Nokia's Present & Future

Looking on gsmarena, their hands-on first look at the 8X seems to indicate that it does have a microSD slot. I wonder if this is correct or not?

I personally don't have much use for a removable battery, I've never really seen the need for one, but I do agree on the lack of a microSD slot. You don't do a high end phone with only 16GB that lacks a microSD slot IMHO. I don't really mind the lack of a microSD slot if the phone had more build in flash storage, but 16GB is a little small for a current high end phone.

two batteries: listen to music / watch movies all the way to China...then swap out the battery and have juice for calls upon arrival.

Sammy Ativ S has:

1. larger screen
I am old with old eyes. Pentile doesn't bother me (in fact I like the vibrancy), but larger is nicer.

2. larger - presumably removable - battery.

3. better Skype camera.

4. microSD for my entire music library and a bunch of movies.

Sammy Ativ S has:

1. larger screen
I am old with old eyes. Pentile doesn't bother me (in fact I like the vibrancy), but larger is nicer.

2. larger - presumably removable - battery.

3. better Skype camera.

4. microSD for my entire music library and a bunch of movies.

The back plate on the ATIV S looks removable and I presume it is, but nowhere does it state that the battery actually is removable which is kind of odd. Another thing, the back plate on the ATIV S looks like brushed metal, but the phone features NFC and that's why I think it's just a plastic back plate.

I can't be arsed to dig up links...but the ativ s is a aluminum unibody..no micro sd slot or removable battery that I am aware of.

It is lighter than the dumbbell like lumia...the screen is marginally bigger..the battery is a bit larger.

However the camera is going to be better on the lumia...early hands on comparisons between the two point to lumia being nicer in the hand and strangely the weight adds to the premium feel...make of that what you want.

The screen I'm going to have to give to the lumia...331ppi rgb ips +..with some kind of double refresh rate, clear black polarizer and advanced synsptics touch gizmo...contrast, colour saturation and response times have vastly improved on the new ips displays...and they are brighter, more natural, show better whites and offer superior power consumption on everything other than black...no doubt negating the smaller battery.

One of my complaints about the 920 was Bluetooth 4.0...now solved...others were mhl out and stereo recording...thats it.

Lumia offers better software features, wireless charging also that the others don't have.

Ativ S has aluminum "unibody" but plastic, removable back.

edit: While it has larger battery, the screen is bigger too, and draining more battery (no, the fact that it's AMOLED doesn't mean it consumes less power)

Ativ S has aluminum "unibody" but plastic, removable back.

edit: While it has larger battery, the screen is bigger too, and draining more battery (no, the fact that it's AMOLED doesn't mean it consumes less power)

darkened AMOLED pixels do not use power...go with a very dark theme and AMOLED uses less than IPS.

darkened AMOLED pixels do not use power...go with a very dark theme and AMOLED uses less than IPS.

Yes, and Windows Phone has dark themes... oh wait, they don't ;)
You get more colors than WP7 had, but they're still all quite bright AFAIK

two batteries: listen to music / watch movies all the way to China...then swap out the battery and have juice for calls upon arrival.

There is this totally advanced brand new technology on planes called outlets! It is really rare though, only 99.999% of international planes have them at every seat.

Unfortunately mize web pages are white...both ips and amoleds use roughly the same kind of power on colours....LCD uses anywhere up 5x less power on whites...amoleds power saving on blacks is true...but gap has narrowed considerably on newer ips displays and is not in the same ball park as the amoleds inferiority to whites.

Yea it looks like the ativ s has a plastic back..and a micro sd card slot....well that's knocked it down a peg for me...it doesn't look as good as the galaxy s3.

HTC 8x looks like a slavish cheap copy of the Nokia designs stretching back to the n9...I thought the one x was stretching it bit...but the new range really does take the piss..almost complete carbon copys!!...they even tried to differentiate with the camera tech as well...another Nokia forte.

There is this totally advanced brand new technology on planes called outlets! It is really rare though, only 99.999% of international planes have them at every seat.

LOL. I travel over 100,000 miles per year and no, 99.999% of aircraft do not have outlets.
More and more do, but not all and, if you book late, you'll get stuck in the far rear seats with no outlets...or you'll be on an older 747-400 with no outlets in economy at all.

Basically any plane with shared video (movies overhead) won't have outlets and only the newer ones with individual screens have outlets. Seatguru is your friend in this regard.

I hardly think that HTC should be due any criticism for 'copying' Nokia by trying to improve the quality of their cameras!

Rather, criticise the manufacturers who don't make an effort to innovate or improve the cameras on their phones.

Ok fair enough, but the aesthetics are a definite carbon copy....HTC has innovated in the past...who can forget the brilliant designed hero, legend?..even the sensation whilst chunky was very high quality and premium, along with their innovative kick stand designs..still wish someone else would put that on their phones.

But they have let them self down with these copies, hope Nokia sues them if they can, there's no innovation if one company comes with a great idea...then others just copy instead of innovating.

Back