Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices and SoCs' started by Arun, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Rys

Rys Graphics @ AMD
    Moderator Veteran Alpha

silent_guy's coin pocket 2014, never forget.

2. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

Not quite sure if I should be flattered about B3Ds fascinations with my pants.

3. nutball

Veteran Subscriber

Well Apple seem to be cozying up to the fashion set quite a bit recently, so maybe they'll persuade Levi's to bring out a range of jeans with bigger coin pockets? 501S or 501+ perhaps.

4. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

Excellent idea!

5. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

Just being a qurious boy. Does anyone know, or have any idea if they are going to announce new and improved iPads this year?

6. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

It would be a first if they didn't.

7. zed

zed
    Legend Veteran

They need to copy the waterproofing first, Im sure thats coming in iphone 7 though with much fanfare.
    yeah the Xperia 3 looks to be the best phone you can buy at present, FM radio. I also see it supports BeiDou (OK not useful for USA/europe) but here in NZ, its more accurate than GPS/glonass. Sony seem to make nice phones, yet that part of the company loses a lot of money. They'ld be better off IMO not spending millions on mucking around with android and just sticking a bog standard android OS in. For a lot of ppl like myself, I prefer standard android (part of the reason my last two phones were nexus 4/nexus 5)

8. silent_guy

Veteran Subscriber

There was this, but it has since been denied by The Loop.
    So who knows...

9. RudeCurve

Banned

I'm glad you guys brought up the Xperia Z3 because after seeing pictures/videos of it and reading about it...I'm seriously considering skipping the 6 and going with the SONY...:???: Seems it's not available in the US yet and when it is it will be with T-Mobile. If T-Mobile offers a really good deal on an unlimited mobile data plan then the SONY will be my next phone.:eek:

Anyway I noticed something when shopping for phones and plans...looks like the carriers are not subsidizing these smartphones anymore. The phone plans all come with an additional monthly "phone payment" now on top of the "phone service" payment. Basically this means upgrading every two years doesn't really benefit the consumer anymore because at the end of the contract they would've paid $650+ for the phone itself.

#2829 RudeCurve, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2014
  10. Squilliam

Squilliam Beyond3d isn't defined yet
    Veteran

Apparently it doesn't mean there won't be an event, or new iPads. It's just that the 21st of October is incorrect.

Given the fact that November 21 was the release date it would make sense that they would have an event closer to that time as Apple seems to like to release things about a year apart. Given the large burst of iPhones they needed to produce having a few months gap probably makes some sense.

11. Grall

Grall Invisible Member
    Legend

They always update their iThing gear every year. So yeah, it'll come, usual rumor mill say there will be a conference in october.

12. patsu

Legend

Got my 6 today.

I tried out a few third party custom keyboards. End up disabling them because they request for "Full Access" for the fancy features to work.

So far I only used the built-in predictive stuff for answering iMessage replies. Sometimes, it really does "get" the questions my wife asked. So the possible answers are already listed in the guesses. I just select the desired one.

The power button got relocated to the right side. That throws me off every time. Guess it will take weeks for me to get used to it.

The slightly larger screen is helpful.

Yes, the fingerprint sensor is instant for me now. Rarely misses a recognition.

I also bought Phillips Hues light bulbs, a digital door lock, etc.
    Will see how well Home Kit works.

Also can't wait to try their new payment stuff.

13. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Same here.

Yeah it's my first experience with biometric anything and it's pretty damn impressive. Works perfectly on mapped fingers and no false positives so far.

Overall though it's the same experience on a slightly larger screen. I'm already used to it so it doesn't feel bigger any more.

14. wco81

Legend

Digital door lock? Have a link?

15. ltcommander.data

Regular

http://newsroom.mastercard.com/2014/09/15/embedding-best-technology-apple-pay-digital-transactions/

A few pages back there was some confusion about whether Apple Pay tokens are one time use or not. Mastercard has confirmed the token number that substitutes for your credit card is static on the device. However, the token must work with a unique cryptogram which is generated in concert with the Secure Element per transaction. In terms of privacy, I'm guessing this means that merchants can still track your purchases since they'll have your token number on record which doesn't change as long as you use the same device. I wonder if a new token number will be generated if you delete the credit card and re-add it? So perhaps a strategy for privacy might be to occasionally regenerate the token and vary purchases between an iPhone and iWatch if you have one to prevent consistent records being collected. But in terms of security, that token is likely worthless for stealing money since it can't be used in a transaction without a new cryptogram created by the correct device.

16. wco81

Legend

But does the token have associations with your billing address and such, which is needed in the current system?

They might know that you used the same virtual card on several occasions but would they know the identity of the person?

Of course they will offer incentive programs which allow them to track your purchases anyways.

I'm willing to trade complete privacy for such programs. I think also, it's unusual to make major purchases these days without using a credit card. Some businesses, like rental car companies, won't even take cash.

I wouldn't mind electronic receipts to replace or complement the paper ones but of course that also means giving up some privacy as well.

17. Mariner

Veteran

Well, the whole point of SwiftKey (I'm using it on Android), is that the software reads through your SMS/mail/etc to check your writing style and therefore improve the predictions. Same goes for other third party keyboards, I expect.

Not a problem for me as I don't use my phone for anything where absolute privacy is necessary (and I tend to think that SwiftKey aren't secretly spying on little old me), so I'm happy enough to give the app 'access'.

My sister previously used Android phones and, after moving to an iPhone, found the keyboard the toughest thing to come to terms with. However, I mentioned to her that she can now use third-party keyboards and she's decided she's happy enough to stick with the standard iOS keyboard as she's got used to it.

On the other hand, on the brief occasions I've used iPhones, the keyboard drove me to distraction! Having to change between screens to access punctuation and numbers is just nuts!

18. patsu

Legend

I ordered August. It's not shipping until October.

19. patsu

Legend

The token is a "random" number unassociated with your billing address. You should be able to move house without changing that token.

20. patsu

Legend

I type faster with the built in keyboard than the custom ones. Those smart predictions tend to slowdown my thought train.

The 6+ keyboard has extra keys. The 6 keyboard is identical to 5.