Nintendo GOing Forward.

I imagine Nintendo could even sell accessory controllers that dock with the phones and so on to work with their games, if they wanted to.

Mobile games business is all about user acquisition.

Right now IAP is so dominate that the only way to make money is to create some carrot on a stick F2P game (within a few established genres) and spend tens of thousands a day on UA. Like I said previously, consumer confidence for premium game software is low, F2P is almost 100% expected from consumers because of the sheer amount of garbage. Its a totally different animal.

I don't even know where to start to knock some sense into people who think controller add-ons are going to do jack shit.

Look... Mobile throwaway hardware exists to be general mobile content consumption devices. It doesn't make sense to add cost just to include features to make them into better gaming devices never mind any kind of universal adoption of a standard for gaming input.

Is the mobile market being so vast not diverse enough to support a niche of users who would value premium games over the garbage that's currently available? Why is the consumer confidence for premium game software low? Is it because there's a dearth of premium games on the market?

I think Nintendo games would be a great fit for the mobile market and if they went the F2P route it would be disastrous. I see little reason why they wouldn't be able to carve themselves up a sizable niche in the mobile space. What exactly is it going to cost them to acquire users? Maybe it will cost the development of a game or three to test the waters. They could release a game with one of their main franchises to attract people's attention. If it ends up being good then it could attract a few million in sales. I don't see this as being unachievable given the sheer vastness of the mobile market. If it was Pokemon and good then it would sell millions.

Have to get my patent rant out the way first...
1. A method for providing three-dimensional (3D) display on a display device, the method comprising: tracking the position and/or orientation of at least a part of a user; using a computer processor, determining a viewpoint relative to the display device based at least in part on said tracking; the computer processor using said determined viewpoint relative to the display device and at least one 3D virtual object modeled using real world coordinates to at least in part define the projection of the at least one 3D virtual object, including changing the viewing frustum for the projection of said at least one 3D virtual object in response to said tracking to introduce parallax for viewing the at least one 3D virtual object; and rendering for display, on said display device, said at least one 3D virtual object.
WTF?! What a load of bollocks. Not only for patent-speak madness, but the fact that they are claiming 'tracking a part of a person and updating the screen accordingly' when this dude showcased exactly that with Wii in 2007. It's effin ridiculous that this patent be allowed.

Patent said:
Some Non-Limiting Tracking Options

Camera Based Tracking

[0022] Marker on Head, Camera on TV

[0023] Visible Light Band Camera [0024] Face Detection software determine location of the head and extrapolate the position of the eyes [0025] To improve detection, increase signal-to-noise ratio by wearing a marker

[0026] IR Camera [0027] Infrared spectrum enhanced detect by ignoring all visible spectrum image. [0028] Infrared emitter (IR LED) illuminate the scene with retroreflector markers. [0029] IR emitter can be worn directly as markers providing high signal/noise ratio.

[0030] Wide Field of View [0031] Enable larger viewpoint tracking range and result in freedom of user motion. Typical image camera is <50 degrees FOV. It is desirable to achieve 110 degree horizontal and 70 degree vertical field of view.
FFS! What has the industry been doing for years?!! As if head-tracking based cameras aren't already a Real Thing. It's a completely arbitrary patent with zero technological basis. There is no emoticon of sufficient vehemence to reflect my true reaction to this.

Putting that to one side, it appears that they aren't patenting a solution for eye-tracking, and so it's difficult to say what they're intentions are. Similar already exists on iPad here.
Without a differentiating technology, I don't see how they could defend any USP. About all it shows is they aren't chasing VR at the moment, I guess.

One thing I was just thinking of: If Nintendo were to stick with a PPC750 variant in their next console/handheld would that not limit them to 4GB of RAM due to 32-bit address space limits?

One thing I was just thinking of: If Nintendo were to stick with a PPC750 variant in their next console/handheld would that not limit them to 4GB of RAM due to 32-bit address space limits?

Hrm, does PPC750 have any sort of PAE ? That would be it's own hell and don't think the developers would like that.

Hrm, does PPC750 have any sort of PAE ? That would be it's own hell and don't think the developers would like that.

Not that I know of. Since Nintendo seem hellbent on having their next console "absorb the Wii U architecture," some tinkering with the MMU might be in order. That is if they have any hope of getting PS4/Xbox One ports. If they go with less, they will be falling even farther behind than they did with Wii, which at least had more RAM than the previous generations RAM champ, Xbox. Furthermore, I do not see how they plan on carrying the architecture into the future, as Iwata indicated, without some major customizations. Perhaps they can throw AltiVec on there while they're messing with stuff.

On the plus side, Takeda has indicated a gradual shift to a more standard IDE, which I'm assuming means better Visual Studio support. We'll see how it goes...

Trading up to 64-bit CPU shouldn't be too big a deal, normally, if Nintendo hadn't been Nintendo. There's the issue with the dual-issue FPU instructions added to gekko, which has carried over to every subsequent console... Right there's the problem with hanging on to obsolete old hardware for too long!

Here is some interesting quotes from AMD.
Another area of interest for semi-custom is handheld gaming, believe it or not. “Everyone thinks it is dead, but the [Nintendo] 3DS is still selling.”
But it is not worth doing a project, even with the customer subsidizing some up-front expense, if it won’t be likely to produce a winning product that ships in decent volume.
“Has to be at least $100 million annual revenue for us to go for it,” says Moshkelani. That’s a minimum, he explains, not a target. In fact, the company has already said it expects to secure two more design wins ranging from $250 million to half a billion in value, “that are already in the pipeline.” The $100 million is a “floor,” if you will, that any potential deal has to rise above.
Perhaps one of these design wins will be for the next generation of Nintendo hardware.
An APU consisting of ARM CPU + GCN2.0 GPU? I'll stop my speculating here otherwise it will go out of control. :oops:

Bonus info:
“Shield hasn’t sold,” he snaps, smiling. “They have those Shield units all in inventory.”
Also recently I read a rumour saying shield 2 will be revealed on 22nd July.

edit - beaten by Wynix

I think that AMD is perfect choice for future Nintendo hardware, with great ability to craft any type of APU [ARM+Radeon, or even maybe X86+Radeon, all possible power envelopes]. Nintendo wanted to create ecosystem where game porting between home and portables will be easier. They cant do that while their home consoles are still running on ancient PowerPC.

Surely AMD would want a platform that can help get them into handsets? So an AMD ARM+whatever for handheld console would represent a good venture for AMD a a precursor to getting into phones/tablets, unlike nVidia who's trying to go it alone and hasn't enough clout in the handheld space to make anything of their hardware.

That said, I still don't see people buying a new Nintendo handheld these days. 3DS can do it for library and cheapness, but a new full-price handheld when the handheld market is shrinking seems quite the gamble. Going by Wiki sales, sales of 3DS have been declining YoY since launch (figures in millions):

Y1 15.03
Y2 14.81
Y3 12.9

And if we compare Y4's first Q sales against other years...

Y1 1.23
Y2 2.1
Y3 1.25
Y4 0.59

That's including things like the 2DS. Given the price reduction of 3DS so early, it looks like $170 is about the limit for whatever hardware they might choose.

Actually, I think a Nintendo mobile phone/game device might actually be their best option. Include Android so the Japanese can play all their click-fest games, and an SD card for Nintendo games. One could argue that allowing access to Android undermines Nintendo's sales of software, but surely it's better to have people use those games on a Nintendo handset and add the occasional Nintendo game rather than play an Android phone and not both with a Nintendo at all.

They need something to either complement or substitute the mobile if they want to remain in hardware.

Nintendo's next handheld powered by semi-custom AMD graphics, rather than another PICA GPU from DMP?

Fully programmable shaders this time?

Dunno exactly what AMD & Nintendo are cookin', but sure smells good :D

on their roadmap, Nintendo says that they will unify the handheld and home console design to make games easily available on both of them.

so if they change to AMD for both, this will be the 1st time nintendo dropping full/partial hardware BC together on both home and portable.

on their roadmap, Nintendo says that they will unify the handheld and home console design to make games easily available on both of them.

so if they change to AMD for both, this will be the 1st time nintendo dropping full/partial hardware BC together on both home and portable.

Nintendo already used emulation: for the virtual console.
Changing to AMD/x86 would still leave a possibility for near perfect Wii/Wii-U emulation, as even hobbyist developed Wii emulators run with about full compatibility, on pretty standard hardware. Nintendo can 1up them probably :) Only problem could be the Wii-U as it's basically 3 Wii processors taped together, running at a higher clock speed.

Well, AMD can always create APUs that have BC modules inside of them if Nintendo requests it. For example, 3DS successor can have 3DS GPU embedded on the chip.

Nintendo already used emulation: for the virtual console.
Changing to AMD/x86 would still leave a possibility for near perfect Wii/Wii-U emulation, as even hobbyist developed Wii emulators run with about full compatibility, on pretty standard hardware. Nintendo can 1up them probably :) Only problem could be the Wii-U as it's basically 3 Wii processors taped together, running at a higher clock speed.

I don't think emulation of the Wii U's CPU will be that easy. AFAIK, Dolphin requires a CPU with pretty high single-threaded performance. For Espresso, the requirements would be even higher, and I doubt that (if Nintendo do switch from PPC) the CPU core they choose will be that capable. Also, do not downplay the work of the Dolphin project community. They've done an amazing job whereas Nintendo's internal emulation team cannot even seem to get Star Fox or Yoshi's Island SNES running on VC.

Thinking more about it, I don't think traditional BC is a worthy endeavor for Nintendo's next home console. They would either have to include a Gamepad or require users to purchase it separately (or the handheld if they went that route). Any way you slice it, you're reducing the amount of users who benefit from such a costly feature. A better idea would just get VC games to carry over and perhaps tweak and recompile some of the Wii U software (there won't be much - let's face it) to run on the different architecture. Offer the Wii U games as downloads and for a small upgrade fee (or better yet, free) if you already own the game on Wii U.

Thinking more about it, I don't think traditional BC is a worthy endeavor for Nintendo's next home console. They would either have to include a Gamepad or require users to purchase it separately (or the handheld if they went that route). Any way you slice it, you're reducing the amount of users who benefit from such a costly feature.
Unless, of course they sell a home console that's a kind of hub and steroid boost for a 3DS successor, in which case you'd have everything required anyway...

A better idea would just get VC games to carry over and perhaps tweak and recompile some of the Wii U software (there won't be much - let's face it) to run on the different architecture. Offer the Wii U games as downloads and for a small upgrade fee (or better yet, free) if you already own the game on Wii U.

I agree about that, your licence should carry on, you bought the title you should be able to benefit from it whichever machine you run it on, like a PC game...
Benefits for end-users would be huge, plenty of back catalog to play with if games dry up at any period, a lot of different kind of games... Huge benefit.

(I like to play Chrono Trigger for exemple, it's a great game and I find it better than many "modern" games...)

I think I'd love a HUB like home console streaming HQ frames to my handheld pad, and I could either play a different version of the game on the go, or the same (with lower image quality)... (And the other way around, play handheld games HQ on the HUB, the whole idea being to broaden the genres available. I loved to play Minish Cap almost as much as I loved playing Ocarina of Time...)

(And a modern Handheld could have a High Quality 720p 3D screen.)
We are quite close to that setup on the Wii U already...

Back