Nintendo 3DS business future *spawn

How are you getting that out of an Iphone 4? (extended battery?) My friends Iphone 4's get a similar battery drain playing for just over an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use it for both. In my car I have this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Magellan+-+RoadMate+1700+GPS/9464153.p?id=1218108989749&skuId=9464153

I'd never replace it with a phone until they get that big and i don't have to worry about batterys.
Well, you could obviously get a 7" tablet with GPS. Somewhat more expensive, but also way more useful. And you wouldn't have to worry about draining your phone battery when playing games on it.

I think dedicated GPS units are on the way out. They're essentially just cheap tablets with restricted software.

Remember with a phone if i need to switch over to a primary task like messaging or speaking its going to mess with using a gps. The other problem is also set up. my gp is set up and the wires run to mount on my dash. I'd have to run a wire to keep my phoen charged up there.
Using a phone without a dash mount while driving is frankly quite irresponsible. What's the problem with having the GPS software run while making a call?
I don't see how the dash mount setup for a phone would be any more complicated than the one for a GPS. With most smartphones you could even use the same charger, with a Mini USB to Micro USB adapter.

I dunno how they are now , i remember my friends for is touch being bigger than the phone itself.
Even the bigger cases with a battery are quite a bit smaller than a DS, though.

How are you getting that out of an Iphone 4? (extended battery?) My friends Iphone 4's get a similar battery drain playing for just over an hour.

Its because the iPhone 4 is night and day better than most/all? Android phones. A night and a day of battery life that is! :D

I guess it also depends on what you play...

Its because the iPhone 4 is night and day better than most/all? Android phones. A night and a day of battery life that is! :D

I guess it also depends on what you play...

I probably should have quoted more of the past discussion to avoid confusion.

Aaron said he could play Angry Birds for 3 hours and only drain 20% battery. Like I said, my friends who have Iphone 4's get about 20% drain while only playing for just over an hour (would have thought that was the norm looking around the net). I was just asking how he's getting so much more, if its some kind of optimisation or an improved battery.

Would be nice if I could help to improve my friends battery life.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just asking how he's getting so much more, if its some kind of optimisation or a improve battery.

3G turned on/off, wifi on/off, bluetooth on/off, screen brightness etc etc.

Perhaps even volume, 16/32G ??

So many variations.

Combination of conditioning the battery, brightness, and proper configuration. oh, and never letting applications use the alert system, damn thing sucks down battery life like there is no tomorrow. Only thing I let use the alert system is mail/calender.

3G turned on/off, wifi on/off, bluetooth on/off, screen brightness etc etc.

Don't generally mess around with 3G/wifi, but turn bluetooth on/off when needed, running a BT stack all the time is pointless and presents some interesting issues. Screen brightness way down, the default settings will burn out you retinas. Alerts off for everything but email (the alert subsystem sucks battery like no tomorrow for some reason).

Also I condition the batteries of all my electronic devices and pay attention to it. It is amazing how bad batteries can get when you don't pay attention to them in phones/laptops

Perhaps even volume, 16/32G ??

For something like ABs, I have the volume off. 32G, wish they had a 64/96GB model out. Would gladly pay the extra money. Having to select what music I load on is so annoying. Still have an old magnetic iPod around for long trips just because I can load everything I have.

Well, you could obviously get a 7" tablet with GPS. Somewhat more expensive, but also way more useful. And you wouldn't have to worry about draining your phone battery when playing games on it.

I think dedicated GPS units are on the way out. They're essentially just cheap tablets with restricted software.
Sure that might work if i never want to use the tablet featuers i guess. But then its the same with the phone . I would think driving to florida my gf would rather use the tablet to play games or watch movies than to use it as a gps.

I don't think dedicated gps units are on the way out , i think they will drop in price and be added to the dash , most likely where the stero system sits now. Thee really is no point for cd players anymore and as gps's drop down in price they should be intergrated. I paid $175 for that 7 incher .

Using a phone without a dash mount while driving is frankly quite irresponsible. What's the problem with having the GPS software run while making a call?
I don't see how the dash mount setup for a phone would be any more complicated than the one for a GPS. With most smartphones you could even use the same charger, with a Mini USB to Micro USB adapter.
Normaly i put on speaker phone and keep the phone in my lap.

My andriod phone has to leave the gps to answer the call and then i'm sitting there in the call screen with no gps. I could minimize the call screen and go open the gps again but i rather continue driving.

With a dedicated gps i can have my gps do what it needs to do and have my phone do what it needs to do.

I mean i can idealy use my laptop as a gps also while in the car , i'm sure a 15 inch screen is even nicer for a gps , but then again someone in my car would most likely want to play games on it or watch a movie.

Even the bigger cases with a battery are quite a bit smaller than a DS, though.

But even if i double battery life , it still wont equal the DS life plus phone. Thats the issue.

I can have my phone and its great , it fits in my pocket and i can get calls all day long and check my mail and what not. Even go to a site or two. Then if i'm some where that i can game , i take out my dsi and start playing. I don't have to worry about games interupted due to the phone ringing or if i have enough battery for something.

Buy multiple extra batteries for your phone, then. Still less expensive than a dedicated console.

My myTouch Slide Android phone is still perfectly useable for web browsing or running most apps while Google Maps's navigation runs in the background.

On my iPhone 4, I keep the brightness and volume up very high and still get over four hours of battery while running Infinity Blade or Epic Citadel. The iPhones just have a smarter OS for that.

Everyone I know has a car charger who also has a smart phone. That charger is pretty much used all the time for that one device. So anyone driving with a smart phone would also top up their charge as often as possible. Finally all those same smart phones use regular USB cords except the iPhone and people can charge them at work or anywhere they like which they can get ahold of a USB port. You'd be surprised where you find USB ports when you REALLY want to charge your phone.

Everyone I know has a car charger who also has a smart phone. That charger is pretty much used all the time for that one device. So anyone driving with a smart phone would also top up their charge as often as possible. Finally all those same smart phones use regular USB cords except the iPhone and people can charge them at work or anywhere they like which they can get ahold of a USB port. You'd be surprised where you find USB ports when you REALLY want to charge your phone.

Its great when I"m in my car. Its not great when i'm on the go without my car. In the winter i try and take the train in , there are no outlets to charge my phone on the train. I might be able to charge my phone at work sure , but that isn't going to happen when i'm moving from location to location working on pcs. I don't sit in anyone place to get a good charge. I go between 5 schools and have 5 diffrent offices that are no more than a closet . I spend 90% of my day in classrooms fixing pcs. Not ideal to just plug a phone into one of those pcs while i'm working. No phones allowed int he class room and of course my cell phone will be stolen in minutes

Its great when I"m in my car. Its not great when i'm on the go without my car. In the winter i try and take the train in , there are no outlets to charge my phone on the train. I might be able to charge my phone at work sure , but that isn't going to happen when i'm moving from location to location working on pcs. I don't sit in anyone place to get a good charge. I go between 5 schools and have 5 diffrent offices that are no more than a closet . I spend 90% of my day in classrooms fixing pcs. Not ideal to just plug a phone into one of those pcs while i'm working. No phones allowed int he class room and of course my cell phone will be stolen in minutes

You know I was talking about normal people / lifestyles. Most people could charge in the car or at the office with no problems, no offense but you're too exceptional! :cool:

I suppose gaming takes up way more power as the screen is on and the cpu and gpu are running at max speed.

Sooo how about something a bit more on topic? Yesterday I heard nintendo is planning on NOT making the 3ds region free. Now I doubt it will really have a impact on people buying a 3ds or not but if true I think its pretty shitty. In europe we often get games much later or not at all compared to the US and prices are much higher. I imported a bunch of DS games for that reason. But that is probably exactly the reason why nintendo would block playing games from other regions because its losing them money.

In europe we often get games much later or not at all compared to the US and prices are much higher. I imported a bunch of DS games for that reason. But that is probably exactly the reason why nintendo would block playing games from other regions because its losing them money.

Higher price in Europe comes generally from higher taxes and distributor royalties. I don't think Nintendo tries to generate a higher profit per game in Europe than in the US (unlike Apple, they're not trying to create a "good pricing halo" through american e-press, while favoring their own country's economy).

I imagine that importing cheaper games from outside the EU could hurt the retail chains and generate some amount of money flux outwards.. However, I don't see Nintendo worrying that much about it that it cockblocks every geek who tries to legitimaly buy a game that's not available in his region.

Furthermore, region-locking is usually an "excuse" to get legitimaly into the market some "region-unlockers" that also allow pirated games.

I think the dedicated handheld console market is big enough for Nintendo, specifically Nintendo games for the most part, which can command $40, in a world of 99 cents smart phone games.

No smart phone games likely won't provide the deep gaming experiences people look for. But you can argue how big the number of people who expect "deep" games on the go are.

More and more people may be willing to play games on their smart phones and reserve more serious gaming for when they're home.

But a Nintendo handheld can probably still draw enough sales. One of the reasons for that is the key Nintendo franchises are like Disney to kids and parents.

Otherwise, more and more adults, who might have had Nintendo handhelds, may find smart phone games good enough if it means they can skip the expense and inconvenience of buying/carrying another device and games on physical media for that dedicated device.

Since you are always on the move, how about a kinetic charger (shown at CES)? (This BBC video also has a quick view of IMG's Pure stand)

UPDATE: Seems that one doesn't do a fantastic job if you want to make a lot of calls, but gaming might use less power.

i have a $70 solar charger and its not bad , i normaly leave it in the window in one of my offices and come back to it to get a charge.

a inetic one wouldn't be bad if it worked well. Would love to take it to disney world (i go 3-4 times a year) I normaly wall charge my solar one and leave it in the car when i'm at disney world and head back to the car and grab a charge half way during the day.

Back