"Nintendo Sees 50 Million GameCube Sales by 2005"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEXAN

Regular
Here's Iwata's Gamecube sales predictions from 2002-

http://www.gamersmark.com/news/2002/06/1/1497/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nintendo Sees 50 Million GameCube Sales by 2005

Japanese video game giant Nintendo Co Ltd said on Thursday it aimed to sell 50 million of its GameCube game consoles globally by March 2005.

It still has a long way to go, however, to catch Sony Corp (news - web sites)’s PlayStation 2 (news - web sites), the dominant home video game platform worldwide with more than 30 million units shipped since its debut in March 2000.

Nintendo launched the GameCube last September and has set a shipment target of 12 million units for the business year that started in April, compared with Sony’s target of 20 million PlayStation 2s.

President Satoru Iwata reiterated Nintendo’s strategy of appealing to consumers with innovative games, rather than trying to build ambitious entertainment platforms like Sony’s PlayStation 2 and Microsoft Corp’s Xbox (news - web sites).

"We’re reaching the limits of how far we can appeal to consumers by boosting the machines’ performance or providing more compelling graphics and sound," Iwata told an analysts’ meeting.

"For the past few years we’ve been looking for new ways to surprise people, new ways for them to have fun."

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft all announced hefty price cuts last month for their cutting-edge consoles, aiming to expand their customer base as they jostle for the fat profits to be earned from software sales.

Iwata expressed concern, however, that the price-cutting fever in hardware may spread to software, where it could do severe damage to game makers’ bottom lines.

"We have a sense of crisis, that price cuts in software could destroy the game industry," he said.

He also defended the company’s policy of maintaining a huge hoard of cash rather than investing it in new businesses or elsewhere.

"We have 900 billion yen ($7.25 billion) but one of our rivals, Microsoft, has five trillion yen," he said.

"This is a high-risk business...There may come a time when we would have to make intensive investments."

Nintendo’s shares ended 0.58 percent lower at 17,100 yen on Thursday, in line with a 0.76 percent drop in the benchmark Nikkei average <.N225>.

They fell as far as 16,710 yen in the afternoon, their lowest since last September, and have shed more than a quarter of their value since the start of the year, due in part to worries about price competition. ($1=124.15 Yen)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are WAY off target, as they have only shipped 18m.

<T***y>

Llies, all lies! Everything is going according to plan, or even better then expected! Pika-Pika!

</T***y>

Yeah they only have to sell 2 and a half times more than they have so far. If they make a another price cut to say $39.99 per Gamecube with a free copy of RE4 then they could probably get there.

Quincy

I agree that what really matters is how well a system does not how well it does compared to what the company wanted. I wasn't being all that serious in my comment.

What was M$ prediction?

I think they originally said 100 million XBox's with losses of only $1 billion.

I'll have a look later, I just remember it being said quite a few times here. The 100 million part might be nonsesne :) But I remember you saying the 1 billion part.. did you not say that?

Sega wanted to sell 35 million Dreamcasts.

If they hadn't pulled the plug because of running out of cash, they would of easily have achieved that figure by now.

Probably even 50-60 million because those things would have been going for very cheap around 2003-2005. Around the $40-$70 mark.

100 million quote was indeed made in an interview with some Xbox exec (Ed Fries or that other guy who left, I'm not sure) but it was kinda like a joking comment. More like "It would be really cool if we sell 100M Xboxes, sure why not" than any kind of official press release.

As for the Gamecube, it's undoubtedly in a pretty sorry state right now. If you look at the release list at EB website, you will see that PS2 and XBox have close to 20 games each coming out in April, and Cube has exactly one (and a crappy one at that).

As for the Gamecube, it's undoubtedly at a pretty sorry state right now. If you look at the release list at EB website, you will see that PS2 and XBox have close to 20 games each coming out in April, and Cube has exactly one (and a crappy one at that).

True... I saw that myself as well. The 3rd party support has really dried up for the cube. The only titles to look forward to are nintendo's, but for the most part that was the problem on GC and the n64, so...

The question that we should be asking then is why is Nintendo even bothering with the Revolution? Why are they even bothering with another console?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back