No Man's Sky [PC]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Malo, Aug 12, 2016.

1. DSoup

DSoup meh
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Because it apparently needs to be said; why do people pre-order games? To play them as soon as they possibly can.

I don't see this changing. Some people still have to wait for delivery or hours and hours of download times.

2. Lightman

Veteran Subscriber

The only game I've preordered in the last 5 years was The Witcher 3, but I had historical evidence of previous games from CDPR and they gave me 25% off the lauch price for preordering and owning prewious titles.

So in principal I agree with the rule of not preordering, but as with everything in life, there are exceptions to that rule.

3. ToTTenTranz

Some people are pre-ordering because publishers are offering perks for pre-orders.

I don't remember if this was the case with No Man's Sky, though.

I learned my "never pre-order" lesson with Colonial Marines, but that day I also learned I should sabotage Gearbox (namely just not buying their games) as long as it's headed by Randy Pitchford. I'm sorry if this bothers some people, but I can't give money to a company ruled by a person who actively harms the industry.
    The same will probably happen to Sean Murray at this point.

4. DSoup

DSoup meh

There was a pre-order ship for NMS (which ironically could cause a game breaking bug) but I've yet to see a pre-order bonus worth a damn and for this reason I don't think the actual pre-order bonus is the actual draw. For the bonus to be a draw there has to be perceived value and you often can't tell the value of the pre-order stuff until the game is out. So I'm still of the belief that it's mostly people just wanting to play a highly anticipated game at midnight/launch/unlock time.

I will confidently pre-order Rockstar games, Bethesda Games Studio games and Naughty Dog games. These are invariably games that I will make time to play on day 1 and which have never disappointed. After Witcher 3 I think I can add CD Projekt Red to that short list of devs. Other games I buy after launch reviews and get played as and when I have time. I am really looking forward to Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4/Pro but I want to save it for when I have a stretch of free time. Besides, Skyrim just sucked me back in. I'm a sucker for Bethesda openworld RPGs.. warts, balance issues and all.

Lightman and Malo like this.
  5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

So the Foundation Update has arrived and it's absolutely massive as expected. Waaaay too much stuff to post here but here's a summary:

• 3 separate game modes now: Normal, Creative and Survival
    • Base Building
    • Farming
    • Camps
    • Own Freighters
    • New resources & technology
    • TAA and Motion Blur added
    • Very long patch notes list

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/foundation-update/

[​IMG]

#265 Malo, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    Jupiter and DSoup like this.
  6. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

What's the survival mode?

7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

I haven't looked at it yet but from the description, it makes the general basics of the game more difficult by raising the effect of the environment on your systems, making the aliens more deadly and making it more difficult to obtain resources needed for survival.

8. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Had a brief look tonight. I guess it's the TAA combined with a lot of flora but the performance rather tanked on my 970 system.

Not sure if it was there before but there's a Photo Mode option now which removes all the HUD and any prompts whatsoever. Completely clear for screenshots.

9. Jupiter

Veteran Newcomer

The patch goes into the right direction. Let's see what comes next.

Player count increased after patch: http://steamcharts.com/cmp/359550,292730,275850#7d

411 players before the patch are ridiculous for a game which was sold so often. Remember it started with 220 000 players on steam.

#269 Jupiter, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    BRiT likes this.