Nokia's Present & Future

Can't find the tweet right now, but Nokia's Damian Dinning confirmed that like 808, Lumia 920 uses High Amplitude Audio Capture, only difference being that 808 does it in stereo while 920 does it in mono

As for the thickness, the Qi-induction charging adds some to it apparently, as does the floating camera module, it takes that much more space than "normal, stationary module"

As has been mentioned in the iPhone thread, I'm not sure what wireless charging brings. You still need some compatible device close to your phone and charging will be less efficient than with a cable. Add to that there's no single standard, that it makes devices fatter and that pluggin a cable is a two second affair...

As has been mentioned in the iPhone thread, I'm not sure what wireless charging brings. You still need some compatible device close to your phone and charging will be less efficient than with a cable. Add to that there's no single standard, that it makes devices fatter and that pluggin a cable is a two second affair...

At home / office it doesn't bring that much, but airports, cafes etc are a whole different thing, reportedly at least some have already made deals to supply their tables with Qi-wireless charging

Also, there is a standard, which is what Nokia uses too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(wireless_power_standard)
Qi is by Wireless Power Consortium, and mobile phone manufacturers supporting it include Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, LG and Motorola.

At home / office it doesn't bring that much, but airports, cafes etc are a whole different thing, reportedly at least some have already made deals to supply their tables with Qi-wireless charging
I didn't know about that, thanks. A question remains: how efficient such a charging is?

Also, there is a standard, which is what Nokia uses too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(wireless_power_standard)
Qi is by Wireless Power Consortium, and mobile phone manufacturers supporting it include Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Sony, Huawei, LG and Motorola.
That means that Intel will go to hell with its wireless charging technology? :oops:

Is the mat the only way to charge the 920?

People going to have to pack the mat for trips instead of just a charger cable? My iPhone and iPad chargers also recharge my Mifi, GPS receiver (for geotagging) and one or two other devices.

today's matts aren't that great but on my dresser at home i have a piece of glass to stop the furniture from being scratched . Imagine being able to buy something that size where i can simply put all my devices down on it and they will all charge.

Instead of having 10 chargers for 10 devices i have a single one. That to me is the future much more so than yet another cable that doesn't do everything without adapters.

People going to have to pack the mat for trips instead of just a charger cable? My iPhone and iPad chargers also recharge my Mifi, GPS receiver (for geotagging) and one or two other devices.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/5311096/lumia920handson12_1020_gallery_post.jpg

uses micro usb .

What iphone and ipad cable do you use that charges a mifi , gps and other devices ? Apple cables only work on apple products . Unless your talking about bringing the ac adapter and then 2 diffrent cables.

The chargers that come with the iPhone and iPad have USB ports. They are low profile, very small footprint and light. You can plug any cable into them. So the Mifi does use a micro USB cable. My GPS logger has a proprietary cable though, with USB on the other end.

The chargers that come with the iPhone and iPad have USB ports. They are low profile, very small footprint and light. You can plug any cable into them. So the Mifi does use a micro USB cable. My GPS logger has a proprietary cable though, with USB on the other end.

The chargers that come with the 920 is micro usb .... so you can just use the micro usb cable on everything except your gps that has its own cable. Thus you bring 2 cables + charger vs 3 cables + charger.

So ..... Dunno what your trying to say.

SAying if you have to use the mat, that would be a lot to pack for travel.

But if it also uses normal charge cables, then great.

That means that Intel will go to hell with its wireless charging technology? :oops:

wireless charging is largely an over hyped technology with little benefit, so yeah. Esp in something like a phone the added area and volume required for it really isn't desired. You are much better of filling that area with extra battery or just making the device thinner and lighter.

The real issue is if I have to put it on some mat somewhere, I might as well just plug the thing in.

I think they need to get their heads checked for going Windows Phone only. :D

They could be shipping the 920 running ICS and JB now, instead of around November.

wireless charging is largely an over hyped technology with little benefit, so yeah. Esp in something like a phone the added area and volume required for it really isn't desired. You are much better of filling that area with extra battery or just making the device thinner and lighter.

The real issue is if I have to put it on some mat somewhere, I might as well just plug the thing in.

With current infrastructure sure. But what if those pads became almost ubiquitous in public locations? In busses? Trains? Restaurants? Hotels? Bars? Friend's and family's houses?

Maybe it becomes a reality, maybe it doesn't. If it does, perhaps you'll never have to carry a charging cable with you ever again. If it doesn't? Then yes, it'll remain just a cheap gimmick.

The biggest problems is convincing everyone to use the same standard. And the next problem is what happens if a more efficient way of doing it becomes available?

Regards,
SB

You can use microUSB like on any other new phone model since 2010 (or was it 2009?), excluding of course Apples, which get around the european comissions & phone companies (including Apple, btw) agreement on microUSB use by selling adapters.

And the "Fatboy mat" is just one of the Qi-wireless charging platforms available, there's also about phone sized platform, cradle-type platform and will be no doubt countless others later

I didn't know about that, thanks. A question remains: how efficient such a charging is?

According to the Wireless Power Consortium it has a DC to DC efficiency of at least 70%, but it can have an efficiency of at least 90% if the companies put some effort into it. Standby power of a charging of a charging 'platform' could be around 100 µW and maybe even lower (they aren't at the moment). Just look it up on their site.

In my mind wireless charging only become an interesting technology once it is a lot more ubiquitous, like having tables, desks and night stands with it embedded. That way you can charge your phone, tablet and laptop by simply laying it down on the table for example. BTW, their low power specification delivers up to 5 Watts, their medium power specification will deliver up to 120 Watts.

Helmore, already at least Virgin Atlantic and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf have made agreement with Nokia to make Qi wireless charging available at public locations (ie cafe tables, airport tables etc)

Helmore, already at least Virgin Atlantic and Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf have made agreement with Nokia to make Qi wireless charging available at public locations (ie cafe tables, airport tables etc)

Exactly its bit like nfc..you have to actually make the products before companies will invest in a standard...unlike palm who were first to this idea in 2009...Nokia has a complete long term strategy with it.

With current infrastructure sure. But what if those pads became almost ubiquitous in public locations? In busses? Trains? Restaurants? Hotels? Bars? Friend's and family's houses?

And what if pigs could fly? Or frogs could talk? I highly doubt that many businesses are going to pay the extra cost to install inductors on basically every surface.

Maybe it becomes a reality, maybe it doesn't. If it does, perhaps you'll never have to carry a charging cable with you ever again. If it doesn't? Then yes, it'll remain just a cheap gimmick.

You'll still have to carry it because it will never be a 100% solution.

The biggest problems is convincing everyone to use the same standard. And the next problem is what happens if a more efficient way of doing it becomes available?

It is one of the jetson technologies that will stay in fantasy land. Protip, if you technology requires a worldwide complete infrastructure change, it probably isn't going to work unless it is an order of magnitude better than what it replaces. This is trying to replace the power plug. It isn't going to happen. Not least of all because it adds weight and size to the exact devices on the market that you don't want to add weight and size to.

We'll see how available it is... May available and cover every surface are pretty wide extremes. The reality is probably nokia blowing another large chunk of money down the hole.

Back