News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People on forums don't matter, but they like to think they do. Announcing the most flops won't win you anything with the general public.

People on forums don't matter, but they like to think they do. Announcing the most flops won't win you anything with the general public.

Well, I know flops won't win, but it is not only the flop issue, it is about "core" gamers. But maybe I'm overreacting.

For example, I prefer Xbox IPs, but now, PS4 looks "better" for me, in a pure gaming scenario.

I guess all this "leaks" are not making anything good for MS. But I know it is too soon to judge next gen consoles.

EDIT: Back on-topic... can we expect new leaks for Durango?

And what is the consensus about the "Data Move Engine"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Will there be enough difference in power for the multiplatform publishers to optimize for the more powerful system?

Sony will have some showcase exclusives like Uncharted.

But unless COD and GTA and other big multiplatform games look a lot better on one system, it won't swing sales.

Will there be enough difference in power for the multiplatform publishers to optimize for the more powerful system?

Sony will have some showcase exclusives like Uncharted.

But unless COD and GTA and other big multiplatform games look a lot better on one system, it won't swing sales.

Ok, but what about 1080p vs 720p*? for "non-gamer" people it doesn't affect sales, but for "core gamers" it can be a selling point.

*To be clear, I'm not saying that PS4 = 1080p and Next Xbox= 720p, just a hypothetical situation.

Well MS will scream bloody murder if some big publisher does something like that. I'm sure Durango is going to have the 1080p games as a checkbox.

Interesting question is if 4k hype builds and one or both consoles claim 4K games through upscaling.

I guess all this "leaks" are not making anything good for MS. But I know it is too soon to judge next gen consoles.

They're not making them any good , but what can they do ?
To be honest i believe they leaked the specs themselves ,to get over with it and go on with the games .
Problem is they underestimated their antagonist and underspeced their machine .

I think this generation is a flip-flop of last gen processor-wise.

I think MS went for a CPU-centric machine and Sony a GPU-centric machine.

This is in line with what each platform will be focusing on. Next Xbox will presumably focus on CPU-intensive processes (i.e., Kinect, multitasking, AI, etc.). PS4 will presumably focus on GPU-instensive processes (i.e., graphics, animation, physics simulation, etc.).

That being said, there will be logic in each that affords flexibility when needed.

I believe the 4 CU block on the GPU (specialized for GPGPU functionality) primarily represents this flexibility for Sony.

As for Microsoft, I believe beefed up (or additional) SIMD FPUs on the Jaguar CPU side primarily represents this flexibility.

To add to this hypothesis, each system has a memory architecture that is either biased towards making efficient use of the CPU (Microsoft with a large pool of slower DDR3 being balanced with a small pool of fast, extremely-low-latency, coherent ESRAM and DMEs) or the GPU (Sony with a high-bandwidth GDDR5 UMA pool).

I think the design intent for both system is pretty clear here. Knowing this, it is pretty safe to say that the Durango's "special sauce" is beefed-up (or additional) SIMD FPUs on the CPU side.

What do you guys think?

this was just posted on gaf

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47108869&postcount=6487

We had our Microsoft Gold Partner come in yesterday to show off (and try to sell an implementation for) Lync 2013. Lync is pretty much the corporate version of Skype, with full integration with Outlook, Office, Sharepoint etc.

The main sales guy mentioned than the next Xbox will ship with 1080p Kinect and have full integration with both Skype and Lync. He suggested that the next Xbox will find a place in boardrooms, due to its native, high quality, video conferencing abilities. He was worried, as they're also a partner / reseller for Polycom.

nothing we didnt expect probably but still cool.

Well at least a somewhat reliable confirmation of a 1080p camera in Kinect 2 is pretty interesting. I'm more interested in what resolution the depth camera will be running in, however.

Regards,
SB

Equally interesting, it says the 720 will ship with kinect. (not that anyone expected it not to)

Oh the irony...
Earlier today, I had a meeting with some folks from microsoft adjourned because Lynk just refused to work.

But the next Xbox coming with Lync?
Unless Microsoft will be selling Office for Xbox too, I don't see the point.
(As if the main sales guy would ever get privileged information from the next xbox..)

Oh the irony...
Earlier today, I had a meeting with some folks from microsoft adjourned because Lynk just refused to work.

That would, interestingly enough, make the next Xbox that much more attractive for boardrooms. As it would theoretically never fail to work. And you have the side benefit of being able to play games in the boardroom on your breaks. :D

Regards,
SB

Oh the irony...

(As if the main sales guy would ever get privileged information from the next xbox..)

I know I will be eviscerated by saying this, but we need to stop thinking of the next Xbox as just a games console (which even the current 360 isn't anymore), and see it as the general purpose living room PC that just happens to play games. It sounds terrible, but when you push that kind of marketing, Microsoft has the ability to sell a lot more of them if it's where you rent movies, watch TV, listen to music, video chat, etc... all of the stuff the current 360 can do but sucks up so much power and not able to multi-task while doing it. Plus, the more you sell, the cheaper components are.

Yeah I can see now that the battle for the living room, which is one of the reasons which brought MS into consoles, is now joined not only by set top boxes but tablets and phones that link wirelessly to your big screen.

Especially if the $60 games business model of the console becomes growth-limited, it will become crucial to brunt the threat that mobile devices pose.

Surely it's more realistic that the 360 will come with Skype (heavily integrated) and Skype will seamlessly interface with Lync clients. i.e. two different front ends for the same underlying communications system.

The new edge online article actually seems to be casting some doubt over Microsoft using an AMD GPU:

Edge said:
Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMD’s ‘R10XX’ architecture, alongside the so-called ‘Liverpool’ system-on-chip.

What are the chances of Microsoft actually going with a PowerVR Rogue based GPU instead of an AMD solution, given that

• Imagination Technologies is a founding member of the HSA foundation - so combining AMD with ImgTec hardware shouldn't be too much of a stretch
  • PowerVR Rogue has some hardware aspects that match interestingly well with a lot of the rumours we've been hearing about Durango (especially the rumoured inclusion of ESRAM; sources insisting to refer to "shaders" rather than "CUs"; sources pointing out that Durango's GPU specs aren't directly comparable to Orbis' with respect to real-world performance; and so on)
  • With their "Caustic" group, ImgTec would even have the perfect match for the low-power dedicated raytracting chip rumoured to be part of Durango
  • ImgTec are obviously aiming for boxes beyond the mobile / low power market with their Rogue architecture (quotes taken from their above press release):
RoguePR said:
The PowerVR Series6 ‘Rogue’ architecture is based on a scalable number of compute clusters. This enables mobile computing platforms integrating PowerVR GPUs to be used for a growing range of applications from mobile to high performance embedded graphics including smartphones, tablets, ultra-portable laptops and PCs to automotive, STBs and smart TVs.

With PowerVR Series6 GPUs we’ve taken our patented tile-based deferred rendering (TBDR) technology and created a design that reaches from a 100 GFLOPS up to more than one TFLOPS of computing performance with significantly greater efficiency relative to our previous cores. This essentially means our partners will deliver platforms with compute capabilities comparable to current generation mains-powered games console but battery powered. Graphics performance has also seen a significant increase compared to previous generations, as Rogue cores are designed to ensure superior fill rates and shader performance for the latest high-resolution smartphones, tablets and TVs as well as multi-screen support for the automotive industry and demanding console-quality gaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seriously doubt it, I can't see Microsoft in 2009 asking for a GPU that's over a 100 times faster than anything they've released.

I seriously doubt it, I can't see Microsoft in 2009 asking for a GPU that's over a 100 times faster than anything they've released.

I wondered this some time back...I can see it as a possibility..just think its a long shot...who knows what a scaled rogue could do...Im quite sure the flops wouldnt be directly comparable...anyone with some insights into power vr uarch vs gcn?

With the greater ALU efficiency the ESRAM is supposed to provide, what are the chances the Durango CUs were re-designed with more vector units to take full advantage? There is nothing sacred about the current ratio of ROP:TEX:ALU especially if you can keep them all fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back