Nintendo announce: Nintendo NX

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also fit better with the delay from Holiday 2016 to Spring 2017, as all console deals with Nvidia have been problematic in at least multiple ways.
I don't dispute your other points (other than note that they're indeed circumstantial :)), but this is bunk logic. NV hasn't been in a console for ten years, and they have only ever been involved in two. Unrelated past events do not influence future ones in this manner. If they did, then every new GPU from NV post-2003ish would be another NV30... ;)

CDProject Developer talking good things about the NX:

http://www.nintengen.com/2016/06/cd-projekt-red-nx-will-be-fantastic.html?m=1

Host: What do you know about NX?
Fabian: It will be fantastic. As developer [CD Projekt] you get access to the hardware and everybody [at CD Projekt] is looking forward. We know things.

Host: Sometimes I cannot tell if you are telling the truth or not.
Fabian: No, no! It was like this in the past as the Wii prototypes came in, back then called “Revolution”. It was so funny that in Japan they were all very excited at the developer studios of SEGA, they thought it was very good. The Europeans took a little longer. Like “Well, maybe this doesn’t work”, you know, because it was technically just a GameCube. It was not much more. But NX what you hear [of the developers] about NX is all very positive.

Host: But the hardware will be much worse than the new Xbox.
Fabian: I think this will never again be the main emphasis in the future [for Nintendo]. Can it [NX] be better than the new Xbox? Take a realistic point of view: is Nintendo able to build a console that has got more power than Xbox?
Host: In theory it is possible.
Fabian: Affordable? Do they have the contacts to the industrial facilities, resources… [Shakes head several times in denial] And what would be the positive outcome? Who is going to develop games for it?

Not sure if the "new xbox" refers to Scorpio. This is a post-E3 interview (June 17), so my guess is they're talking about Scorpio and not the original Xbone which can't really be considered "new".

http://finance.yahoo.com/video/nintendo-positioning-itself-virtual-reality-233025367.html
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...ms-that-vr-isnt-ready-for-mainstream-adoption

Reggie Fils-Aime said:
In my judgment, I think VR is a bit further out there for mainstream, mass market applications and applications that consumers can invest a lot of time in versus short snacks of entertainment
(...)
“For us, we want to make sure that technology is mainstream,” Fils-Aime continued. “We want to make sure the technology represents strong value to the consumer… So the way we look at VR or even AR… for us the technology has to be at a point where it can be mainstream, and then it takes content creating companies like us to really make things that the consumer wants to experience, that they want to jump into the particular technology.

Perhaps we can now put to rest the rumors about the NX being delayed in order to add VR capabilities into the console.

But wasn't the adding of VR directly taken from a Nintendo statement? Or was it from some NintendoFan website?

Taken from the following post: https://forum.beyond3d.com/index.php?posts/1918675 that quoted a DigiTimes website on the following:

The sources pointed out that the Nintendo NX combines the video gaming experience with the mobile gaming experience. The device features a 5- to 7-inch display, controller and joystick for users to play as a mobile gaming product, but it is also able to connect to a TV for users to play as a video game system. Nintendo is now planning to add VR function to the device to satisfy the popular trend in the gaming market.

Nintendo's order volume for the game console has also been reduced. Nintendo originally planned to order 20 million units for the first year, but its shipment target is now only 9.5-10 million units. The sources believe the reduction was due to the fact that video game console market has been shrinking and concerns triggered by its Wii U's unsatisfactory shipment performance of two million units in 2015.[/quote]

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html

Last edited:
The sources believe the reduction was due to the fact that video game console market has been shrinking and concerns triggered by its Wii U's unsatisfactory shipment performance of two million units in 2015.

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20160530PD201.html

Tangent:

I continue to marvel at the idea that any form of gaming is shrinking or dying. Just from the 3rd gen of consoles, the rough and dirty sales figure are 77m, 91m, 147m, 211m, 270m and 73m for the current gen less than 3 years after launch with the PS4 selling faster than the PS2. Something I don't think any of us thought was likely.

In this age of the "iterative console" sprouting up I had to wonder if Nintendo can become appealing again? Make one box, stick to it for a few years...refreshingly old school?

Unfortunately I think the power bully is always just too strong :(

In this age of the "iterative console" sprouting up I had to wonder if Nintendo can become appealing again? Make one box, stick to it for a few years...refreshingly old school?

Unfortunately I think the power bully is always just too strong :(
Well Nintendo couldn't even compete when MS and Sony stuck with the same hardware for 8 years. Now that looks to be cut in half with only 4 year old hardware, thats twice as troublesome for Nintendo if they insist on making their own hardware platforms.

Plenty figure they could make more by going multiplatform. They would have a potential market of at least 65 million consoles instead of the 10 million WiiU market.

How many of those Wuus are even used today? There's almost no games coming out for the platform, what's the chance most, or even almost all of them are just sitting there, collecting dust?

I don't have my wuu anymore (I junked it) and I'm not buying any more Nintendo shit until they get their act together and implement a proper unified platform account for purchasing software. I bought a bunch of virtual console stuff for wii, found out I had to re-purchase again for wuu. Whattafuck.

NOT GOING TO DO THAT! EVER!

So screw Nintendo until they fix this.

You don't really have to repurchase vc titles on Wiiu if you do a wii system transfer. There's a $1-2 fee to upgrade to the Wiiu vc version of games you have. Or you can play them in the virtual wii mode for free.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo...how-to-transfer-content-from-a-wii-to-a-wii-u

wat
  • If both systems are not connected to a television, you will need to switch the television connection between systems in order to complete a system transfer.
  • (B) Plug the standard AV cable that came with your Wii console into a TV and swap the cable between the two systems during the transfer process. (Swap the cables at the same time you are swapping the SD card.)

The process seems utterly fucked:
It IS utterly fucked. It is more than utterly fucked. I had to go through it twice, because as I was nearing the end of it the first time it decided a 512MB card wasn't big enough, despite it said I'd need a card at least 512MB in size (and let me start the process with a card that size), as well as me not having filled my wii's onboard memory anyhow.

Then when I restarted with a bigger card, it crashed once as well.

Calling it "utterly fucked" isn't close to the level of insanity it reaches to. It's so fucked nothing fuckeder ever existed in the history of console gaming.

@Reznor007 I call it "repurchasing" if I have to pay money again for something I already paid money for.

You don't pay more money to Steam after buying a new PC; you just re-download your already paid for purchases one more time. Besides, Nintendo didn't even offer all of the wii virtual console games for wuu last I checked, and I don't know if they ever re-released them all.

Booting into wii mode is an irritating annoyance, especially as wii mode did not support pro controller OR the wuublet last I used virtual console. IIRC they added wuublet support, but I don't know if they ever added pro controller support as well.

Also, wii mode runs in SD resolution, giving for a very blurry image on modern big flatscreen TVs, making games look absolute shit.

Nintendo can go fuck itself. They're completely out of touch.

That's why when the rumor was Nintendo working with EA for Wii I was glad. Because I know Nintendo is shitty with software and the whole Internet thing.

The whole digital games locked to your hardware also super annoying.

Sure they now have Nintendo ID but it's still a really archaic system.

Agh now you guys makes me worried with NX...

Even sony can't do software right (. How can Nintendo with bad history with software do anything better with NX...

Well Nintendo couldn't even compete when MS and Sony stuck with the same hardware for 8 years. Now that looks to be cut in half with only 4 year old hardware, thats twice as troublesome for Nintendo if they insist on making their own hardware platforms.

Plenty figure they could make more by going multiplatform. They would have a potential market of at least 65 million consoles instead of the 10 million WiiU market.
There are benefits to being a platform holder, provided the volumes aren't too small.
Nintendo has been quite clear that their contingency plan is not the other 65 million consoles, but the 2 billion smartphone users. Which makes one hell of a lot more sense, given that the mobile gaming market is not only the largest, but is still growing both in numbers and more importantly and faster still, in revenue.

It makes sense for them to try to come up with an attractive dedicated gaming platform, that can hopefully recruit users outside the core console market. If they succeed, it will benefit the console market as a whole. If Nintendo leaves the console market, it will be weakened by their absence, and mobile will be strengthened further by their presence.

There are benefits to being a platform holder, provided the volumes aren't too small.
Nintendo has been quite clear that their contingency plan is not the other 65 million consoles, but the 2 billion smartphone users. Which makes one hell of a lot more sense, given that the mobile gaming market is not only the largest, but is still growing both in numbers and more importantly and faster still, in revenue.
they have made nothing clear, they decided not to leave the mobile market alone, they do not plan on leaving the console hardware side of thing so why would they announce any ports of their competitors systems or what they would do "if"? You are bending their actions into someting that fit your opinion, the truth is mobile have not received yet Nintendo main games, in the future? We don't know as for ignoring any possible market may they move to simply being publishers it is every bit as unknown.
It makes sense for them to try to come up with an attractive dedicated gaming platform, that can hopefully recruit users outside the core console market. If they succeed, it will benefit the console market as a whole. If Nintendo leaves the console market, it will be weakened by their absence, and mobile will be strengthened further by their presence.
I agree Nintendo still has incentives to create a hardware, now what a lots of sensible persons wants is not them to go head to head with Sony and MSFT but to go back "good" hardware (within their performances target.
The argument about mobile, is unsubstantiated for now, they are a minor actor in the field, off the radar anytime I open Google Playstore. It is also a little non-sensical is mobile a good target for the last Zelda, or some other games for which micro-transactions won't apply naturally? I think not; Then there is the size and the amount of content which does not work either.

Well, they have been rather clear in their investor conference calls.
At present they are still working the console angle, and it seems that rhey as a company prefer the level of control and independence that allows them. However it is equally clear that they have projects ongoing for mobile and is building infrastructure there. So where will they put their eggs if the console basket won't hold them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back