[new]Phil Harrison interview

m4trix said:
"the Xbox 360 doesn't play high definition movies and doesn't have true HD functionality - PlayStation 3 is the only format that has 1080-progressive, which is the true definition of HD, so it's really premature to be talking about the HD era. The HD era really only starts when we are on the market."

Nice ass hole of Sony. So my brand new 2000$ Sony HDTV is not "really" a HDTV even thought it says to right in front of my tv. This guy is full of shit.
You didnt get his point.

The XBOX360 doesnt do much about making High Definition more mainstreem and neither there is anything currently in the market establishing HD broader.

Also HDTVs arent popular yet and neither do most consumers get fully the advandages it can offer yet.

The PS3 will be the first console to support HD movies, games and features all at the same time by including BR-disc functionality and at highest resolution(not necessarily games).Judging by forecasts if their estimations are correct PS3 will be the first device with HD features to be broadly established meaning in big numbers in the consumers' household including consumers that didnt necessarily wanted HD and that otehrwise wouldnt have had an HD device of any kind in there homes.

This will make more people show interest to HD and offer the chance to HDTV owners to get the most out of their TVs.

PS3 sales are estimated to increase support for BR which will increase usage and support for HD movies which will increase usage and support for HD players which will increase support and usage of HDTVs which will help consumers get the most out of this technology.

This hasnt happened yet

Nesh said:
You didnt get his point.

The XBOX360 doesnt do much about making High Definition more mainstreem and neither there is anything currently in the market establishing HD broader.

Also HDTVs arent popular yet and neither do most consumers get fully the advandages it can offer yet.

The PS3 will be the first console to support HD movies, games and features all at the same time by including BR-disc functionality and at highest resolution(not necessarily games).Judging by forecasts if their estimations are correct PS3 will be the first device with HD features to be broadly established meaning in big numbers in the consumers' household including consumers that didnt necessarily wanted HD and that otehrwise wouldnt have had an HD device of any kind in there homes.

This will make more people show interest to HD and offer the chance to HDTV owners to get the most out of their TVs.

PS3 sales are estimated to increase support for BR which will increase usage and support for HD movies which will increase usage and support for HD players which will increase support and usage of HDTVs which will help consumers get the most out of this technology.

This hasnt happened yet

Truth be told the HD era in that case doesn't really strat until all the TV channels send their programs at 1080p. That is they way to definitely make the best use of your HDTV, especially for the masses as most don't buy/rent too many movies and play games rather watch just normal TV...

scooby_dooby said:
99.99999% of the HDTV installed base can not accept a 1080p signal. I wonder how they feel about being told it's not 'true' HD.

It's really not a valid point when you consider the actual installed base of HDTV's, and look realistically at the # of true 1080p TV's which you could probably count on 1 hand.

HD is 1080i or 720p, current 1080p TV's take a 1080i signal and de-interlace it, what's more they can't even accept a 1080p signal even if you have a 1080p source. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until MS releases it's HDMI cable as well.

Sorry but the point is completely lost on me

Why do you take things so personally, Phil Harrison WILL OF COURSE mention EVERY thing that PS3 does better/support that the X360 doesnt.

Well said Nesh, I do admire people who have common sense and can put things in well intelligible way (that I usually am unable to do).

m4trix said:
So my brand new 2000$ Sony HDTV is not "really" a HDTV even thought it says to right in front of my tv. This guy is full of shit.

Really?? a plasma/projector with a SDTV resoluion is HDTV becuase it can accept the signal?? ANY tv that has'nt got a MINUNUM resolution of 1280x720 is NOT true high def regardless of if it says HDready on the front.

Bill said:
BORING.

Sony has a correct marketing hook about tru Hi Def. Let em have it.

He also says PSP is outselling DS, period.
Interesting.

November hardware sales:

Japan:

DS - 449,709
PSP - 249,202

US:

DS - 369,012
PSP - 353,434

Phil Harrison talks crap shocker! :LOL:

It would be well appreciated if those sales numbers were always provided with a link to the original source... you know, just for credibility ;)

Yeah I would have but I'd have to link to numerous threads at GAF for the Japanese numbers (4 weekly threads combined). The US numbers are in Beyond3D's own November NPD thread.

scooby_dooby said:
that's fine, but these are game consoles after all. If I'm gaming in HD, and it looks great, then the HD era is here.

"PlayStation 3 is the only format that has 1080-progressive, which is the true definition of HD, so it's really premature to be talking about the HD era. The HD era really only starts when we are on the market."

Sorry but that's retarded. 1080p is now the only true HD? HD Gaming started Nov 22. HD Movie playback starts in spring when BR & HD-DVD standalone players launch. Nothing really 'starts' when PS3 hits the market.

In fact HD gaming started on PC and it was not on Nov 22,the xbox 360 did now what PC had been doing already,in that way those words are not better than Phills ones.

Even thatall this is PR crap by both companys,MS was the one who bring this on them self,they were the ones screaming all over HD era,cuz they din't know the PS3 could do all those resolutions and even more.

When they found out on E3 they star it with damage control to flame sony for having 1080p,basicaly the same escuse use by many here,there is no much suport for 1080p out there,but if you see well not even half of the TV's out there is HD,even so that din't stop MS from sending Ati to say that the xbox 360 could also do 1080p even that is not liste on the specs.

The same happen with the Teraflop MS say,then when Sony say 2 teraflops there were mighty pist.

Is mostly a PR battle,in fact on the lates OPM that has the enterview with J Allard,they ask him what are the benefits and the pitfals of releasing first.

And he say that is though cuz you don't know what the other guy is doing,and that sony has been very good at not telling any one anything about the PS3.

If you read most of things MS say,always when MS go to speak of the war they are quick to point sony's lack of online plans due to the fact that Sony hasn't come foward and say here is a service like live,and it realy has MS dieing to know the way i see it.

They had many times try to trick Sony into saying what their online plans realy are.

Cuz a PR about and online service on Sony's side will be catastrofict for live,more if there are free download and live like service free.

But in all fairness non is better than the other when it comes to PR,is the fact that casuals fall for Sony's one more than for MS one.

Guys, read a bit more carefully:

High definition as far as the consumer is concerned means high definition movies, which means Blu-ray disc, and that is the reason that people will buy high definition display coupled with a player that is capable of playing movies and games, which is obviously PlayStation 3.

Bill said:
BORING.

Sony has a correct marketing hook about tru Hi Def. Let em have it.

He also says PSP is outselling DS, period.
Interesting.

And where exactly does he say the PSP is outselling the DS?

From what I read and understood, he said the PSP was the fastest-selling handheld.

Teasy said:
November hardware sales:

Japan:

DS - 449,709
PSP - 249,202

US:

DS - 369,012
PSP - 353,434

What about Europe? Phil Harrison is SCEE after all... ;)

You guys are arguing and bickering over the words of a PR hat. *Yaaawwwwnnn!* How boring and pointless, surely you all know that the job of a PR hat is to bullshit people. That what he says is a load of tosh is pretty much the default. No need to get so up in arms over it.

Somebody wakes me up when sony starts walking the walk instead of just talking the talk. ;)

Teasy said:
November hardware sales:

Japan:

DS - 449,709
PSP - 249,202

US:

DS - 369,012
PSP - 353,434

How about posting numbers for each handheld for each month since they launched? How can you determine it is crap talk if you only post one month? He's not talking about outselling the DSD in overall sales. Go read the quote again.

So what does "PSP is outselling DS, period" mean then Synergy34? The numbers I posted are for the whole of last month in two of the three big regions so I'd say that's already enough to disprove that comment. Unless Harrison didn't actually say that (wether in that exact quote or in so many words), in which case blame Bill :)

Last edited by a moderator:
In one sense he's right. Within the next 5 years most HDTVs bought will be 1080p.

This is where Sony has their advantage. They know what's coming in consumer electronics so they can make sure their system wont seem obsolete 3 years from now.

Except that being connected to a 1080p TV still won't make the PS3/RSX any more capable of rendering at that resolution any more than it will be able to at launch.

I would have to agree that for a game console, I don't see what difference it makes to support 1080p video playback if you can't render games at that resolution. Standalone BR players will be much cheaper, and vastly more widespread than the PS3.

Seems like a marketing ploy. I can't think of one real advantage supporting 1080p gives the PS3.

Bigus Dickus said:
Except that being connected to a 1080p TV still won't make the PS3/RSX any more capable of rendering at that resolution any more than it will be able to at launch.

I would have to agree that for a game console, I don't see what difference it makes to support 1080p video playback if you can't render games at that resolution. Standalone BR players will be much cheaper, and vastly more widespread than the PS3.

Seems like a marketing ploy. I can't think of one real advantage supporting 1080p gives the PS3.

Support is always good. And it's always good to have BR movies running at 1080p than at 720p, as a future-proofing system.

It's not an advantage that will change this world, but the support being there is a positive thing, hardly a disadvantage. 1080p does afterall have twice the number of pixels of 720p.

It will take time for people to get 1080p panels, but it will also take time for new HD formats like HDDVD and Bluray to become widespread, apart from playback on PS3.

Back