Next-Gen iPhone & iPhone Nano Speculation

I was shocked they stayed at it last year, so I wouldn't put it past them.

However, it's become a noticeable limitation to multi-tasking, so I'm expecting sanity to prevail in their new designs this time.

https://www.khronos.org/webgl/public-mailing-list/archives/1401/msg00000.html

Any thoughts on providing a WebGL version of
http://www.khronos.org/registry/gles/extensions/KHR/texture_compression_astc_hdr.txt

Apple supports this in the latest iOS hardware (the devices with OpenGL ES 3.0). I’m not sure about other vendors.

Dean
In a follow-up to references of ASTC support briefly appearing in the iOS 8 beta 3 API diffs, I just noticed that Dean Jackson from Apple's WebKit team stated in January that A7 hardware does support ASTC. If that is the case, I don't know why Apple is being so coy about exposing it in OES in the iOS 8 betas. It doesn't seem like something most consumers would recognize enough to save for the iPhone 6/finalized iOS 8 announcement event.

4GB is probably excessive for Apple. After all, these are the guys charging a hundred fucking dollars for 16GB of flash memory. :p 2GB is a really low-yielding bet tho.

The 1GB rumour didn't come from someone's ass, it came from a leaked schematic from an authorized apple repair centre:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/08/18/leake...gb-of-ram-but-it-may-indicate-nfc-on-the-way/

In the meanwhile, this assumption has been put aside because the schematic apparently refers to a 1GB NAND storage (for firmware?).

I wouldn't be surprised if the 4.7" iPhone comes with 1GB, though. The display resolution will apparently be quite similar to the iphone 5 (no need for a larger framebuffer) and I haven't heard of any complaints over the iphone 5's RAM amount, with iOS being as limited as it is for multitasking.
Plus, it's always good for apple to have something to brag about when they launch the iphone 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apple Mystery Event* scheduled for ten days from now, located at the same venue as where the Macintosh was first unveiled 30 years ago (30 friggin years... God damn, how could it be that long?), hinting at something really big - literally. Apple's built a temporary structure that's three storeys in height there.

The Apple frothers-at-the-mouth are already frothing. So am I, pretty much. Lol.

*Rumors abound of pIephone 6 and iWatch getting rolled out, so maybe that much mystery after all.

Presumption is that this event would be for iOS, specifically iPhone and now some wearable device.

But that venue is historically tied with Macs.

iMac is overdue for refresh but they really don't have an event for Macs any more. Plus the Broadwells are not suppose to be out until later this year, maybe next year.

Flint is closer to Apple but Moscone Center is where they've been holding events and it's really better suited to hosting all the national and international media who probably stay in San Francisco instead of Cupertino, 50 miles away.

Did anybody play/try Bioshock for iOS ?

On one hand I'm impressed with the fact they managed to squeeze a full console/PC game into a mobile device, but on the other hand I find the "experience" on specially the iPhone a bit underwhelming. The screen feels too cramped for this kind of game, for my liking.

On an iPad Air it is mostly very smooth, but the textures and crispness varies. Specially the lighting is pretty bad.

Makes you wonder why there's a 2 GB limit for iOS apps, did they use bad compression of assets ?

For sure it's a 100% copy of the PC experience, including the audio delays (and bad environmental audio (e.g. you hear people talking and screaming, but they are far far away in another room).

Very annoying are the freezes. Maybe it's saving in the back ground or the iOS CPU/GPU throttling.

Looking at the AnandTech impressions, if the only way to shoehorn your game onto the platform is to decimate the lighting and shadows and textures that played such an important part in the atmosphere while running at some godawful internal resolution and supporting only a fraction of devices, maybe you should just not.

Hmm, so is the reduced experience worth even $15?

It's not going to be a as high volume as typical mobile games at that price, especially since the game originally came out what, 4-5 years ago?

http://sonnydickson.com/2014/08/30/iphone-6-logic-board-confirms-nfc/

The full iPhone 6 logic board has been leaked. The A8 die looks slightly smaller than the A7. They report 2 GHz dual core, but that might just be repeating previous rumours rather than new information. Curiously both A7 and A8 look like they have the similar RAM part numbers that look like H9CKNNN... which point to Hynix LPDDR3 parts. So I guess no LPDDR4 although hopefully they up the capacity.

http://www.skhynix.com/products/mob...nfo.ramKind=33&info.eol=NOT&posMap=MobileDDR3

EDIT: I should note that in Hynix nomenclature the next digit after the N determines the capacity with "8" being 1 GB (ie. H9CKNNN8) and "B" being 2 GB (H9CKNNNB). Sadly the image isn't high enough to make it out.

EDIT 2: The 3 digits after the dash help signify speed with the A7 looking like -NTM and the A8 looking like - NTH. A "T" in the second digit means LPDDR3-1600 and a "U" means LPDDR3-1866. It doesn't seem likely that Apple would forgo a RAM speed increase. Either I'm reading the numbers wrong, Apple is going quad-channel again even for the iPhone and stacking 2 RAM dies or there's something fishy with the pictures.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rumor of the day appears to be NFC.

Maybe they can give mobile payments a kickstart in the united states given the mess of a situation with EMV cards.

Sure. Though it doesn't take a lot of Googling to find out who makes NFC stuff. Even the Financial Times can manage that.

My point was that NFC, like a number of other features, has been on the definitely-definitely-coming-this-year lists of the rumour mongers for some time now, but hasn't arrived. I guess if they keep repeating it they'll be right eventually.

I don't think that the tech inside the phone itself has been the sticking point, it's been the availability of things to bonk the phone against in retail outlets, and some way for Apple to get a slice of the action from the payments processors. So I'd be more interested if the FT had some insight into this.

True on the tech vs. business arrangements.

Maybe Apple lined up some things. Saw an article that they've been hiring a lot of people in US and Europe from that world, credit card/banking processing and transactions.

There's PCB shots out now in the wild showing the new NFC chip mounted on it of the new iP6 (not sure which size, but it doesn't really matter, as they'll both have it.)

Back