News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the problem for people like you who want to enjoy the full Kinect experience to get a package deal.
The problem is the lack of universal support, all the cool ideas -we talked about it later- people came up with til now, will be useless, and so would be Kinect. It'd become an useless gadget and only 3-4 niche games would actually support it.

Also, what ERP said.

Wow, I'm very surprised MS took this action. That's not like them. But I feel it was the best move for the platform going forward. They really took the worst beating I've seen in the court of public opinion. Personally I didn't have a problem with their choices, but a lot of folks did. I loved the Family Share plan. I'll be sorry to see it gone. My biggest problems with the platform was price & lack of backward compatibility. So I'm still going to have issues with that going forward & I'll still have to wait for a price drop before I buy it. But DRM & used gaming was never an issue for me. Hopefully this will turn things around & will help them keep from hemorrhaging any more. Can we now quit talking about that crap & talk about something else, PLEASE? LOL

Tommy McClain
I am subscribed to a newsfeed where updated news appear every single minute and I was used to see so many bad news and unfavourable headlines regarding the Xbox One that sometimes you felt like hiding under a rock for actually wanting one.

Maybe this will change, maybe not... but I suppose it will.

If they take Kinect our of the box it becomes valueless to me. I certainly wouldn't buy one, but I'm glad they put it in the box.

I think you're right. When today's DRM news started to break, I placed a pre-order for a X1. So now I have a PS4 and X1, I'm not going to buy both but with more time, I hope I can make a better decision post Gamescom/TGS.

Even though I hated Kinect 1, I liked some of the ideas that were presented about the new one (the fidelity or measuring heart rate). What MS didn't show at all at E3 (or at least to my satisfaction) was how kinect applies to a core gamer. I think they really failed on that front.

I want to be convinced that it has uses in core games. I'm not interested in manipulating my TV interface with it so I'm trying to decided is it worth the $100 dollar premium.

did they remove the Cloud feature or that has nothing to do with their internet policies?

They said game can still use cloud but those games would be online only.

I see very few games supporting this feature. Even fewer third party games. It going to see if these "features" get taken out of launch games.

I see very few games supporting this feature. Even fewer third party games. It going to see if these "features" get taken out of launch games.

I suspect it will be the other way around. And I think it will be that way on both platforms, with games requiring dedicated servers, either in MS's cloud or on publishers servers.

I think the strictly single player games are going to be in the minority and the others will make online an important part of even the single player experience.

they claim theyre as dedicated to cloud as ever

Though Microsoft has changed its stance on the digital rights management-based requirements for the Xbox One, the company remains committed to cloud computing.

"Our vision around Xbox One and what you can do because of the power of both the architecture of the console, and also the cloud and the Xbox Live service, remains unchanged," Xbox Chief Product Officer Marc Whitten told Joystiq.

too lazy to find joystiq link

I think Microsoft is grown up enough not to burn everything to the ground because they can't make the consoles phone home, or you know, just phone home for things that warrant it.

If anything, pushing the cloud can accomplish some of that anyway. It gives them a lever to nudge consumer behavior and encourage online buy-in, and why can't a specialized code module in the Azure service start comparing game serial numbers for duplicates?

So far every announced 3rd party exclusive on the Xbox One requires the cloud.

As well, a multiplatform game, The Division, is also online only on both platforms due to the use of the cloud or dedicated servers. You won't be able to play it offline on either the Xbox One or the PS4.

As with ERP, I think we'll be seeing more and more of this in the future. And the games available for people without an internet connection will get less and less.

Regards,
SB

I am genuinely pissed off at that the people over at GAF that bitched about the always online and used games policy. Microsoft is the only company that offered some form of innovation and I really don't get why a gamer wouldn't want that. Instead the ps4 is exactly like ps3 and Xbox One exactly like Xbox 360. Microsoft was the only company to try and move the gaming industry in a way that makes sense in a world with Google play and Appstore.

I hate that people think about the limitations of MS's policies rather than the potential. Fuck this.

Was GAF suddenly more persuasive than usual? It doesn't appear that forum warriors were able to convince Microsoft to overclock their SOC. At least not yet...

Maybe it's all those people that plunked money down on pre-orders who are at fault for choosing to spend said money on the PS4.

Or the horrendous PR.

Or the PR hit from angering some elements of the military.

Or generalized hostility from the smaller retailers that would probably be shut out in favor of Gamestop and the like.

Or poor people.

Or people in the boodocks.

Or people in any of the countries that fell off the edge of the Xbox One's world.

Or people who are family members/friends with/or actually are any of the above.

Or Jimmy Fallon.

Or they have a geek crush on Mark Cerny. I dunno.

They speak of "one time connection" to remove the DRM but wouldn't be better to ship the console with the update already on it?

I feel this thread ought to be zipped up again as another redundant general XB1 discussion thread. It's supposed to be about rumours, not general discussion which is held elsewhere.

Internal sales projections might have turned their vision, it saddens me, because people didn´t like moving forward in this digital world.

I think Sony has played safe, and in this twitter driven world, negative pr has derailed Ms strategy.

I do hope many of the new features survive this mess.

On a side note, funny how the very same journalists that moaned about DRM policies are the same that are now criticizing that Ms scrapped some of those features like sharing, instant game change and so on....

Internal sales projections might have turned their vision, it saddens me, because people didn´t like moving forward in this digital world.

I think Sony has played safe, and in this twitter driven world, negative pr has derailed Ms strategy.

I do hope many of the new features survive this mess.

On a side note, funny how the very same journalists that moaned about DRM policies are the same that are now criticizing that Ms scrapped some of those features like sharing, instant game change and so on....

I think that last statement is as narrow sighted as people who aren't looking forward to the digital future.

First, both consoles, regardless of what you prefer, are going to have robust and well supported digital distribution platforms. In fact, a major new technology both have are various streaming tech for games so they play while downloading.

If you were embracing the digital world, why are you lamenting the loss of a weird hokey system of buying a disc just to install it digitally? Wouldn't you be buying directly from the digital store and downloading it? Thus these changes would mean nothing to you. You're going to be able to take your digital library with you anywhere, with the new tech you'll be able to start playing much faster wherever you end up.

Second, consoles have always had a tradition of being media based. One of the major reasons why people bought consoles was that gaming on it was as simple as popping in that media and sitting back on the couch. It's not so easy to abandon those decades of tradition without backlash.

I think that last statement is as narrow sighted as people who aren't looking forward to the digital future.

First, both consoles, regardless of what you prefer, are going to have robust and well supported digital distribution platforms. In fact, a major new technology both have are various streaming tech for games so they play while downloading.

If you were embracing the digital world, why are you lamenting the loss of a weird hokey system of buying a disc just to install it digitally? Wouldn't you be buying directly from the digital store and downloading it? Thus these changes would mean nothing to you. You're going to be able to take your digital library with you anywhere, with the new tech you'll be able to start playing much faster wherever you end up.

Second, consoles have always had a tradition of being media based. One of the major reasons why people bought consoles was that gaming on it was as simple as popping in that media and sitting back on the couch. It's not so easy to abandon those decades of tradition without backlash.

Sharing of digital library with other people would have expanded your digital rights which is quite groundbreaking.

Yes, let´s be clear, new games are multi GB, disc based distribution is going to stay here for a while.

I want to see this instant play feature touted by Sony, and how translates into gameplay design. Has Ms planned something similar? I just read day one availability of Digital games.

I agree to some degree, but I think that there´s been an overreaction, an in some cases (i dare to say) that they´ve been remote-controlled...
(i don´t now if this expression is used in English)

Sharing of digital library with other people would have expanded your digital rights which is quite groundbreaking.

The latest on this is that those shared games were going to be in a demo mode and that there could be time limits associated with it. THIS makes sense. Sharing 1 game between 2 people and having 10 people share 1 library didn't. If used games are such a problem hacking away at the first weeks of sales with game sharing is bigger one.

pastbin release from unnamed MS employee just to be clear but it fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back