Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Xbox Series X is 6.3" tall and 12.2" wide if you lie it on it's side. As a comparison, most AV receivers are bigger than that in both height and width. It should fit in an AV cabinet easily.
If the size and design of the console is based on keeping the fan noise low I will find a place for it no matter how.

The Xbox Series X is 6.3" tall and 12.2" wide if you lie it on it's side. As a comparison, most AV receivers are bigger than that in both height and width. It should fit in an AV cabinet easily.
I'd probably find a way to put it somewhere. An actual AV Receiver is already taking the spot reserved for the AV Receiver on the top. The rest of the rack is filled with parametric EQs, subwoofer power amps, network equipment, and multiple game consoles. When everything is the traditional form factor and cooling direction, I can put a lot of things in the rack.

On it's side, the new xbox needs practically the same shelf space as my ps4 pro and fat ps3 together (i.e. the two biggest PS models ever made). It's a good design, but an obviously compromised footprint in a rack.

Given that I am a strictly DD guy, I’ll probably place it horizontally and perpendicular to my entertainment center with top vent pointing outward.

Allows for a very low profile with the heat being pumped out into the living room instead of into the entertainment center.

What would you now guess for the CU count in Xbox Series X?

If you don't want to pick a CU count, then what about the overall design, relatively wide?

I hope all this SSD focus forces devs to rejigger how their always online titles work.

Because right now, some of the last few always online titles (I’m looking at you breakpoint and Div 2) I’ve purchased kill the ability to launch directly back into games as they always have to back out to the title screen to reconnect to the internet and then reload the game.

I don't understand the too-big-for-AV-cabinet complaint. How many people still use an AV cabinet? Everyone I know mount their TVs on a wall & then use floating wall shelves for a console & that's if they even have one. They also mount their sound bars on the wall under the TV. Almost all devices connected to a TV are small streaming boxes mounted on the back of the TV. Nobody has big monolithic VCR, DVD or AV receivers in a cabinet. If you stand the XBSX vertical it should be able to sit easily on a normal wall shelf. Think of vertical smart speakers like Alexa, Google Home etc.
AV cabinets are popular in Europe where room sizes are typically smaller, and with folks from whom the TV is not the centrepiece of the room or where it sits more discreetly in the corner. This is the case for us.

It is also about how much kit you have hooked up and how much cabling that requires. We have a PS4, PSVR, MacMini (but it could be an AppleTV or any other STB), A/V (for audio) and a Nintendo Switch. We don't want the mess of cables visible nor do we want to be dusting that mess every day. Electronics generate static which attracts dust. A closed cabinet, hugely reduces and IR-friendly dark glass puts all the crap out of immediate sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I can tell, there is no really credible leak so far. It's all over the map.

With MS being somewhat confirmed to be 12TF Navi, there is little room for speculations anymore. For sony it's still fair game to speculate anything, and at least we can be confident 12TF Navi is possible, there was a lot of pessimism about that some time ago.
Now we know it's possible in a PC tower.

Most can’t even agree that XSX is 12 TF after being told nearly explicitly so.

I do believe in 12 Tflops. But regardless. Who told them so?
Was it official? I seem to have missed that.
All I heard was the new console was 8x as powerfull as the One, and 2 times as powerfull as the X.
Not only this does not equates to meaning its 12 Tflops, but I remember once hearing Phil also saying that it was 4x the power of the Xbox One X, and in the end... it was just talking about the CPU.

Can't wait to see a teardown of the SX. The motherboard probably looks like a smallish graphics card with a coin sized bank of SSD chips at one end. Samsung gen 6 storage fits 1 TB in that space.

I do believe in 12 Tflops. But regardless. Who told them so?
Was it official? I seem to have missed that.
All I heard was the new console was 8x as powerfull as the One, and 2 times as powerfull as the X.
Not only this does not equates to meaning its 12 Tflops, but I remember once hearing Phil also saying that it was 4x the power of the Xbox One X, and in the end... it was just talking about the CPU.

I believe Phil has given metrics specifically for GPU and CPU now to be clear and avoid doubt,
There is always the question of performance or actual flop number, which could give fairly large changes to performance.

Given the went to town on 6tf marketing I think they are talking flops, also that case and cooling looks serious.

Not sure how to quote BRiT so linking to the post.

Xbox Series X [Release Holiday 2020]

On it's side, the new xbox needs practically the same shelf space as my ps4 pro and fat ps3 together (i.e. the two biggest PS models ever made). It's a good design, but an obviously compromised footprint in a rack.
It strikes me as well suited to the modern concept of devices on the top in plain view, like Amazon Spycam and Google Evesdrop. In a fashionable, designer, lived-in-by-super-models TV friendly environment, it'll look great in adverts. Very good design potentially too. I don't think it was engineered to encourage people to leave it out in plain view, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was seen as a plus and after trying to fit it in with other gear, perhaps a fair few owners will say, "sod it," and leave it on top next to the TV (not a real problem as long as no bright lights and quiet operation).

I believe Phil has given metrics specifically for GPU and CPU now to be clear and avoid doubt,
There is always the question of performance or actual flop number, which could give fairly large changes to performance.

Given the went to town on 6tf marketing I think they are talking flops, also that case and cooling looks serious.

Not sure how to quote BRiT so linking to the post.

Xbox Series X [Release Holiday 2020]

Maybe yes... maybe not. The fact is that the Math doesnt add up.
8x 1,31 (Xbox One base console) = 10,48 Tflops.
But 10,48 RDNA Tflops are actualy a lot more that 10,48 GCN 1.1 Tflops. RDNA efficiency gains vs GCN 1.1 are massive.
Check these benchmarks.
https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/am...8700k-3-70ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-9700k-3-60ghz/
If you look at the benchmarks, we can say without much error that a Rx 5700 XT equals a Vega VII in performance. We are talking 9,75 Tflops vs 13,8 Tflops.
So it seems to me we cannot talk in terms of flops. If that was the case a 12 Tflops GCN 1.1 would be 2x a Xbox One X, a 12 Tflops Vega would be 2x a Xbox one X, and a 12 Tflops Navi would be the same.
And this is not the case. A 9,7 Tflops Navi is more than 2x the X, and more than a 12 Tflops Vega.

Note I’m not saying it’s not 12 Tflops, just pointing out why we should have doubts about the context of those sentences.

Note also, I do believe its 12 Tflops. But I just dont take those vague words as confirmation.

Last edited:
Maybe yes... maybe not. The fact is that the Math doesnt add up.
8x 1,31 (Xbox One base console) = 10,48 Tflops.
But 10,48 RDNA Tflops are actualy a lot more that 10,48 GCN 1.1 Tflops. RDNA efficiency gains vs GCN 1.1 are massive.
Check these benchmarks.
https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/am...8700k-3-70ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-9700k-3-60ghz/
If you look at the benchmarks, we can say without much error that a Rx 5700 XT equals a Vega VII in performance. We are talking 9,75 Tflops vs 13,8 Tflops.
So it seems to me we cannot talk in terms of flops. If that was the case a 12 Tflops GCN 1.1 would be 2x a Xbox One X, a 12 Tflops Vega would be 2x a Xbox one X, and a 12 Tflops Navi would be the same.
And this is not the case. A 9,7 Tflops Navi is more than 2x the X, and more than a 12 Tflops Vega.

Note I’m not saying it’s not 12 Tflops, just pointing out why we should have doubts about the context of those sentences.

Note also, I do believe its 12 Tflops. But I just dont take those vague words as confirmation.

Digital Foundry has some of these concerns as well. Personally, I'm not a 100% sold on the next-generation consoles having anything over 10.5TF in raw performance. But we shall see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back