New PS3 model to hit Europe for 399 EUR

Actually, just like on the 360, not all these games have demo modes...

Huh? All (80-90?) downloadable games on the 360 have a demo mode. You can download any game from XBLM without paying for it and play it. It automatically starts in demo mode. If you like it, you pay for it and it unlocks (you don't have to download a full version or something).

Agreed. And it's even better in games.

Yup.

Enjoy! Hope you like it.

Cheers and no doubt. :)

Huh? All (80-90?) downloadable games on the 360 have a demo mode. You can download any game from XBLM without paying for it and play it. It automatically starts in demo mode. If you like it, you pay for it and it unlocks (you don't have to download a full version or something).

Well I admit I haven't tried that many games, but I was sure there were one or two that didn't have demos, like Geometry Wars? Maybe I was wrong? I'll check sometime. If so, I apologise ... !

Well I admit I haven't tried that many games, but I was sure there were one or two that didn't have demos, like Geometry Wars? Maybe I was wrong? I'll check sometime. If so, I apologise ... !

Geometry wars most definitely has a demo. I don't know of any that don't have a demo but I can't say I've checked most of them even.

I'm pretty sure the demo thing is a TCR for XBLM games, but one of the devs can correct me on that...

GeoWars demo mode has a timer AFAIK. :)

It seems Sony doesn't want you to get rid of the trusty old PS2's and PSTwo's, maybe they even want to sell some more of those to households that already bought a PS3.

There's been rumours of a Wii type controller coming to PS2, which might or might not work with PS3. The new "PSWii" controller might not be compatible with the PS3 anyway.
Even if they were, it might be a good idea to keep the PS2 for the children's room.

It seems there'll still be the 60GB PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility in EU.
Only the 60GB "Starter PAck" with 2 games and 2 controllers will be discontinued
and it will be replaced by a 60GB "Value Pack" with 2 games and just one controller.

So, the backwards compatibility will still remain in the EU, and there will be 2 SKU's; 40GB without BC and 60GB with BC.

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=635#more-635
The existing Starter Pack will be replaced by a new Value Pack featuring a fully functioning 60GB PS3 with extensive backwards compatibility, a SIXAXIS wireless controller and two first party titles which will be offered at a price of £349. The 60GB model represents outstanding value for the keen gamer wishing to upgrade to the High Definition capabilities of PS3.

In my opinion Eurogamer and Kotaku are right, the 60gb will no longer be in production no matter it's starter or value pack.

I put a quote from eurogamer :
"The 60GB Starter pack will remain on sale until stocks run out (a number of months, depending on territory.) Thereafter, the 40GB model will be the only SKU in the SCEE region," said Nick Sharples, director of corporate communications in Europe, reports Kotaku.

I'd still trust the official PR, which says only the current "Starter Pack" will be "available until stocks run out", and the new 60GB "Value Pack" with BC will then be sold alongside the new 40GB PS3.

It even says so in the Gamedaily.biz article, that was quoted as a proof against:
He added, "For those who consider backwards compatibility important, the 60GB Starter Pack with extra SIXAXIS controller, two first party titles and extensive backwards compatibility remains available until stocks run out. With a 100 Euro price reduction from 10th October, this model is a real bargain.
....., the Starter Pack will be replaced by a separate in-store promotion on the 60GB PS3 the company noted. In the U.K. it will be replaced by a 60GB value pack at a price of £349."
There really is no doubt or question that the 60GB backwards compatible PS3 will still be sold in EU even after the "Starter Pack" has run out of stock. Don't know where you guys get that from...

Last edited by a moderator:
From the "thereafter, the 40GB model will be the only SKU in the SCEE region," said Nick Sharples"

That seems pretty clear.

Well, that does contradict the official PR, which I still believe to be more accurate than a quote from a spokesperson who might have got it wrong, or the eurogamer might have got it wrong.
It's there, written in letters, that leaves no question open whether there will be a 60GB version after the "Starter Pack" runs out.
There will be the 60GB "Value Pack".

Why would they introduce a new pack for 60GB if they intended to kill it after the "Starter Pack" runs out, that makes no sense and also would be out of line what Nick Sharples, a spokesperson said.

Sony has a bunch of 60GB ps3, they will clear the stock no matter witch packs or bundle they offer.
Repacking?

The statement is ubberly clear

Edit - Done with the edits... ;)

http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/news/.../Entertainment-like-you’ve-never-seen-before/

Once stocks are exhausted the new 40GB model will be the only one available in the SCEE territories.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28472/60GB-PS3-to-be-phased-out-in-Europe

We’re looking to sell our remaining 60GB stock, after which the 40GB model will be the only SKU available in Europe.

We anticipate that the 60GB stock should be available until Christmas, but of course it depends on how quickly it sells.

Loud and clear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Damnit. I don't want that 40 GB PS3! Maybe I'll have to get a PS3 sooner after all then....

Damnit. I don't want that 40 GB PS3! Maybe I'll have to get a PS3 sooner after all then....

Perhaps you should.

When we launched, we said we would focus on forward production rather than backwards-compatibility, but there was more of a need for backwards-compatibility six months ago. So, from here on in, there are no plans for backwards-compatibility in PlayStation products.
http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=636#more-636

Pretty unambiguous.

Ugh, same conversation in two different threads. These official news threads are pretty annoying that way. I'll...um...close the other one and leave this one open is it's here that redirects from the news item I think.

Anyway, my point was, a 40GB only SKU?! :oops: Is there something going on with HDDs that we're all utterly oblivious to? If it costs no more to add an 80GB HDD, and you'll have more room to sell stuff, and run that digital recording that's supposed to be coming out next year... I can see why they needa smaller HDD to make the box 'cheaper' than the 60GB, which they want to phase out, but then they're left with a restricted box. This whole multiple SKU thing is just plain sucky! Confusing and overcomplicating, especially with features coming and going.

There's been rumours of a Wii type controller coming to PS2, which might or might not work with PS3.
There's a 3rd party device. The lack of any official showing from Sony this year makes me sceptical. If not trading this Christmas, Wii momentum won't be touched, and next year it'll likely be irrelevant.

Back