Nokia's Present & Future

I'm sure Nokia must be fuming right now after seeing HTC brand their new Windows phones as the signature Windows 8 phones. But irrespective of naming/branding, it should have been obvious to Nokia a long time ago that both HTC and Samsung would receive favorable treatment from Microsoft, and that both HTC and Samsung would provide very strong competition to the Lumia series for Windows Phone 8.

The HTC 8X (but not HTC 8S) does have some visual similarities to Nokia Lumia 920, but there are some differences too. The colored front border is shaped differently. The screen size is different. The HxWxD dimensions are different. The backside is different. HTC does deserve some credit from an industrial design standpoint for the "pyramidal" chassis design (http://images.anandtech.com/doci/6315/htc-nyc-061.jpg). It may not be the greatest in terms of packaging as many components as possible in a smartphone, or in making as thin a phone as physically possible, but it looks to be pretty great in the look and feel of the device.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czIrXlkNHOw

OIS in 3rd party test, it's just as good if not better than advertised (note: not referring to the promotional advert which wasn't shot on the 920, but the actual 920 video shown at launch)
that's amazing...the video on this galaxy s3 is awesome..it astounds people who see it for the first time...that however is much better...even the colours are better....the screen looks brighter although too be fair we don't know the brightness settings of both phones, also galaxy s3 has some colours saturation profiles which could have been turned down..certainly I would be surprised if that screen looked any better then the amoleds.

Well, it's been said to be better than One X's IPS LCD2, and that is already seen by many as good if not better as pentile AMOLEDs (which S3 uses too), possibly even on par with RGB AMOLEDs

A single burning platform isn't enough, so Nokia is preparing to launch another WP7 device: the Lumia 510.

Seems like WP8 doesn't scale well enough to cover all of the market. This one will keep the 610 company in the "won't even run Angry Birds" category.

A single burning platform isn't enough, so Nokia is preparing to launch another WP7 device: the Lumia 510.

Seems like WP8 doesn't scale well enough to cover all of the market. This one will keep the 610 company in the "won't even run Angry Birds" category.

Makes perfect sense too me, keep the wp7.8 going for the Brudget end of the spectrum...also keeps the apps ticking over for all wp7 users...and the whole thing ties in together...a bit like symbian and meego would have ;/

If I wasn't so attached to the stylus in my Note, I would definitely be springing for the Lumia 920. I don't see any real disadvantage with the dual core S4, and that camera is so good that I'd be willing to give up AMOLED.

The fact that it comes with pretty much the fastest dual core on the markets means it doesnt't "scale well enought"? :rolleyes:

The fact that it comes with pretty much the fastest dual core on the markets means it doesnt't "scale well enought"? :rolleyes:

Obviously. Or they'd be able to deploy it on this 800MHz MSM7227A phone as well, instead they have to resort to a dead OS.

Well, it does come at 1GHz S4 too, and will open up to other CPUs later too, MS just wanted controlled launch on limited chipsets and limited it to S4

Well, it does come at 1GHz S4 too, and will open up to other CPUs later too, MS just wanted controlled launch on limited chipsets and limited it to S4

Just look at the HTX 8S, which has considerably more pedestrian specs compared to all the other WP8 handsets released thus far. It has a 1 GHz dual Krait core S4 chip with Adreno 305 graphics and 512 MB RAM and a 800 by 480 resolution. MSRP will probably be around 300 euro, considerably lower than the expected 500+ euro (probably €549) MSRP of the 8X.

Some head to head low light camera work featuring lumia 920 v iPhone 5, HTC one x,galaxy s3, 808 preview....
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/26/lumia-920-low-light-shootout/

As you can see, Nokia didn't have to cheat at all, lumia 920 easily beat its competitors in those low light conditions...surprisingly the iPhone 5 also did very well....

This is a stabilization test know video, and once again you can the Nokia 920 take a solid win over the iPhone 5 and was much better then the other rivals...

IPhone 5 once again did very well even if it didn't snatch the win.
http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/25/iphone-5-lumia-920-image-stabilization-face-off/

The over all picture quality..including detail and colour was much better on the lumia 920 compared to the rest..(auto mode)...which surprised me somewhat..as I'm of the opinion my galaxy s3 has an amazing camara..to think another 8mp shooter can top that...easily is quite impressive really.

IPhone also looks very good IMO.

That Engadet comparison is a huge pile of crap, please keep that shit out of these forums french_toast.

What that article/comparison does is show the difference between the auto settings on all the phones, nothing more. Quoting a comment there:
Just looking at the exif data from the images, in some of the night shots the lumia was exposed for 1 second (!!), in the comparison shots it was 1/3 of a second, iphone was 1/15 (@ 3200 iso, if anyone was wondering where all that grain came from), S3 was 1/17, OneX was 1/14. That lumia is getting a massive amount of light, which makes me wonder if they wouldn't be better reducing the exposure times a bit. In most of these shots there is ample light, they could afford to lose a little bit to trade for some perfect sharpness.
The One X and S3 specifically have a night mode / low light setting which they completely disregarded.

I'd advise to keep away from Engadget as they are not a technological blog any more, they are just AOL puppets looking for page-views with the technological aptness of a baboon. They have not been able to provide a single worthwhile article since all the crew with half a brain switched to The Verge.

Will a superior camera be enough to win over customers from other brands?

At the trade off a thicker and heavier device?

Nokia had some of the best cameras for years on their Symbian phones too.

Most smart phone pics are used to post low quality pics to social networking sites so most smart phone users are not pixel peeping these photos.

That Engadet comparison is a huge pile of crap, please keep that shit out of these forums french_toast.

What that article/comparison does is show the difference between the auto settings on all the phones, nothing more. Quoting a comment there:

The One X and S3 specifically have a night mode / low light setting which they completely disregarded.

I'd advise to keep away from Engadget as they are not a technological blog any more, they are just AOL puppets looking for page-views with the technological aptness of a baboon. They have not been able to provide a single worthwhile article since all the crew with half a brain switched to The Verge.

In a word..no!.

The test correctly uses the auto mode to test...because let's be honest night mode is a joke, a complete faf to set up quickly and still takes craps shots..flash improves things but again sometimes washes out shots...

So having a camera that you can just quickly point and shoot whilst out with friends to catch the moment instead of pissing around with the settings...as i do with my galaxy s3...is a boon.

The stabilisation is also very handy as the site demonstrates the superiority of the lumia in that situation also...camera shake can spoil a good video making it a jerky mess...

So no I don't think in this instance it's worthless..

@WCO81- No not just the camera..but the over all package.
Symbian was a crap out dated os, with low end out of date components, no apps or anything...so comparisons to symbian are next to useless.

It has a class leading feature..which makes it stand out..in fact it has a few...rare in smartphones where everyone seems to copy everyone else.

Social networking sites do actually show decent photos you know...

Lumia 920 is getting plenty of attention, not JUST because of the outstanding camera per se...but because they have innovated and from my perspective produced a very compelling product.

Lumia 900 and the N9 got a lot of praise on forums and they didn't translate into huge sales so lets see what happens with the Lumia 920.

Some people seem to think the Samsung or the HTC WP8 phones may be better for them.

Really the challenge is for any WP8 phone to outsell something like the One X.

Back