No Man's Sky [PC]

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Malo, Aug 12, 2016.

1. cjo

cjo
    Regular

I think they've lost too much goodwill with this launch to be able to make NMS2 successful without some major fixes to NMS first.

2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Fixing the issues with NMS is a given, but I don't know that they need to plug the gameplay. For the people for whom the game works, by and large they seem to be enjoying it.

3. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

As expected with OpenGL, NMS performs significantly better on Nvidia hardware

Frametime fluctuation is also significantly worse on the AMD side.

4. homerdog

homerdog donator of the year
    Legend Veteran Subscriber

Wow the GTX950 really smacks the RX460 in this game. 460 drops below 30fps at medium settings. It's hard to overstate how disappointed I am with the 460 :(

5. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Is an opengl game, it's hardly a good comparison on the 460. AMD have always been and continue to have very poor opengl performance. You can still be disappointed but no one should use this as a benchmark for true performance comparison (unless they happen to be played many opengl games lol)

6. homerdog

It seems AMD has a problem with CPU utilization in OpenGL. At this point I guess it's unlikely to ever be fixed but yeah it's not a huge deal in the grand scheme. Bring on Vulkan/DX12 already. Preferably Vulkan since MS thinks my Win7 license isn't Genuine (it certainly is) and won't let me upgrade to Win10 :(. I could easily pay for a Win10 license but I don't want to reward them for fucking me.

7. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

Fixed that for you :)

I'm sure the 950/460 comparison would be reversed if NMS was on Vulkan.

8. homerdog

That'd be a a fairly dramatic role reversal. I think the 460 would probably about match the 950 if the game were Vulkan. The 460 would surely gain a lot and the 950 would probly stay about the same since it's already so well utilized in OGL.

In any case this isn't really a fair comparison. The GTX1050 will clearly smash the 460 into oblivion. I at least expected AMD to not lose ground this gen after all the hype of Polaris and relative silence on Pascal but even that turned out to be wishful thinking :(

9. DSoup

DSoup meh

The numbers are a fair comparison for this game running on OpenGL. The fact it runs other games using other APIs better isn't going to make your No Man's Sky experience any better. :nope:

Shifty Geezer likes this.
  10. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

You could actually call support ...

RootKit likes this.
  11. homerdog

I meant it isn't fair to the 950 because it is a 28nm part. The fair comparison would be GP107 vs P11 imo. Which makes it all the more incredible that the 950 is faster than the 460 :oops:.

DSoup likes this.
  12. Clukos

Clukos Bloodborne 2 when?
    Veteran Newcomer

Maxwell and now Pascal were really successful launches for Nvidia. And their software team has to be applauded as well, I've got my 970 for almost two years now and the only PC game i can think of that was problematic -performance wise- on my system was Quantum Break on the windows store, and i play lots of games on PC. But yeah, OpenGL performance on AMD h/w is really disappointing, i'm just hoping more games will end up picking Dx12/Vulkan so that AMD products can compete at a similar level (or better in some cases) that way we can enjoy more fair prices in PC GPUs.

#112 Clukos, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  13. homerdog

It's very likely that once Vulkan/DX12 become mainstream NVIDIA will not allow itself to lose to AMD. The current situation isn't very surprising since devs have a lot of experience with low level coding on GCN and basically none at all on NVIDIA hardware. Over time that will change. And if it doesn't, NVIDIA will just throw money at the problem.

14. Bludd

Bludd Experiencing A Significant Gravitas Shortfall
    Veteran

So yesterday they released a ~20 MB patch and today they released a ~60 MB patch and all I can see that has happened is that the texturefiltering has become significantly worse. It's like being back in the days of nvidia's horrible texture filtering "optimizations".

I am going to try to delete the shadercache, force the anisotropic filtering to x16 (why would you ever use anything except max for this setting?) and start the game again.

15. homerdog

You mean it looks like there's no AF? I know in GTA5 there was a glitch where AF wouldn't take effect unless you turned it off and then back on when you start the game. Also you could try forcing AF in the driver though I'm not sure if that works in OpenGL.

As for AF, I guess there are rare cases when it makes some difference (Fallout 4?) but on any medium/high end semi-modern card it's basically free. Even 8x looks good enough to me tbh.

16. Bludd

Veteran

http://imgur.com/a/YPXbn

Maybe it's too dark but if you download these pictures and step through them, you should see the ugliness. Gonna try forcing it in the control panel now. Edit: forcing it to 16x in the control panel works, yay

17. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

You named the planet "Wow there is nickel here" ? :lol:

18. Bludd

Veteran

Yeah I was looking for nickel all over the place and I was so happy when I found a deposit :)

19. Malo

Malo Yak Mechanicum

haha I can't wait to start up NMS one day and as it's zooming through the stars see "WOW THERE IS NICKEL HERE" rushing by.

20. homerdog

The odds of that happening are well below that of winning the lottery isn't it? I think there is some mind boggling amount of planets in the game.

Yes as I expected there are 2^64 planets in the game. That's 18,446,744,073,709,551,616. So much for finding his nickel planet xD