Nokia's Present & Future

We'll see how available it is... May available and cover every surface are pretty wide extremes. The reality is probably nokia blowing another large chunk of money down the hole.

I wouldn't be so sure on that...Nokia has been responsible for many industry standards that we now take for granted..such as nfc...

I wouldn't be so sure on that...Nokia has been responsible for many industry standards that we now take for granted..such as nfc...

You are just proving his point now. NFC is practically useless outside of a handfull of businesses that allow you to make purchases with it. Its a cool gimmick to impress your non-technical friends with but thats about it.

The market only adopts a technology if there is enough market penetration by said technology. So if Lumia 920 can sell 50x more than last gen Lumias then maybe shops will adopt wireless charging.

Five years from now and even 10 years from now there will not be induction plates in public venues.

Instead be satisfied if we get USB ports at public places.

A lot of cafés at least in the US are removing access to power outlets so that people don't hog tables especially at busy times with laptops and other electronics.

You are just proving his point now. NFC is practically useless outside of a handfull of businesses that allow you to make purchases with it. Its a cool gimmick to impress your non-technical friends with but thats about it.

The market only adopts a technology if there is enough market penetration by said technology. So if Lumia 920 can sell 50x more than last gen Lumias then maybe shops will adopt wireless charging.

That's your personel opinion...that doesn't change the fact it's a new smartphone must have feature with a host of dedicated accessories and payment options..not forgetting the fact it's virtually brand new and these things take time.

You make it sound like Nokia has created a niche propriety technology like apple...no the system they use will be used by other manufacturers on androids/likely blackberry also...so wp adoption doesn't mean the technology won't prevail.

NFC is a horrible standard that we'll all be better off when it dies. 1-wire existed before it, performs better and requires a fraction of the antenna. Not to mention that NFC is hardly used by anyone. Lets put it this way, if NFC communication is basically a joke at retail in the SF bay with all its technology people, it has little chance in other places. WP is largely the same, hey its cool, but it really is pointless and useless. It is at best a pet rock technology.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's your personel opinion...that doesn't change the fact it's a new smartphone must have feature with a host of dedicated accessories and payment options..not forgetting the fact it's virtually brand new and these things take time.

You make it sound like Nokia has created a niche propriety technology like apple...no the system they use will be used by other manufacturers on androids/likely blackberry also...so wp adoption doesn't mean the technology won't prevail.

it won't prevail because it isn't needed and adds extra weight and volume to the device. It certainly doesn't help that its marque device is both significantly larger and weighs significantly more than its competitors with no redeeming benefit.

Nokia needs to focus on reducing device size and weight, not adding useless features that bloat size and weight.

Pointing out that NFC has been available for almost 7 years and is still not used by anyone is not my personal opinion. Its fact

Well we have gone off track a bit as it was in the context of wireless charging...which I think will be here to stay.

Nfc may have been around in some form for 7 years...but that's a pointless statement as it was not pushed or supported in any major consumer devices untill very recently..

Anyway my point was that nfc was a Nokia developed/pushed technology that has been adopted as an industry standard communication system..similar to Bluetooth...a feature that consumers look out for and a feature the iPhone 5 has been criticized for not adopting...as for added bulk..my galaxy s3 is 8.6mm thin...so it can't be that bad..any added complexity to the smartphone internals is of no concern to tegra consumer...only added functionality..which nfc adds...at a ever increasing rate..even if it's just speakers, docks, headphones you are interested in and not bothered about payments...

I expect wireless charging will become a very usefull feature for consumers...not everyone can be bothered with cable clutter...I for one would love to get in from work and chuck my smartphone on the table with my keys and forget about it..knowing full well it's charging..

Same with going to neros coffee house or restaurant's...leaving it on the table whilst eating and watch it charge whilst you intermittently pick it up and use WiFi...

I don't really see the argument against it other then added thickness...I held a Nokia lumia 900 for the first like the other day and was actually pleasantly surprised at how comfortable to hold it was..considering I was one of the nay sayers who disliked its thickness and weight...the 920 is a little heavier..but I don't think it will matter as it has a bigger battery...

Future innovations like hd amoled or in cell touch LCD will allow sub 9mm handsets with all the gubbins...and for me there is a limit to how thin and light a phone device can be before it become uncomfortable to hold and feel cheap...something that's also been aimed at the new iPhone...not cheap..but not "reassuringly solid"

As for wp being a useless gimmick..that's a pretty baseless silly comment to make on these forums...whether you like it or not is irrelevant, it is quite obviously a well designed, fast and efficient operating system with over 100, 000 apps...it offers something new and fresh that too be honest the drab looking ios could certainly benefit from.

I'm sticking with android for now, but I know a good product when I see one.

Apparently iPhone 5 wouldn't work well with NFC because of the aluminum back plate. That and trying to make it thinner possibly.

So the tradeoff is, a certain form factor design vs. a feature with potential but largely unrealized.

I like the idea of NFC. When I travel to Europe, I run into plenty of situations like gas stations and train station kiosks which won't take my American credit card. If it could rectify those situations and also let me use instead of buying an Oyster card when I visit London, I'd be all for it.

But it's a chicken and egg situation that's not going to resolve itself any time soon. Hell, if Americans can't get EMV credit cards, what hope is there for NFC transactions?

Anyways, I hear there's the potential to use Bluetooth instead of the tech that NFC would use, which is RFID I guess?

If Passbook takes off with iOS6, maybe they can get more companies to participate and build up a network for doing transactions.

Come on, a comparison between 2 phones that aren't out yet and that haven't been independently tested?!? Let's wait for tests and buyers reports.

I think you have taken things out of context Laurent...I didn't say "this proves one is better than the other"..I meant its gaining some mind share with consumers.

HTC just announced their WP8 lineup with photos and Nokia is going to have a slugfest on their hands.

Looks like a pretty good camera in the 8X though you'd think the OIS in the L920 ought to have the edge.

If I was in the market for a WP8 device and had to pick between these two phones, I'd personally go for the much lighter and less bulky 8X.

Slugfest looks to be the right word here.

Looks like a pretty good camera in the 8X though you'd think the OIS in the L920 ought to have the edge.

If I was in the market for a WP8 device and had to pick between these two phones, I'd personally go for the much lighter and less bulky 8X.

Slugfest looks to be the right word here.

Why HTC chose no microSD or removable battery though I have no clue...

I think they are just following on from their One series of phones. I'd imagine the polycarbonate unibody thing means that a replaceable battery isn't perhaps feasible?

The lack of microSD expansion on the top-end device is just bloody ridiculous, however, especially as modern phones are very capable media players. The ability to fill up a cheap 32GB memory card with movies when travelling is really a no-brainer for me.

Both Nokia Lumia 920 & 820 now have Bluetooth 4.0 support, it was just a matter of not having it certified yet at the unveiling.

Why HTC chose no microSD or removable battery though I have no clue...

I personally don't have much use for a removable battery, I've never really seen the need for one, but I do agree on the lack of a microSD slot. You don't do a high end phone with only 16GB that lacks a microSD slot IMHO. I don't really mind the lack of a microSD slot if the phone had more build in flash storage, but 16GB is a little small for a current high end phone.

Back