Nintendo Switch Technical discussion [SOC = Tegra X1]

Sure, but GTA 5 also ran on PS3/X360 with identical gameplay. The Switch compares much more favorably to those consoles. The graphics are the only things that changed between last gen and current gen.
Not true. There was significantly less people and traffic in last gen versions of the game. It wasn't simply a visual upgrade, it affected the game play a lot. Riding highways in rush hour traffic on PS4 was a completely different gameplay experience compared to last gen consoles. Rush hour practically didn't exist on last gen. The additional CPU performance of current gen consoles made it possible to recreate a city that felt alive. Last gen port was way too empty. A big trade-off for a game like this.

PS4 traffic density:

The awesome power of 7(?) little AMD Jaguar CPU cores. Heh. Well maybe Nintendo should have gone with one of those 8x Cortex A53 chips. Low-end ARM Mali GPU might not be very appealing however. ;)

4x Cortex A57s has to be more capable than Xenon.......And it fits in your hand too.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say gta V feels like a different game on Ps4 vs. Ps3. Certainly runs smoother though even if it still dips.

In any case the Switch would be able to run the game with more going on and a smoother framerate than Ps3. What would be interesting is seeing the game run on Wii U with its weaker cpu but better gpu... would it be as bad as watch dogs Wii U I wonder.

I wouldn't say gta V feels like a different game on Ps4 vs. Ps3. Certainly runs smoother though even if it still dips.

In any case the Switch would be able to run the game with more going on and a smoother framerate than Ps3. What would be interesting is seeing the game run on Wii U with its weaker cpu but better gpu... would it be as bad as watch dogs Wii U I wonder.

Way more interested in seeing the switch run such a complex game, and how the CPU handles considering what sebbi is saying . wii u GPU seems to be par with 360, and cpu seems weaker based on the results. we've had plenty of open world games on wii u, anything that looks complex seems not to run well, even nintendo own effort like zelda runs like crap on wii u.

PS4 Xbox One level.

My question was: Is 32 Gflops CPU enough to run all gameplay stuff of current games?

Ok, you are right. Let me say it a little different. Yes, there is s lot more cars and people in GTA 5 than in GTA SA, but I by higher level a mean people should behave more realistic, do much more different things, cars drive more complex etc. We have more things happening on screen , but not so much more complex things.
this is a massive improvement in simulation quality,

Way more interested in seeing the switch run such a complex game, and how the CPU handles considering what sebbi is saying . wii u GPU seems to be par with 360, and cpu seems weaker based on the results. we've had plenty of open world games on wii u, anything that looks complex seems not to run well, even nintendo own effort like zelda runs like crap on wii u.
They're not on par. 360 doesn't have a deferred rendered game at 60fps, certainly not with the LOD Mk8 has. Latte is a DX10 gpu a few generations newer than Xenos with more than 3x the edram. Not a popular thing to say in this supposedly objective forum but it's true.

The Espresso cpu is pretty shitty though.

Edit : Switch probably won't get any rockstar games or any open world gta style games for that matter so we'll probably never know how GTA V would fare compared to the next gen versions.

Last edited:
They're not on par. 360 doesn't have a deferred rendered game at 60fps, certainly not with the LOD Mk8 has. Latte is a DX10 gpu a few generations newer than Xenos with more than 3x the edram. Not a popular thing to say in this supposedly objective forum but it's true.

The Espresso cpu is pretty shitty though.

Edit : Switch probably won't get any rockstar games or any open world gta style games for that matter so we'll probably never know how GTA V would fare compared to the next gen versions.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/wiiu-graphical-comparisons-spawn.60229/ take look at this thread.

I repeat we've had so many open world aaa games ported to switch, and none of the results were good, same or downgraded graphics, with worse frame rate. The GPU had 4 years not a single port showed a tangible difference.

this is a massive improvement in simulation quality,

There were improvements, but they werent all around. Character physics and behaviour was precesely an area many fans noted to have been scaled back on. The video itself show many of the shortcomings of V compared to IV.

EDIT: My comments were tegarding the changes from GTAIV to V, both 7th gen titles. Only now I realized you were talking about GTA SA, so yeah, that transition saw pretty much improvements all around.

Last edited:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/wiiu-graphical-comparisons-spawn.60229/ take look at this thread.

I repeat we've had so many open world aaa games ported to switch, and none of the results were good, same or downgraded graphics, with worse frame rate. The GPU had 4 years not a single port showed a tangible difference.
All engines were optimized for 360/ps3 for 6-7 years. The open world games clearly came down to the weaker cpu. Xenoblade X had impressive visuals and ran at a stable 30, but also didn't have the physics/complexity of GTA.

Also I find it funny the thread was locked. Seems Sebbi said the same thing I did.

All engines were optimized for 360/ps3 for 6-7 years. The open world games clearly came down to the weaker cpu. Xenoblade X had impressive visuals and ran at a stable 30, but also didn't have the physics/complexity of GTA.

Also I find it funny the thread was locked.

Yea but the gpu in 4 years didn't show any real tangible upgrades in any ports, some games even ran lower resolution, or had worse graphics. i didn't think xenoblade was anything technically impressive, only thing impressive was it ran at a solid 30fps, and being open world.

Last edited:
yea but the gpu in 4 years didn't show any real tangible upgrades in any ports, some games even ran lower resolution, or had worse graphics. i didn't think xenoblade was anything technically impressive, only thing impressive was it ran at a solid 30fps, and being open world.
Yeah but imma ignore what the games were optimized for lol.

A solid 30fps is more than can be said for the 7th gen versions of GTA. It also was a much bigger world.

Bottom line Wii U was a better machine for graphics, the HD twins for game complexity.

At the very least, I think its fair to assume that the Switch could run GTA V 360/PS3 level simulation with some improvements to the visuals. Potentially on par with 360/PS3 in portable mode, but with a more stable framerate. In docked mode I could see a bump to 1080p being possible if they stick with similar settings to 360/PS3.

So MineCraft gets a bump to a native 1080p docked, and they must have moved to a triple buffer setup. The framerate doesn't seem to have a taken a hit, and when its below 60fps it does seem to be more stable thanks to triple buffering. This is a pretty massive upgrade, and it makes me think Microsoft/Mojang is willing to make a real effort for the Switch build. They could have just stuck with 720p and called it a day, but they went the extra mile and improved an already acceptable build of the game. Minecraft has been near the top of the eshop since it released, so their efforts have certainly been rewarded with good sales.

LEGO City Undercover, I guess?

Haven't played one in a long time. Last time I played one (years ago) they were just large levels and not open world. Have they changed their gameplay formula?

Either way, there haven been many released. Upcoming Mario is open world, but that's not a port AFAIK.

Regards,
SB

Haven't played one in a long time. Last time I played one (years ago) they were just large levels and not open world. Have they changed their gameplay formula?

Either way, there haven been many released. Upcoming Mario is open world, but that's not a port AFAIK.

Regards,
SB
LEGO Batman 2 has an open-world component, but my impression was that they took it even further with LEGO City (GTA of LEGO). It was only recently ported to consoles other than WiiU, so I don't know exactly.

Really? Zelda and...? Skyrim is eventually coming, but isn't out yet, so that doesn't count.

Zelda runs better on the Switch than the original platform. Skyrim we have no idea.

Regards,
SB
I believe that was a typo and he meant WiiU from the post context.

EDIT - Ignore, he answered you that already...

Back