new Xbox2 Game tonight

As far as MMORGs go it looks alot better than World of Warcraft or Everquest2. It says alot when even a Korean developer is jumping on XNA.

Well, that was incredibly underwhelming.
It's not a Xenon exclusive (as TXB was claiming). Only 10% of the Xenon userbase will even be able to play it (assuming XBL numbers are similar for next gen). And the graphics look quite bland. I was expecting to be blown away by any and all next gen titles. This barely looks better than Painkiller

10% of current Xbox is around 2 million. 2 million for a mmorg is reall good :D

Riddlewire said:
The EA marketing department are the ones who invented the idea of "console exclusive". Exclusive is supposed to mean one single point of availability. Otherwise, there's no point in something being exclusive. If people can obtain the game for some other platform, then there's no reason for them to buy yours. TXB said it was 'Xenon Exclusive'. It's clearly not.

They never said "Xenon Exclusive", they just said no other next-gen console would see the game.

well I think the xna will bring alot of good games to pc that wouldn't have other wise. hopefully you can have pc vs console on lan as well that would be cool I just hope they dont try to bring xboxlive to the pc unless it's free :D

Riddlewire said:
The EA marketing department are the ones who invented the idea of "console exclusive". Exclusive is supposed to mean one single point of availability. Otherwise, there's no point in something being exclusive. If people can obtain the game for some other platform, then there's no reason for them to buy yours. TXB said it was 'Xenon Exclusive'. It's clearly not.

Did TXB say it was a Xenon Exclusive? I did not see the comment, but others are saying that TXB said it would not be on other consoles. Big difference.

Personally, I do not consider the PC and consoles the same market. They play games, but that is where similarities end. Input devices, output devices, place of play, etc... are all different. Because of this the types of games are quite different also. Most rabid PC gamers also have a console and tend to play very different games on the two platforms. So while there is overlap, PCs are not consoles and offering a game on the PC rarely hurts the PC because they are different demographics. It is a different ball game offering a PC/PS2 version of a game and offering a PS2/Xbox version. In the first situation the PC sales would hardly affect the PS2, but in the second there it some competition.

I hope all UE3 games don't have that "Shiny Brown" look. Seems like everything is brownish/sepia toned, and shiny when it shouldn't be.

Heh, this reminds me of a previous thread.
Compare these next gen images
huxely035506fs.jpg

Huxely02_550.jpg

With these this gen images
164262_full.jpg

164265_full.jpg

True, the other is a mmorpgfps with much more characters on screen and larger levels, and the other is a fighter with just two characters and small size levels. But there really is surprisingly little difference at least to the mainstream gamer's eyes.

well one is on development kits that aren't final hardware and the other is on hardware that is stretched to its limits .

rabidrabbit said:
Heh, this reminds me of a previous thread.
Compare these next gen images

True, the other is a mmorpgfps with much more characters on screen and larger levels, and the other is a fighter with just two characters and small size levels. But there really is surprisingly little difference at least to the mainstream gamer's eyes.

Honestly, I think the SC ones look dumpy side by side. The rendering quality, lighting, TEXTURES are just totally different class.

And when you compare the fact the SC game has small arenas with 2 characters and the MMO game has huge open worlds with dozens upon dozens of players on screen I think it is clear there is a magnitude of degrees in performance difference. I know you like the SC pics, but if you look closely the texture quality is poor and the lighting/shadowing and render quality is just light years behind. SC looks muddy and low quality compared to the clean, high poly MMO shots.

At least that is what my eyes are seeing. If you cannot tell I am ready for this gen to be over with ;)

That said I was not too impressed. It looks good, but it all looks static. I want FLOWING clothing, interctive environments, and lots of physics. True MMO games wont have that (hard to send a lot of physics data over the net), but the game looks like what it is: A new PC game.

The pics of Huxley and Condemned look kinda crappy. I can't see much difference between these pics and your typical Xbox/PS2 top tier game. The sharpness in these pics will be gone when most people display them on a non HD set. Lets face it, most people won't be playing Next gen games on HD TVs.

bleon said:
The pics of Huxley and Condemned look kinda crappy. I can't see much difference between these pics and your typical Xbox/PS2 top tier game. The sharpness in these pics will be gone when most people display them on a non HD set. Lets face it, most people won't be playing Next gen games on HD TVs.

I agree that I was not impressed, BUT you have to remember the Huxley shot looks a ton better than the SC shot. Both screenshots are the same size and I would expect that kind of differences. We also must remember the genre factor. MMO vs. fighter. The fact a first gen MMO is cleaning house compared to a great looking this gen fighter speaks well of the power of the systems.

As for the "most people won't be playing... on HD TVs" they are estimating that by 2009 there will be 55M HDTVs installed. And that still leaves 2-3 years left on the generation. HD TV growth will only get faster at that point.

And that also ignores the BR factor. A big selling point of the PS3 will be BR. People will want HD sets to use the new features. You take those factors and look at the fast dropping LCD prices (they are going to drop another 20-30% from now until the end of 2005) I think HD panels are going to be here, and here cheap, sooner than most expect. And there is always the fact that the new consoles will hook up to monitors and early adopters tend to have other high end stuff.

In all, I think HD is going to be used a lot more than people expect. Your poor gamers are not going to be the ones dropping $450 at launch for a system, 2 or 3 controllers, memory cards, 2 or 3 games, etc... early adopters are, and they are the ones with the HDTVs. And if the consoles scale well then even normal TV users will benefit. Kinda like TV footage. Yeah, it may only be a low res feed, but if the internal media is high quality you can really get a dramatic difference.

I'm looking forward to games built on UE3 but with different kinds of art directions. So far they are very alike and this Huxley MMOFPS looks like a MOD for Unreal Tournament 2005 or whatever.

Yes, the SCIII does look lower res, but to my eyes, the difference in polygon detail, especially in characters is very minimal.
I know, the other is a larger scale game and thus they really aren't comparable.
What I wanted to say is that if you compare for example Soul Blade on PSOne and for example the coming Unreal Championship II on xbox, the difference is much bigger than SCIII and that next gen xbox2 game, in characters and environments. I quess that just goes with the common presumption that the differences in graphics quality diminish as they get closer and closer to the "photographic quality".

On the other hand, if you compare the PSOne Soul Blade and a game like GTA:Vice City, the individual models in GTA could well be much worse quality than SB.

But then again, if you compare these next gen screens to the screens of Brute Force on xbox (not the actual gameplay screens, but like these which were widely believed to be from gameplay ;) ), the difference is even less :?
Now, imagine if a mainstream gamer compares these (non gameplay, PR render) Brute Force screens and those new screens, will he be impressed about the next gen?

Hmm.. I don't know what I'm trying to prove here... quess I'm just trolling a bit :oops:

Yes, in the announcement thread in the forums, he said "Xenon Exclusive", although he may have since altered that.

I don't understand why gaming websites allow publishers to get away with this doubletalk. Imagine if Barbara Walters had an exclusive interview with the first alien to visit Earth. But, it turned out that nearly every other television network also had an interview with the alien and were airing it at the same time. Obviously, you wouldn't consider Barbara's to be 'exclusive'. So, what if Barbara answered with, "Yes, but ours is 'Networks that start with the letter "A" exclusive'. No other television network whose acronym begins with the letter "A" has this interview!"

I don't feel like finishing up the rest of that, because it sounds so stupid while I'm reading it now. But, you can see where I'm going with it...

And I still think Huxley looks weak.

i dont really see how you can compare that and SC3. especially since one is a 3d fighter and the other is a MMo game. it looks good considering how many people it will prolly push on screen.

Mythos said:
jvd said:
well one is on development kits that aren't final hardware and the other is on hardware that is stretched to its limits .

..and how do you know this?
Isn't it obvious? He knows nothing, but likes to pretend that he does. Err, anyway, if this were an X360 game, do you honestly think Microsoft would allow them to show it this early? I doubt this company even has a developer license, let alone actual dev. kits.

That aside . . .

http://www.beyondunreal.com/daedalus/singlepost.php?id=7752

Back