News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Acert93, Mar 8, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XpiderMX

Veteran

Is there some official link? I can download tv programming for my local cable provider in Windows Media Center (Mexico), and I'm talking about analog TV signal.

EDIT: No dGPU confirmed by Penello.

#6701 XpiderMX, Sep 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2013
  2. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

That's both relative and subjective. What's the point of reference to consider something "quiet"?
    What would be the passing grade to say they succeeded?

3. Tap In

Legend

Albert panelo again on gaf..

4. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

I've posted just the meat to the tech thread. Let the flood gates open! LOL :)

Tommy McClain

5. babybumb

Regular

Jeesus christ. Do they think this is good PR?

6. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

He's not in PR but I agree, he's not making it any easier. Personally, I don't think there's anything Microsoft can say to make most people change their minds about the tech. Microsoft are so vilified at this point I don't think they can ever recover. They really need the games & OS to speak for themselves.

Tommy McClain

7. zupallinere

Regular

So first the engineers at MS say they weren't shooting for the graphics high ground.
    Then Al says it's not all about the specs
    Now we have a Major Nelson ( Xbox 360 has 278.4 GB/s of memory system bandwidth. ) retread with specs being everything now.

One way to keep it interesting I guess. What's in the water at Redmond these day !!

8. zed

zed
    Veteran

But how would he be certain of the competitors advantages & whatever?, industrial espionage happens all the time & for far smaller amounts than what these companies are playing for

9. Tap In

Legend

More on his perspective of information

10. MrFox

Legend Veteran

FFS he keeps acting like a car salesman.

So he's saying that comparing numbers is wrong... then he spins a completely misleading memory bandwidth addition.

99.7% of the memory is 68GB/s.
    0.3% of the memory is 278GB/s peak in theory, but much less in practice. It's not nothing and can be very useful, but I'm certainly calling his false equivalency fallacy.
    He doesn't address the number one point about GPGPU which is... if they don't have enough CUs, what's left for GPGPU?
    Also doesn't address the amount of resources reserved for Kinect or the system.

This is called Spin and FUD.

11. Johnny Awesome

Veteran

It's not really relative or subjective. It's measurable.

12. XpiderMX

Veteran

Well, people (GAF) requested him more info, and he is just answering them. I don't know if he is wrong with the numbers, but I think you must see where is he posting that information.

13. MrFox

Legend Veteran

No. The treshold of "quiet" is subjective, because each person has a different level of tolerance and experiences to call something quiet. It's a subjective word.

It's also relative because until someone experienced a really quiet refrigerator, he might say that his current Fisher&Pickel refrigerator is very quiet, because it is compared to his previous GE refrigerator. The point of reference for such a subjective word will change with what a person experience. If you live downtown, for example, quiet is a completely different frame of reference. That's what relative means.

So what objective figure would you associate with "quiet"?

I personally determined my own point of reference at 20dbA, because that's what I get from my video projector above my head, I hear it if I concentrate on it, but it's quiet for me. I don't see the Xbone being much less than 30dbA at 1m when playing a AAA title. But I could be wrong.

14. Dave Baumann

Dave Baumann Gamerscore Wh...
    Moderator Legend

http://www.techradar.com/news/gamin...ow-well-xbox-one-will-play-with-uk-tv-1176297

It will be coming to other regions in time.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/sound/u11l2b.cfm

15. temesgen

Veteran Regular

I really don't see what the big problem some have with his comments here. Personally I think he'd be better off focusing on their vision/business plan but whatever.

16. Speccy

Newcomer

What's wrong with the comments?

As for the memory bandwidth what is the issue with the majority of the memory being slow vs most being fast? In no way are you ever going to be addressing that quickly all of the time. The largest consumers of bandwidth are going to be operations performed by the RBE's, which again are not going to be addressing all that RAM continuously. If you can localize operations from the RBE's to perform complete, but fairly localized, tasks then you can every effectively use the available bandwidth on the ESRAM; AMD's graphics architectures already perform all pixel operations (past rasterization stage) in small tiles, meaning there is already some inbuilt efficiency to the ESRAM even before other software (API or program) operations are performed to utilize it in the most efficient manner possible.

Whether they can achieve an effective bandwidth similar to a 256b GDDR5 interface is unknown, and will likely very from one application to the next dependent on the types of operations being performed in the app, but you can't necessarily dismiss it as a false equivalency, and it is absolutely incorrect to dismiss it based on the "size" of the ESRAM vs the DDR3.

17. MrFox

Legend Veteran

It's definitely a false equivalence.
    Otherwise I could add the register files and it would dwarf anything else as unimportant bandwidth.
    Helpful pool, yes, but not equivalent to a global pool. I'm certainly not dismissing it's usefulness. He claims you can add bandwidths together and it's certainly not that simple.

18. RudeCurve

Banned

That makes too much sense...:lol:

19. Speccy

Newcomer

How is it a false equivalence if the majority of your bandwidth consumption can be controlled in a manner that can consume the bandwidth of the 32MB effectively and limiting the consumption required by the external RAM? This is the very nature by which a TBDR operates, but even well controlled immediate mode renderers can make effective use of it, especially in a closed platform.

20. McHuj

Veteran Regular Subscriber

The combined bandwidth maybe possible. Perhaps there are cases where the ROPs are rendering out of the SRAM while the ALUs use the main memory bandwidth for a GPGPU computation. If you can execute out of both pools of RAM simultaneous, then I say you can add the bandwidth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.