Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

Well Apple seem to be cozying up to the fashion set quite a bit recently, so maybe they'll persuade Levi's to bring out a range of jeans with bigger coin pockets? 501S or 501+ perhaps.

Just being a qurious boy. Does anyone know, or have any idea if they are going to announce new and improved iPads this year?

The Xperia 3 looks gorgeous with its slim top/bottom bezels, I'd love for Apple to rip off Sony (again!)
They need to copy the waterproofing first, Im sure thats coming in iphone 7 though with much fanfare.
yeah the Xperia 3 looks to be the best phone you can buy at present, FM radio. I also see it supports BeiDou (OK not useful for USA/europe) but here in NZ, its more accurate than GPS/glonass. Sony seem to make nice phones, yet that part of the company loses a lot of money. They'ld be better off IMO not spending millions on mucking around with android and just sticking a bog standard android OS in. For a lot of ppl like myself, I prefer standard android (part of the reason my last two phones were nexus 4/nexus 5)

I'm glad you guys brought up the Xperia Z3 because after seeing pictures/videos of it and reading about it...I'm seriously considering skipping the 6 and going with the SONY...:???: Seems it's not available in the US yet and when it is it will be with T-Mobile. If T-Mobile offers a really good deal on an unlimited mobile data plan then the SONY will be my next phone.:eek:

Anyway I noticed something when shopping for phones and plans...looks like the carriers are not subsidizing these smartphones anymore. The phone plans all come with an additional monthly "phone payment" now on top of the "phone service" payment. Basically this means upgrading every two years doesn't really benefit the consumer anymore because at the end of the contract they would've paid $650+ for the phone itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was this, but it has since been denied by The Loop.
So who knows...

Apparently it doesn't mean there won't be an event, or new iPads. It's just that the 21st of October is incorrect.

Given the fact that November 21 was the release date it would make sense that they would have an event closer to that time as Apple seems to like to release things about a year apart. Given the large burst of iPhones they needed to produce having a few months gap probably makes some sense.

Got my 6 today.

First impressions of the non-plussed 6 after a day of intensive use:
- most important for my pants fan club: you'll be happy to hear that it fits my regular pockets just fine, but not my jeans coin pocket: you can just wiggle it in there if you try, but too much is sticking out at the top. Don't worry all: with mental fortitude and persistent retraining, I will survive and overcome this serious set-back.

- I had no problem with the ultra-thin iPod touch of my daughter, but I do have one with this phone: I feel like it can drop any time. Practice will make perfect. Or better a phone case to make it bigger again. Strange world we live in.

- That Android-style predictive word guessing on top of the keyboard? I'm a very fast touch screen typist. I'm completely in tune with the old predictive guessing: it only requires pressing space to auto-complete, which you have to do anyway. Having a list of words on top of the screen slows me down immensely: it's distracting even when you don't use it, and scanning the list takes more time than typing the thing in the first place when you do use it. It also takes a lot of screen space. Disabled that POS feature in a heart beat.

I tried out a few third party custom keyboards. End up disabling them because they request for "Full Access" for the fancy features to work.

So far I only used the built-in predictive stuff for answering iMessage replies. Sometimes, it really does "get" the questions my wife asked. So the possible answers are already listed in the guesses. I just select the desired one.

- It will take a while before I get unused to 7 years of the same iPhone width. The one-handed operation is really an issue. On the iPhone 5, I was annoyed by the power button being on top of the phone, resulting in uncomfortable stretches of the thumb. That's fixed now. But everything else has become harder. The reachability feature (2 light taps on the home button to shift the whole screen down) is surprisingly effective. I use it all the time. I think app writers will simply adapt their UIs.

The power button got relocated to the right side. That throws me off every time. Guess it will take weeks for me to get used to it.

The slightly larger screen is helpful.

- the finger print sensor is fantastic. I considered breaking contract for a 5s just for this feature. It's fulfills its promise.

- recording at 240fps is cool.

Yes, the fingerprint sensor is instant for me now. Rarely misses a recognition.

I also bought Phillips Hues light bulbs, a digital door lock, etc.
Will see how well Home Kit works.

Also can't wait to try their new payment stuff.

I tried out a few third party custom keyboards. End up disabling them because they request for "Full Access" for the fancy features to work.

Same here.

Yes, the fingerprint sensor is instant for me now. Rarely misses a recognition.

Yeah it's my first experience with biometric anything and it's pretty damn impressive. Works perfectly on mapped fingers and no false positives so far.

Overall though it's the same experience on a slightly larger screen. I'm already used to it so it doesn't feel bigger any more.

http://newsroom.mastercard.com/2014/09/15/embedding-best-technology-apple-pay-digital-transactions/

3. And We’ve Added an Extra Layer of Protection: In order to further protect consumers we’ve added an additional layer of security to the digital payment process through tokenization. This means that the number stored in the Secure Element in a consumer’s iPhone6 is not the same number as on their card. In the (unlikely) event that someone is able to pick up the data off of a transaction – what they’re going to get is a 16 digit token number and a cryptogram (a long number unique to each transaction.) If they try to use the token without a cryptogram we’ll reject the transaction. And they can’t generate a crypotgram without the EMV keys that are stored safely in the Secure Element on the iPhone. A lot of technical talk – but added together it simply means that we’ve put the right protections in place to keep consumers safe.
A few pages back there was some confusion about whether Apple Pay tokens are one time use or not. Mastercard has confirmed the token number that substitutes for your credit card is static on the device. However, the token must work with a unique cryptogram which is generated in concert with the Secure Element per transaction. In terms of privacy, I'm guessing this means that merchants can still track your purchases since they'll have your token number on record which doesn't change as long as you use the same device. I wonder if a new token number will be generated if you delete the credit card and re-add it? So perhaps a strategy for privacy might be to occasionally regenerate the token and vary purchases between an iPhone and iWatch if you have one to prevent consistent records being collected. But in terms of security, that token is likely worthless for stealing money since it can't be used in a transaction without a new cryptogram created by the correct device.

But does the token have associations with your billing address and such, which is needed in the current system?

They might know that you used the same virtual card on several occasions but would they know the identity of the person?

Of course they will offer incentive programs which allow them to track your purchases anyways.

I'm willing to trade complete privacy for such programs. I think also, it's unusual to make major purchases these days without using a credit card. Some businesses, like rental car companies, won't even take cash.

I wouldn't mind electronic receipts to replace or complement the paper ones but of course that also means giving up some privacy as well.

Well, the whole point of SwiftKey (I'm using it on Android), is that the software reads through your SMS/mail/etc to check your writing style and therefore improve the predictions. Same goes for other third party keyboards, I expect.

Not a problem for me as I don't use my phone for anything where absolute privacy is necessary (and I tend to think that SwiftKey aren't secretly spying on little old me), so I'm happy enough to give the app 'access'.

My sister previously used Android phones and, after moving to an iPhone, found the keyboard the toughest thing to come to terms with. However, I mentioned to her that she can now use third-party keyboards and she's decided she's happy enough to stick with the standard iOS keyboard as she's got used to it.

On the other hand, on the brief occasions I've used iPhones, the keyboard drove me to distraction! Having to change between screens to access punctuation and numbers is just nuts!

But does the token have associations with your billing address and such, which is needed in the current system?

They might know that you used the same virtual card on several occasions but would they know the identity of the person?

Of course they will offer incentive programs which allow them to track your purchases anyways.

I'm willing to trade complete privacy for such programs. I think also, it's unusual to make major purchases these days without using a credit card. Some businesses, like rental car companies, won't even take cash.

I wouldn't mind electronic receipts to replace or complement the paper ones but of course that also means giving up some privacy as well.

The token is a "random" number unassociated with your billing address. You should be able to move house without changing that token.

Well, the whole point of SwiftKey (I'm using it on Android), is that the software reads through your SMS/mail/etc to check your writing style and therefore improve the predictions. Same goes for other third party keyboards, I expect.

Not a problem for me as I don't use my phone for anything where absolute privacy is necessary (and I tend to think that SwiftKey aren't secretly spying on little old me), so I'm happy enough to give the app 'access'.

My sister previously used Android phones and, after moving to an iPhone, found the keyboard the toughest thing to come to terms with. However, I mentioned to her that she can now use third-party keyboards and she's decided she's happy enough to stick with the standard iOS keyboard as she's got used to it.

On the other hand, on the brief occasions I've used iPhones, the keyboard drove me to distraction! Having to change between screens to access punctuation and numbers is just nuts!

I type faster with the built in keyboard than the custom ones. Those smart predictions tend to slowdown my thought train.

The 6+ keyboard has extra keys. The 6 keyboard is identical to 5.

Back