that MS would be evolving towards selling own hardware. I don't know if he outright said they'd sell their own branded phone.

But that's how the letter is being interpreted, that MS wants to be more like Apple, more vertically-integrated. Of course, Apple's big cash-cow is the iPhone.

OTOH, Ballmer wrote in his annual letter to shareholders that MS would be evolving towards selling own hardware. I don't know if he outright said they'd sell their own branded phone.

But that's how the letter is being interpreted, that MS wants to be more like Apple, more vertically-integrated. Of course, Apple's big cash-cow is the iPhone.

Sounds like the surface phone is ready to go in the Spring .

I doubt it will matter , Google has the nexus line and it doesn't affect the sales of the galaxy line. Although htc and others can't sell many andriod phones. But i think thats cause the galaxy is dominate. So perhaps the lumia can become dominate in the windows section

I think they'll be more like Google, or at least how Google was with their first Nexus phone.

I feel like Surface was a response to how little effort was being put in to a lot of tablet designs in general from the Windows side. Whereas on the phone side, it's hard to look at stuff like the 920 and say, "Yeah but where's the device that doesn't compromise on every front?"

I suppose it remains to be seen, but it would seem weird to see an in-house made, MS-branded phone. Although perhaps that doesn't prevent them from offering something from another provider rebranded a la Google with Android. It's hard to say, but we'll know soon enough, I suppose.

I feel like Surface was a response to how little effort was being put in to a lot of tablet designs in general from the Windows side. Whereas on the phone side, it's hard to look at stuff like the 920 and say, "Yeah but where's the device that doesn't compromise on every front?"

I suppose it remains to be seen, but it would seem weird to see an in-house made, MS-branded phone. Although perhaps that doesn't prevent them from offering something from another provider rebranded a la Google with Android. It's hard to say, but we'll know soon enough, I suppose.

To me it seems like all the windows phones come close but don't quite nail it .

The 920 has a great camera , wireless charging and you can use gloves with the touch screen. But its fat , heavy and looks ugly.

The 8x is nice also but it has no external storage (like the 920) it's screen is to small , the camera isn't good. But its a smaller lighter phone. The front camera with its 2.1mp ultra wide angle lense sounds great too for skype

The ativ s is the closest to what i'd want . But it lacks the wireless charging and a good camera.

I'd love for ms to combine the best aspects of these phones into something great.

Anyway it doesn't matter , i'm on sprint and it looks like we aren't getting a single windows phone on the network. I can't pass up a $40 unlimted everything plan and jump ship though.

Well the tear downs will show exactly why it's thinner but its suppose to have a floating module for the OIS.

The induction plate for the charging also probably adds to the bulk.

iPhone 5 is unbelievably light and thin. They could have made it bigger and heavier.

not on a properly designed phone. The iphone 5's camera is quite close to the quality of the 920 and the phone is much thinner

We don't know that for sure...certainly what I have seen so far on the pre release "take with a pinch of salt" photos from both phones the lumia 920 looks significantly better..also the "sapphire" lens COVER on the iPhone 5 has added an odd quirk..some kind of blue artifact on certain settings/shots.

The camera module on the lumia... is over 7mm all on its own...certainly for that thickness 10+mm I would have expected a higher mega pixel count..and / or a larger battery of around 2500mha...but still you can't say the phone is under specced...I imagine it will have superb barttrylife also.

The look, build quality and attention to detail are second to none on the lumia 920...things like ceramic buttons and camera plate..curved gorilla glass and the copied pillowed unibody construction...will go down well with consumers im sure.

I don't get why manufacturers put the camera module behind the screen. Doesn't that just make it thicker? Why can't they put in the corner like the iphone.

I don't get why manufacturers put the camera module behind the screen. Doesn't that just make it thicker? Why can't they put in the corner like the iphone.

I think they main reason why it is in the middle might be because the floating lens OIS technology works best when the camera module is in the middle of the phone. That's just a guess. As for putting it in the corner, that won't work unless they make the phone bigger as the screen stretches all the way into that corner. They could go for a bump like on the RAZRs, but that just looks very fugly.

not on a properly designed phone. The iphone 5's camera is quite close to the quality of the 920 and the phone is much thinner
No it really isn't. Other than the Pureview 808, no smartphone comes close to the 920's camera quality, aside from maybe 16MP models on a sunny day. The OIS and f/2.0 lens put it in another class, especially for video. The iPhone 5 also has that purple haze problem from bright lights, even when they are just outside the field of view.

I don't know why you think it looks ugly, either. Maybe some colors are not what the older business oriented male is looking for, but that's not a big loss. If I wasn't so addicted to the stylus of the Note and AMOLED screens, I would get one.

At this moment, this is how I see it: If you want a swiss army knife of a smartphone, get the Note 2; if you want a small/light smartphone, get the iPhone 5; for everyone else, the Lumia 920 is the best phone out there. The only problem is that some people may be loyal to apps that don't have a WP port or substitute.

Back