No Man's Sky [PC]

I can understand that some people are disappointed. Hello Games promised a of stuff which is not in the game:

Here is a very good post about this. https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyT...eres_the_nms_we_were_sold_on_heres_a_big_list
Wow that's pretty funny. I'm glad I don't really follow the lead up to games that much and pay attention to journalism and company PR bullshit. I'm enjoying NSM and I'll probably enjoy Star Citizen for the same reason :LOL:

Personally I think this is a very impressive undertaking for a small Indie group which unfortunately had the press of a AAA without the budget or man-power and a company lead that chose to do nothing to paint a realistic picture of what they were creating.

I can understand that some people are disappointed. Hello Games promised a of stuff which is not in the game:

Not the first, and doubtless not the last to over-promise and under-deliver. Just saying.

Wonder what DS has to say about NMS :/ Though admittedly I'm not wondering enough to read it if it were to be put in front of me.

So much PR *sniff*.

Wow that's pretty funny. I'm glad I don't really follow the lead up to games that much and pay attention to journalism and company PR bullshit. I'm enjoying NSM and I'll probably enjoy Star Citizen for the same reason :LOL:

Personally I think this is a very impressive undertaking for a small Indie group which unfortunately had the press of a AAA without the budget or man-power and a company lead that chose to do nothing to paint a realistic picture of what they were creating.

Even the four latest trailers showing features which are not in the game.
Nevertheless, it may still be a good game which will entertain a lot of gamers many hours. But I can understand the disappointment of some people. I hope that the game will get many free content. Perhaps some of these elements will come later.

As for Star Citizen. The development is transparent and some elements can already be tested by players. For this, they can also give an input. What should CIG change etc.
It was also said that some features will not be there at launch.

EDIT:
Wonder what DS has to say about NMS :/ Though admittedly I'm not wondering enough to read it if it were to be put in front of me.

He said this: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/763720182351224832

OT:
I think he is in trouble now because he started the harassment campaign against Chris Roberts' wife. https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart...octor_doctor_smart_gone_over_the_line/d63aej5

All major german gaming magazines/sites reported that. A lot of PC players in Germany are disgusted by him now.

Last edited:
I got a refund today becaue the game wasn't working right on my 290. It would just stutter at random times and I couldn't figure out what is going. I even tried the experimental branch of the game. I wll check it out in a month or two if performance improves

I got a refund today becaue the game wasn't working right on my 290. It would just stutter at random times and I couldn't figure out what is going. I even tried the experimental branch of the game. I wll check it out in a month or two if performance improves
How long did you play? It has to build the shades as it encounters them so the first hour can be occasional hitching as y ou encounter new things.

Is there any advantage going with OpenGL over Vulkan?

OT: After many hours of play i finally encountered one desert type planet, looks quite lovely :)

275850_20160814200129ywj84.jpg
Wow the game visually exceeds what I expected. I will have to pick this up in a couple of months after everyones done all the betatesting and gotten rid of the bugs.
Is there a story in the game or not?

They speculate it's a 60 USD game because Sony wanted to hype it as a unique exclusive AAA game once they saw people's reactions to the initial reveal.
This works if you ignore that it's not a AAA game and Hello Games have been clear they are a small indie studio. That and Sony already have exclusive AAA games. Apart from that, spot on. :nope:

The ridiculous hype of this game ruined it for so many.
Is there any time pre-release hype for something hasn't lead to disappointment? Nothing man-made can compare to people's imagined hopes and expectations for a perfect product. Unreleased stuff should always be approached with...realism. Unless one is happy to enjoy the hype and not be disappointed when it's not lived up to, which would be a fun way to live but I don't think anyone can actually live like that. ;)

I think people would like a lot more games if this was the case. But you can't really develop games like that these days unless your a small indie developer self funding a small indie project.
I don't think you can develop any sizeable game this way unless it's your absolute baby. As Murray says, there were times he felt like giving up, and it was only the positivity of the community that fuelled progress. I think modern development, certainly for smaller teams, requires public incentive. When you're working that hard on something with no idea if it'll sink or swim, you have to evaluate whether to continue or give up, and people telling you to continue is basically the only meaningful motivation other than a hefty pay check from someone.

Is there any time pre-release hype for something hasn't lead to disappointment? Nothing man-made can compare to people's imagined hopes and expectations for a perfect product.

The thing is a lot of the hype was fueled by the developer themselves as the Reddit thread illustrates. Of course, then there was gamer hype on top of that hype for features that were showcased and/or promised but never delivered. At that point the developer is fueling the hype and the public helps it grow which the developer then fuels with more showcased features which drives the public, etc. And then if those features aren't delivered, the house of cards comes crashing down.

If a developer is going to involve the public in the development process, they need to be very careful about what they decide to show. Especially if it is something that may or may not make it into the game. Especially when said features are meant to drive interest (hype) in the game. And people that jumped on the bandwagon did so expecting those features to be in the game will be extremely disappointed if they aren't as that was why they became interested in the game in the first place.

Regards,
SB

Not much will get Jupiter riled up like someone dissing on The Chairm
How long did you play? It has to build the shades as it encounters them so the first hour can be occasional hitching as y ou encounter new things.
If he got a refund then he couldn't have played it for more than an hour right?

How long does it take for the hitching to die down? An hour seems like a long time to deal with nonsense like that..it'd be better if they just cached all the shaders at load time imo.

Yeah I don't know, an hour is a bit extreme. On my wife's 980 and my 970 it was about 10 minutes of exploring planetside and in space. But it also depends on what you're doing because if you limiting your exposure to different elements in the game, then that hitching will continue as you encounter those elements. Anyway was just an observation based on my experience with it so far.

It says an hour 45 minutes on my steam account. But it was really really bad i'm I would take a step and it would just stutter like mad. It was not fun at all.

Not much will get Jupiter riled up like someone dissing on The Chairm

If he got a refund then he couldn't have played it for more than an hour right?

How long does it take for the hitching to die down? An hour seems like a long time to deal with nonsense like that..it'd be better if they just cached all the shaders at load time imo.

You have 2 hours from when you first start the game to file a claim for a refund.

Regards,
SB

Still liking the game and slowly making my way towards the center (I've finished the Atlas path) but i have to say, the one major setback of the game for me is that no matter how different each planet looks the gameplay loop is essentially exactly the same and that is disappointing. Also, it doesn't help that survival is pretty much guaranteed unless you are looking to die, and even if you 'die' the death doesn't really mean anything. It is a nice proof of concept but there's lots of room for improvement.

Still liking the game and slowly making my way towards the center (I've finished the Atlas path) but i have to say, the one major setback of the game for me is that no matter how different each planet looks the gameplay loop is essentially exactly the same and that is disappointing. Also, it doesn't help that survival is pretty much guaranteed unless you are looking to die, and even if you 'die' the death doesn't really mean anything. It is a nice proof of concept but there's lots of room for improvement.
Yeah that's one of the drawbacks of procedural content is that essentially the base gameplay is the same with a different look on each planet. It would have been nice if during the long development they made some different looks for the cave growths like they do for the surface flora. I should continue on my path though, I've spent all my time in the first few systems other than visiting the first Altas Interface and getting my v1 pass.

Yeah that's one of the drawbacks of procedural content is that essentially the base gameplay is the same with a different look on each planet.
This is what scares me about the game. It's not 18bajillion planets, it's one planet over and over and over and over with rng determining the colors and shapes. From what I've seen in yt videos I'm afraid it would bore me to tears. It would be better IMO if they just had a dozen totally unique planets.

Yeah that's one of the drawbacks of procedural content is that essentially the base gameplay is the same with a different look on each planet. It would have been nice if during the long development they made some different looks for the cave growths like they do for the surface flora. I should continue on my path though, I've spent all my time in the first few systems other than visiting the first Altas Interface and getting my v1 pass.
Shameless plug, but my Adventure's game engine is set to support procedural gameplay, including procedural skills. It's certainly doable (in theory! Haven't completed my game yet) if the gameplay is parameterised up front.

The way I'm thinking of it is encounters. Thinking back among the games I've played, I'm designing around memorable moments and thinking "how can these be parameterised?" Then I can create randomised encounters which, with enough parameter variation, should play differently enough that they aren't samey. But I planned this from the very beginning, and also it screws up precreated levels that makes earlier development tougher. I can set several randomised objectives and targets in a level during procedural creation, but creating these in a level editor isn't easy, and is a problem I've to solve for the fixed-level demo.

In the case of NMS, they could have different gravities and monsters with different behaviour patterns. Each planet could be viewed as an encounter with a specific flavour, so 'fire fight' for one', 'resource management' another, 'stealth' another. Tweak gravity, run speeds (with some science mumbo-jumbo explanation), outposts, critters, etc.

That's something for NMS2 though. I can appreciate what they've doe with NMS as a first title that's dragged on 3 years in the making. Retrofitting some variety, when the idea behind the game wasn't even fleshed out during much of that 3 years, is asking too much. Unless they can patch it in? But I'd say take the profits and go make NMS 2.

Back