Next Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would hamper 3rd party cross platform titles for sure, now with both having the same RT tech, developers don't have to worry about PS5/XSX/PC having different ray tracing hardware solutions.

Wouldn't be that great either if Sony had their own RT tech, since almost no games would have it on PS5, just the exclusives which aren't many.

I wouldn't say that. Just look at PS2 vs Xbox or PS3 vs X360. The hardware in those couldn't be any more different but 3rd parties still used the hardware available to present graphics on either machine as closely as they could.

Granted at the start of the PS3 life, 3rd party developers had a REALLY rough time trying to implement the same level of graphics on the PS3.

If the RT hardware was different between the PS5 and XBSX, 3rd party developers will still use it to try to keep the graphics in their games as similar as possible.

This isn't a case of one machine has RT but the other one doesn't and instead has, I don't know...Nurbs/Bezier curves hardware acceleration.

Regards,
SB

If the RT hardware was different between the PS5 and XBSX, 3rd party developers will still use it to try to keep the graphics in their games as similar as possible.

Yes true, but now developers won't have to do that, which makes things easier and probably results in better RT solutions to boot. Aside from that, AMD most likely can provide the better RT solution then Sony, hence the reason Sony opted for AMD's ray tracing hardware.

Wouldn't be that great either if Sony had their own RT tech, since almost no games would have it on PS5, just the exclusives which aren't many.
The GNM API exists only on playstation, do you think no third party use it?

What was being proposed was a modified RT hardware, not a completely alien technology.

The devs have rays to compute. The hardware computes rays. The API exposes methods to use the hardware. There's no rocket surgery required here if the hardware has some sort of different implementation.

I think if I understood correctly from reading an older report from Square Soft: they were building their own RT API that would convert into the DXR and the one that Sony is making (lets called it GNMRT)

So should be fairly similar in terms of functionality

No. Devs would just support multiple development environments of non-related hardware like they did every gen until the current.

Probably they would, but we are in luck, no such thing will be needed.
Such thing would be needed either way, it's a different API. So no, we're not being lucky.

Third parties have to code on one side for directx, and on the other side for gnm. That's the current reality, and RT will be the same regardless of minute differences in the hardware implementation.

You're trying to imply that doing anything other than a carbon copy of the next amd gpu is somehow a bad idea. There is no indications that is the case unless it's algorithmically incompatible or is missing core features. So far Sony modified amd hardware by adding features, so the hypothetical altered RT never presented the risk you claim.

Last edited:
Yeah we are, things could have been worse if sony had some own wacky RT hardware solution on top of that different API.
That wacky hardware seem to exist only in your head. You invented a shitty hardware and assumed that's what it would have been.

Nobody suggested a shitty RT implementation here.

Reactions: Jay
That wacky hardware seem to exist only in your head. You invented a shitty hardware and assumed that's what it would have been.

Nobody suggested a shitty RT implementation here.

Calm down, no panic. I obviously ment things could have been worse then it will be now, example if sony had designed their own hardware ray tracing solution. That could have been wacky like the emotion engine or the Cell, hard to program for. In short things could have been worse then just an API difference, now the hardware is the same across platforms atleast.

Calm down, no panic. I obviously ment things could have been worse then it will be now, example if sony had designed their own hardware ray tracing solution. That could have been wacky like the emotion engine or the Cell, hard to program for. In short things could have been worse then just an API difference, now the hardware is the same across platforms atleast.
And things could've been better if Sony went a different route also. I.e. If it was a better solution.

Guess because in pc space things are really bad because have Nvidia, amd, soon Intel all having different implementations.

Fact is the devs are using a different api between the consoles.

Not sure why people think different means bad or worse.

If it was a better solution.

Like i said, there's a reason sony didnt go for their own solution, if it would have been better for them, and they would have been able to, they would have had their own hardware solution.

Guess because in pc space things are really bad because have Nvidia, amd, soon Intel all having different implementations.

Soon we will know if AMD has a different solution to NV, or if they are largely the same.

And things could've been better if Sony went a different route also. I.e. If it was a better solution.

Fact is the devs are using a different api between the consoles.

Not sure why people think different means bad or worse.
Yeah that's my objection to hypothetical implementations. If they did something, anything, it would be based on an evaluation that it's better.

So it's equally invalid to say we got unlucky they didn't make their own custom 10x times faster implementation that is also 100% compatible with all APIs.

The normal position is "they would if they could", just as much as "they chose A instead of B because they determined it's better".

Reactions: Jay
AMD's Mithun Chandrasekhar exact words!

watch

A bit different from what the website Tequilla wrote.

No direct mention to both consoles beeing RDNA 2.

Last edited:
AMD's Mithun Chandrasekhar exact words!

watch

A bit different from what the website Tequilla wrote.

No direct mention to both consoles beeing RDNA 2.

I guess now there will be dozens of pages on different forums dedicated to what "supports hardware raytracing natively" means exactly and if raytracing also must mean it's RDNA2 or if it could be added to RDNA1... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back