Nintendo 3DS business future *spawn

Tell that to the people who bought a Game Gear, a Virtual Boy, a Zodiac, a Gizmondo or a GP32.
Or Gameboy Color, which was replaced by Gameboy Advance 2 years after its release.

Funny you should bring up these systems. Most of them were destroyed by graphically inferior machines. The GameGear lost to a Black and White machine. The GBC is actually an extension of the GB line and the GBC lasted 3 years with massive support and tons of games.

"Never ever"?
Well, good luck with the 13th century mentality. Doesn't really fit with 2011 but hey, I respect your decision nonetheless.
I'll just go with the flow, whatever that'll be.

Why is it so hard to believe. Cell phones make crappy gaming systems. 1) there are no dedicated controls and will likely never be as we are moving away from hardware keyboards and buttons on the front of the phone

2) Even a gba level game like game dev on my samsung moment kills my battery. I need my phone and i can't charge it every 2 hours cause i'm playing a game. A portable gaming system is its own dedicated battery and my dsi gives me 7 hours of play that doesn't affect my cell phone in the least.

3) On my dedictaed handheld i don't need to worry about apps running in the back that i didn't close, i don't have to worry about 40 new phones coming out over the next year and if my phone will run the games on it , I don't have to worry about anything. Its a game system and it lasts for 5 years or more.

My samsung moment wont play angry birds , it runs like a slide show on it and takes minutes to load. Not only that but the moment is a little more than a year old and wont be getting more andriod updates , i'm stuck at 2.1 . Even with the iphone market you get a newer better one each year. Until this changes and battery life lasts into the days while playing games , i don't see dedicated hand helds going anywhere.

Why is it so hard to believe. Cell phones make crappy gaming systems. 1) there are no dedicated controls and will likely never be as we are moving away from hardware keyboards and buttons on the front of the phone

2) Even a gba level game like game dev on my samsung moment kills my battery. I need my phone and i can't charge it every 2 hours cause i'm playing a game. A portable gaming system is its own dedicated battery and my dsi gives me 7 hours of play that doesn't affect my cell phone in the least.

3) On my dedictaed handheld i don't need to worry about apps running in the back that i didn't close, i don't have to worry about 40 new phones coming out over the next year and if my phone will run the games on it , I don't have to worry about anything. Its a game system and it lasts for 5 years or more.

My samsung moment wont play angry birds , it runs like a slide show on it and takes minutes to load. Not only that but the moment is a little more than a year old and wont be getting more andriod updates , i'm stuck at 2.1 . Even with the iphone market you get a newer better one each year. Until this changes and battery life lasts into the days while playing games , i don't see dedicated hand helds going anywhere.

Hey look, another "never ever" person.

Yay.

Hey look, another "never ever" person.

Yay.

Maybe you need to explain to use why you think otherwise? The people who don't agree with you all come up with valid arguments and facts as to why they don't see phones to be a thread to handheld gaming (atleast not in the next few years) while all you say is ''I wonder if the 3ds will be graphically strong enough'' and a whole bunch of coulds.

Let's not make this personal, mkay?

Sorry.

Pardon my honesty, but I just think the abundant use of "it's never going to happen" sentences in this thread, given this is a technology-related forum, is just plain ridiculous.

These discussions should contain probabilities, at most, but never radical statements about what the future will or will not be.

Dude, I just made this up in photoshop, just for you:
gsmarena001s.jpg

gsmarena005.jpg

No really, I did!

j/k

Maybe you need to explain to use why you think otherwise? The people who don't agree with you all come up with valid arguments and facts as to why they don't see phones to be a thread to handheld gaming (atleast not in the next few years) while all you say is ''I wonder if the 3ds will be graphically strong enough'' and a whole bunch of coulds.
Not even once I used the term "graphically strong enough", much less as the one and only reason for a possible market failure for the 3DS.
Which proves how much attention you actually paid to my posts, and how much attention I'll pay to yours, from now on.

My point of reasoning is that there's a whole new competition for the 3DS in the mobile gaming market, that simply wasn't there in 2004. I said that two or three times already, yet people still come and repeat over and over that "graphics isn't everything" moto (no sh.. sherlock).

Last edited by a moderator:
My point of reasoning is that there's a whole new competition for the 3DS in the mobile gaming market, that simply wasn't there in 2004. I said that two or three times already, yet people still come and repeat over and over that "graphics isn't everything" moto (no sh.. sherlock).

This is what you said that started this topic.

I'm really not impressed by the 3DS' overal graphic quality, and I fear its way-too-low-ish specs might give it a premature death.

Not to mention the Mobile market was there in 2004. Japan's been doing cell phone games for almost a decade. They are the biggest users of mobile devices.

Sorry.

Pardon my honesty, but I just think the abundant use of "it's never going to happen" sentences in this thread, given this is a technology-related forum, is just plain ridiculous.

These discussions should contain probabilities, at most, but never radical statements about what the future will or will not be.

Dude, I just made this up in photoshop, just for you:
gsmarena001s.jpg

gsmarena005.jpg

No really, I did!

j/k

Not even once I used the term "graphically strong enough", much less as the one and only reason for a possible market failure for the 3DS.
Which proves how much attention you actually paid to my posts, and how much attention I'll pay to yours, from now on.

Yes cause a 5 year old system in a phone is exactly what i want oh and i'm sure it gets great battery life where i can play games and no have to recharge my phone in two hours.

Yes cause a 5 year old system in a phone is exactly what i want oh and i'm sure it gets great battery life where i can play games and no have to recharge my phone in two hours.

5 year old system? Is that what the prototype is?
You seem to know more than everybody else already! Care to elaborate?

ToTTenTranz said:
BTW, 3D screens should become standardized in smartphones as soon as 3D cameras become standardized as well. Do I see this happening in 2012? Totally.

What reason do you have to believe that 3D cameras will become this widespread in just a year? The combo might be on an iPhone, which admittedly would drive a lot of the market, but it not being on iPhone in 2012 would also be enough to keep it from being standardized.

So far we don't have a lot to gauge what interest there's going to be for user created 3D content. 3DS is capable of doing it but there hasn't been much buzz for it. So far 3D is about movies and games. While phones are decent movie platforms that isn't exactly their number one function (I imagine web stuff and apps comes first), and I doubt this is the 3D movie experience people really want to spend substantial money on. And games, while popular, need to have a substantial asset shift to really be impressive in 3D.

IMO, most casually created 3D movies just aren't going to have an awful lot to offer as a must have.. video conferencing in 3D just sounds pointless if not a little disturbing. How much depth do you want to see in a person's face?

Tell that to the people who bought a Game Gear, a Virtual Boy, a Zodiac, a Gizmondo or a GP32.
Or Gameboy Color, which was replaced by Gameboy Advance 2 years after its release.

So change his statement to "Nintendo handheld", which is all that's relevant to the topic. GBC is an abnormal case because it came out after GB was strong for years and was still more of an enhancement than a new console. Personally I think GBC should have never even happened, but that's just me. It's a very good bet that you'll see 3DS games for well after 6 years after launch.

Hum? Do I have to buy a high-end PC to play games every 2 years?
AFAIK, a mid-end PC will let you play any game for 3-4 years, at least. You'll just have to lower the quality settings down.
It happens all the same with many smartphone games right now, in case you didn't know.

But with smartphones most games haven't been pushing graphics - the high end that require OGL ES 2 will certainly not work on any 4 year old phone on the market and will instead require phones released about a year and a half ago at the latest. You won't be able to just lower the quality settings to accommodate this. Given how cheap and aggressive the high end of phones are compared to PCs it makes a lot less sense to target old ones.

The "type of games people will want to play on a smartphone" depends on the available types of games people have available on a smartphone. To assume that smartphone games will "never" go past a "time-wasting" kind of game is like someone in the 70's claiming PONG is the one and only game an arcade will ever have.

Absolutes aren't important, what matters is percentage use. By expecting smartphones to be such a major threat to 3DS you're basically saying that the genres that won't be on the phones - the ones you admit exist - will be ones that not enough people care about. In other words, a similar argument to the one you're dismissing, but on the opposite extreme.

He probably thinks the XPeria (PSP Phone) is actually a PSP with phone hardware added, when it isn't. It's closer to 6 month old phone tech or so. Good (and a lot better than PSP in several ways) but not bleeding edge.

It uses the same cpu as in the Desire HD but exactly why do the specs matter? Facts are gfx don't make or break a handheld gaming device. But given the rumored specs battery life while gaming won't even be 3 hours. I think that will be a much bigger deal breaker than gfx. Especially as this also is your phone.

Facts are gfx don't make or break a handheld gaming device.

Sure they do, at some point. If you don't clarify what threshold you think is necessary then the comment becomes pretty ambiguous.

In the case of a gaming phone released now, not being able to do at least OpenGL ES 2 would be a huge disadvantage. Of course, this one can, as you'd expect. But people will still expect it to deliver at the high end, and I don't think an Adreno 205 will quite be able to do that when all is said and done (but it'll still be fairly good).

One Phone having dedicated controls will be a fancy novelty model, it's not something that's getting "standardized" or some such

Just like Wii wasn't supposed to have snowmans chance in hell against the competition due "last gen or even worse hardware"? I just don't see it being that much different.

While I'm android user myself, Androids problem is the fact that there's so many different configurations starting from CPU speed, RAM size to screen size and resolution etc

The Wii made a lot of headway because it was cheap and somewhat novel. The 3DS really isn't cheaper than effectively free, and the whole 3D hype is way overblown.

More importantly, since when did ios/android games came even close to being competition for handheld games?

Since the beginning when someone said: hey there is this massive market of people that might want to play games and a ready build distribution channel!

Basically ~200 euro handhelds are a totally different market than 400+ smarthphones that you need for even half decent games not counting all the other reasons.

In large parts of the world, the smartphone is CHEAPER than the handheld!

Since the beginning when someone said: hey there is this massive market of people that might want to play games and a ready build distribution channel!

Sure. But how many of those people are willing to spend 40 euros on a game? because your not going to get a full FF, GT, Zelda or Dragon Quest for less than that. Thats the whole point of mobile gaming. Sure some games sell alot for a couple of bucks but it seems very risky to build a full blown game that will rival 3ds/psp(2) games when the facts are games that sell the most are cheap games that do not rival handheld games in terms of content.

It's not like gaming on your mobile will have to kill handheld gaming. Both can exist at the same time. Just like non games on the wii/ds didn't kill core games because they cater to a different audience. Some with phones/handhelds.

In large parts of the world, the smartphone is CHEAPER than the handheld!

Sure, budget smartphones. In the major markets where handhelds are sold (us/jap/eu) a decent smartphone is much more expensive.

There are multiple different iOS games that have sold in high numbers.

DS has 114 games that sold over a million and a total 773million games sold. Suddenly multiple games that sold in high numbers doesnt really sound all that impresive.

tehy have listed its specs , its a normal andriod phone that will play psp games. Why would I want that , battery life will be worse than even the horrible battery life of the psp.

Like i said for those of us who actually use their phones for busniess related things , we need more than 2 hours of battery life .

Ignore it all you want but right now my dsi can be played for 10 hours without a recharge and because of that my phone only needs to be recharged when i go to bed. If i started playing games on my andriod and left my dsi at home then I'd have to charge my phone every 2 hours or so.

I can picture it now "Oh hey boss , I'm sorry i never responded yesterday but its because i played angry birds on my phone and the battery died and I couldn't charge it till i got home at night. But oh man angry birds was fun.... wait what I'm fired ? "

tongue_of_colicab said:
Sure, budget smartphones. In the major markets where handhelds are sold (us/jap/eu) a decent smartphone is much more expensive.
No, there's also subsidized phones, like my not so budget iPhone 4 for $200.

I know full well that the real cost over time is more than that, but I couldn't care less: I want the thing anyway and, for AT&T, an unsubsidized unlimited data plan costs the same. So, for me, it's $200. Mentally much easier to pay than an up front payment of, say, $600.

I'm sure most people think about it the same way.

And you think it would be somehow fair to compare the 3DS to a phone that'll be 2 years-old when the Nintendo handheld comes out?

I didn't make the comparison. Arwin said that he didn't think 3DS would be able to match Iphone 3GS in graphics quality and you agreed. So I assumed you were of the same opinion obviously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back