Nintendo Conference

Looks like I will be skipping Nintendo's offering.

My PC build later this year will last me until the 360/PS3 replacements come out. Nintendo is aiming to be on par with a console in it's 6th year. Embarrassing.

It looks like it'll be much more powerful than the PS360. If it is running BF3 at PC settings then it might be equal to a high end PC, especially considering that game is a port. The PS3 and 360 were also about equal in power to high end PC's of their period.

According to the press release: "Each Wii U console will be partnered with a new controller and can also use up to four additional Wii Remote™ or Wii Remote Plus controllers."

Based on this I'd say that you can only connect one new controller (UMote?). Additional players use the existing controllers.

Yap, sounds like it.

But with this platform, they can "plug" their portables into this system in the future.

Not what I was expecting.
They should have shown some first party games for the Wii U (the name... seriously?) because at the moment I have no idea what to look forward to.

Dude, what an ugly controller >_> !

WHoa, the console looks too tiny to be more powerful than PS3/360 !!!!

So all you guys still want to bet me it's RV770 in that thing? :LOL:

No chance, RV730 just like I said if you're LUCKY.

My PC build later this year will last me until the 360/PS3 replacements come out. Nintendo is aiming to be on par with a console in it's 6th year. Embarrassing.

I think these comments were in the pocket well before the Nintendo presentation, and would be thrown out regardless of what Nintendo showed...

I'm most interested in the online functionality after the comments from EA:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-07-ea-pledges-allegiance-to-wii-u

"Imagine those games with an open online functionality." Riccitiello went on to add that Wii U had "deeper online functionality"

For me, gaming is really about online and social play now. That was the biggest problem with the Wii and the PS3, for me. If Nintendo comes out with a solid online system that's free and allows devs to be creative, then I could be tempted to wade into the Wii U waters.

SCNR
d17e5df56ac583761bdd88f2adf23f3b.png

the one tech demo with the bird was barely impressive from what i saw. The following game reels could have been from 360/PS3 and you wouldn't be able to tell...

This lens-flare ps2 tech was so awful ;\

ToTTenTranz said:
the bird pond demo was something a lot better than anything I've seen for X360 or PS3.
No, it wasnt. Only dof impressed me and some shaders on fish, rest wasnt as spectacular. Crysis 2/KZ 3 have some spectacular real-time cutscenes that match this tech demo easily.

....can't Sony do the same thing with PSV and PS3? Sony is going to copy-cat-it, easily.
Yes they can, they already have similar tech working on PSP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQCD8RAaANQ

I think these comments were in the pocket well before the Nintendo presentation, and would be thrown out regardless of what Nintendo showed...

U misjudged me dude ! I had no idea what was to be shown ! I just saw and commented. Lets leave it at that !

I am still not convinced that that controller's other gimmicks are worthwhile! To me the only good thing was that I can continue the game on the controller screen itself, but then I am guessing we'll have to have the console ON, and the controller just recieves the video feed. That means no real mobility of games, just that one can play without disturbing others. Kindof an OKAY feature, not a deal breaker for my lifestyle.
Everything else seems tacked on anyways.

That assumption is yes.

This lens-flare ps2 tech was so awful ;\

Practically all the alpha textures were shimmering along with the shadows cast from trees onto the ground. The bird's shadow was fine (well, you'd hope so, given it's the focus). DOF was nothing too special, same with the water shader. They're run of the mill effects. The fish at the end might have been the only thing that impressed me for the 0.25 seconds of screen time it got.

Not at all. I wanted to see amazing looking Wii2 games. I'm a big graphics whore at heart. Sony and MS's conferences mostly sucked so I was hoping for Nintendo to save E3 with something new and exciting.

That would have also had the side effect of putting strong pressure on Sony/MS to hurry next gen, which would have been exciting, which unfortunately now there is not.

The lack of detailed specs is odd. I wonder if this was a preventative measure against a possible surprise reveal by MS or Sony (more likely MS) of THEIR next home console. It would have taken quite a bit of the wind out of their sales if the day before they launch their system a system with better specs set to launch during the same launch window got announced. If that had happened, sticking to revealing the things they knew would differentiate the system would prevent spec wars from dominating the early discussion.

Nintendo not releasing specs is expected. They take the same tack as Apple, specs are irrelevant only the overall experience matters.

Of course they could have given us more than they did, and they did not really show any game footage per se.

Correct me if I'm wrong. The controllers/pads are not 3D displays and the console itself had no mention of 3D output? (This isn't something I truly care about, just curious.)

I am a little confused. It can play 2 games at once? 1 on the pad/controller and 1 on the tv screen? Can it be a different game? I'm having a hard time believing they can run 2 copies of Metro side by side at the same time.

Back