No Man's Sky [PC]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Malo, Aug 12, 2016.

1. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Wow that's pretty funny. I'm glad I don't really follow the lead up to games that much and pay attention to journalism and company PR bullshit. I'm enjoying NSM and I'll probably enjoy Star Citizen for the same reason :lol:

Personally I think this is a very impressive undertaking for a small Indie group which unfortunately had the press of a AAA without the budget or man-power and a company lead that chose to do nothing to paint a realistic picture of what they were creating.

2. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Not the first, and doubtless not the last to over-promise and under-deliver. Just saying.

Wonder what DS has to say about NMS :/ Though admittedly I'm not wondering enough to read it if it were to be put in front of me.

So much PR *sniff*.

3. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

Even the four latest trailers showing features which are not in the game.
    Nevertheless, it may still be a good game which will entertain a lot of gamers many hours. But I can understand the disappointment of some people. I hope that the game will get many free content. Perhaps some of these elements will come later.

As for Star Citizen. The development is transparent and some elements can already be tested by players. For this, they can also give an input. What should CIG change etc.
    It was also said that some features will not be there at launch.

EDIT:
    He said this: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/763720182351224832

OT:
    I think he is in trouble now because he started the harassment campaign against Chris Roberts' wife. https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart...octor_doctor_smart_gone_over_the_line/d63aej5

All major german gaming magazines/sites reported that. A lot of PC players in Germany are disgusted by him now.

#83 Jupiter, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    Arwin likes this.
  4. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

I got a refund today becaue the game wasn't working right on my 290. It would just stutter at random times and I couldn't figure out what is going. I even tried the experimental branch of the game. I wll check it out in a month or two if performance improves

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

How long did you play? It has to build the shades as it encounters them so the first hour can be occasional hitching as y ou encounter new things.

6. zed

zed
    Veteran

Wow the game visually exceeds what I expected. I will have to pick this up in a couple of months after everyones done all the betatesting and gotten rid of the bugs.
    Is there a story in the game or not?

7. DSoup

DSoup meh

This works if you ignore that it's not a AAA game and Hello Games have been clear they are a small indie studio. That and Sony already have exclusive AAA games. Apart from that, spot on. :nope:

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Is there any time pre-release hype for something hasn't lead to disappointment? Nothing man-made can compare to people's imagined hopes and expectations for a perfect product. Unreleased stuff should always be approached with...realism. Unless one is happy to enjoy the hype and not be disappointed when it's not lived up to, which would be a fun way to live but I don't think anyone can actually live like that. ;)

I don't think you can develop any sizeable game this way unless it's your absolute baby. As Murray says, there were times he felt like giving up, and it was only the positivity of the community that fuelled progress. I think modern development, certainly for smaller teams, requires public incentive. When you're working that hard on something with no idea if it'll sink or swim, you have to evaluate whether to continue or give up, and people telling you to continue is basically the only meaningful motivation other than a hefty pay check from someone.

9. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

Let's also not forget that day one sales have been positively stellar ... That alone guarantees a lot of complaints and issues on PC :p

DSoup and Malo like this.
  10. Silent_Buddha

Legend

The thing is a lot of the hype was fueled by the developer themselves as the Reddit thread illustrates. Of course, then there was gamer hype on top of that hype for features that were showcased and/or promised but never delivered. At that point the developer is fueling the hype and the public helps it grow which the developer then fuels with more showcased features which drives the public, etc. And then if those features aren't delivered, the house of cards comes crashing down.

If a developer is going to involve the public in the development process, they need to be very careful about what they decide to show. Especially if it is something that may or may not make it into the game. Especially when said features are meant to drive interest (hype) in the game. And people that jumped on the bandwagon did so expecting those features to be in the game will be extremely disappointed if they aren't as that was why they became interested in the game in the first place.

Regards,
    SB

BRiT likes this.
  11. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year

Not much will get Jupiter riled up like someone dissing on The Chairm
    If he got a refund then he couldn't have played it for more than an hour right?

How long does it take for the hitching to die down? An hour seems like a long time to deal with nonsense like that..it'd be better if they just cached all the shaders at load time imo.

BRiT likes this.
  12. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Yeah I don't know, an hour is a bit extreme. On my wife's 980 and my 970 it was about 10 minutes of exploring planetside and in space. But it also depends on what you're doing because if you limiting your exposure to different elements in the game, then that hitching will continue as you encounter those elements. Anyway was just an observation based on my experience with it so far.

13. eastmen

Legend Subscriber

It says an hour 45 minutes on my steam account. But it was really really bad i'm I would take a step and it would just stutter like mad. It was not fun at all.

14. Silent_Buddha

Legend

You have 2 hours from when you first start the game to file a claim for a refund.

Regards,
    SB

15. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

16. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Still liking the game and slowly making my way towards the center (I've finished the Atlas path) but i have to say, the one major setback of the game for me is that no matter how different each planet looks the gameplay loop is essentially exactly the same and that is disappointing. Also, it doesn't help that survival is pretty much guaranteed unless you are looking to die, and even if you 'die' the death doesn't really mean anything. It is a nice proof of concept but there's lots of room for improvement.

17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

18. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Yeah that's one of the drawbacks of procedural content is that essentially the base gameplay is the same with a different look on each planet. It would have been nice if during the long development they made some different looks for the cave growths like they do for the surface flora. I should continue on my path though, I've spent all my time in the first few systems other than visiting the first Altas Interface and getting my v1 pass.

19. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year

This is what scares me about the game. It's not 18bajillion planets, it's one planet over and over and over and over with rng determining the colors and shapes. From what I've seen in yt videos I'm afraid it would bore me to tears. It would be better IMO if they just had a dozen totally unique planets.

RootKit likes this.
  20. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Shameless plug, but my Adventure's game engine is set to support procedural gameplay, including procedural skills. It's certainly doable (in theory! Haven't completed my game yet) if the gameplay is parameterised up front.

The way I'm thinking of it is encounters. Thinking back among the games I've played, I'm designing around memorable moments and thinking "how can these be parameterised?" Then I can create randomised encounters which, with enough parameter variation, should play differently enough that they aren't samey. But I planned this from the very beginning, and also it screws up precreated levels that makes earlier development tougher. I can set several randomised objectives and targets in a level during procedural creation, but creating these in a level editor isn't easy, and is a problem I've to solve for the fixed-level demo.

In the case of NMS, they could have different gravities and monsters with different behaviour patterns. Each planet could be viewed as an encounter with a specific flavour, so 'fire fight' for one', 'resource management' another, 'stealth' another. Tweak gravity, run speeds (with some science mumbo-jumbo explanation), outposts, critters, etc.

That's something for NMS2 though. I can appreciate what they've doe with NMS as a first title that's dragged on 3 years in the making. Retrofitting some variety, when the idea behind the game wasn't even fleshed out during much of that 3 years, is asking too much. Unless they can patch it in? But I'd say take the profits and go make NMS 2.