[new]Phil Harrison interview

Yeah it's a good read - Phil Harrison's a cool guy.

Not really anything new or blockbuster in there, but a good refresher as to the state of things right now in Camp Sony.

"the Xbox 360 doesn't play high definition movies and doesn't have true HD functionality - PlayStation 3 is the only format that has 1080-progressive, which is the true definition of HD, so it's really premature to be talking about the HD era. The HD era really only starts when we are on the market."

Nice ass hole of Sony. So my brand new 2000$ Sony HDTV is not "really" a HDTV even thought it says to right in front of my tv. This guy is full of shit.

"The HD era really only starts when we are on the market."

...This guys is smoking allot of weed. lol

Yeah, good read indeed. Not really much juicy info as i would like but its interesting how things are going, especially on the europe front. Seems every region is just a little bit more important this time around, and seems Europe gained a lot of respect in the gaming market.

Every country would love to have the ps3 launched first in their region. It truly depends on the timing, how much they can make, and what launch titles they can deleiver in each region.

The HD era really only starts when we are on the market.
oooooh, little harsh? :p I wonder what J allard and Peter Moore feel about that.

thx for the link, DigitalSoul.

M4trix if you want to focus on the PR nonsense that all of the gaming sites would love to bring to your attention in order to drive traffic, go ahead. I didn't see anything Harrison said that would warrant anyone getting upset over. Certainly if MS wants to come out with some statement saying that rendering at 1080p is BS, I could care less.

I think people like you who feel personally attacked by these comments in a way that Allard himself assuredly does not... I think you guys need to calm down a little. It's just PR babble made possible by the hype that was the 'HD Era' talk.

Take the interview for what it is, not what it isn't.

PS - I'm sure Allard and Moore laughed at Harrison's comments. Enemies or allies, all these guys are part of the same club, and I see things as being very cordial between them all on a personal level. It's only the forum ******s and sensationalist gaming sites that see fire where there is none.

Last edited by a moderator:
m4trix said:
"the Xbox 360 doesn't play high definition movies and doesn't have true HD functionality - PlayStation 3 is the only format that has 1080-progressive, which is the true definition of HD, so it's really premature to be talking about the HD era. The HD era really only starts when we are on the market."

Nice ass hole of Sony. So my brand new 2000$ Sony HDTV is not "really" a HDTV even thought it says to right in front of my tv. This guy is full of shit.

I thought he did, and to m4trix defense he did not mention MS at all in his statement.

BORING.

Sony has a correct marketing hook about tru Hi Def. Let em have it.

He also says PSP is outselling DS, period.
Interesting.

Bill said:
In the sense its the fastest selling, yeah it outsells the DS, if you go this route it even outsells the ps2. but definately not in total numbers. please correct me if im wrong on that.

Bill said:
BORING.

Sony has a correct marketing hook about tru Hi Def. Let em have it.

Interesting.

99.99999% of the HDTV installed base can not accept a 1080p signal. I wonder how they feel about being told it's not 'true' HD.

It's really not a valid point when you consider the actual installed base of HDTV's, and look realistically at the # of true 1080p TV's which you could probably count on 1 hand.

HD is 1080i or 720p, current 1080p TV's take a 1080i signal and de-interlace it, what's more they can't even accept a 1080p signal even if you have a 1080p source. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until MS releases it's HDMI cable as well.

Sorry but the point is completely lost on me

Bad_Boy said:
In the sense its the fastest selling, yeah it outsells the DS, if you go this route it even outsells the ps2. but definately not in total numbers. please correct me if im wrong on that.
Well, all we get are estimates from a select few countries. Hard to say. What we can conclude is they are both selling well.

scooby_dooby said:
99.99999% of the HDTV installed base can not accept a 1080p signal. I wonder how they feel about being told it's not 'true' HD.

It's really not a valid point when you consider the actual installed base of HDTV's, and look realistically at the # of true 1080p TV's which you could probably count on 1 hand.

HD is 1080i or 720p, current 1080p TV's take a 1080i signal and de-interlace it, what's more they can't even accept a 1080p signal even if you have a 1080p source. I'm sure it's only a matter of time until MS releases it's HDMI cable as well.

Sorry but the point is completely lost on me

I see it more as, PS3 is a hi def games AND movies source. X360 is only hi def games.

The 1080P vs 720P stuff is not important, in my opinion. For games, anyway. Heck I think a argument can be made that 720P is overkill for games currently, see PGR3 rendering at 576P as an example. 1080P for games is a non starter.

Guys the last one-fifth of the interview is composed of the 'HD-Era' question. Why is everyone obsessed with that part of the interview? Obviously the words coming out of Harrison's mouth don't mean anything on that subject. But to be fair, neither did Allard's when he announced the 'HD Era' to begin with.

I really wonder if PS3 will have enough graphics power to render complex scenes at 1080p with good frame rates (especially with FSAA).. I mean first of all 1080p has x2.25 more pixels than 720p on screen. On the top of that RSX does not have any embedded ram, and will only have 128 bit bus for frame buffer access which it will also need to share for texture access.. Sure color/z compression would help some, but it won't be as efficient as Xenon's design (especially for AA)... I do not know, but I highly doubt that RSX has that much power compared to Xenon.

Well, it's very possible 1080p lcd front projectors and rptv's will be down on affordable level next year ($2000), so if PS3 is a 1080p machine, I can see it riding the "true HD" wave.
Yet they aren't, but neither is the PS3 here yet ;)

Bill said:
I see it more as, PS3 is a hi def games AND movies source. X360 is only hi def games.

that's fine, but these are game consoles after all. If I'm gaming in HD, and it looks great, then the HD era is here.

"PlayStation 3 is the only format that has 1080-progressive, which is the true definition of HD, so it's really premature to be talking about the HD era. The HD era really only starts when we are on the market."

Sorry but that's retarded. 1080p is now the only true HD? HD Gaming started Nov 22. HD Movie playback starts in spring when BR & HD-DVD standalone players launch. Nothing really 'starts' when PS3 hits the market.

I was shown this TV (in the form of a link) by someone earlier. It looks to be 1080p through HDMI :D Priced at $4999.99 though....:(

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-anRDRD...p?g=147350&id=essential_info&i=319MD6580N#Tab

Crutchfield on HP Pavillion MD6580 said:
1080p Resolution: The advanced 1080p display produces about 2 million pixels on screen, which is more than twice that of a conventional 720p display. This allows 1920x1080i signals to be displayed without scaling down the image to 1280x720. By simply de-interlacing the full 1080i signal, this display keeps the full image detail.

1080p Input: Unlike most current 1080p displays, the md6580n will accept a 1080p (progressive) input signal via the HDMI and component video jacks. Both 24 and 30 frames/second rates are supported.

HDMI Inputs (1&2): In addition to the HDMI jack, the HDMI 2 input has stereo RCA audio inputs. The HDMI jacks can accommodate copy-protected digital connections (HDCP) to other devices (such as digital set-top boxes) that have compatible interfaces. If you want to connect a DVI-compatible device, you will need an HDMI-to-DVI adapter cable. The HDMI jacks will accept 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.

silhouette said:
I really wonder if PS3 will have enough graphics power to render complex scenes at 1080p with good frame rates (especially with FSAA).. I mean first of all 1080p has x2.25 more pixels than 720p on screen. On the top of that RSX does not have any embedded ram, and will only have 128 bit bus for frame buffer access which it will also need to share for texture access.. Sure color/z compression would help some, but it won't be as efficient as Xenon's design (especially for AA)... I do not know, but I highly doubt that RSX has that much power compared to Xenon.

Exactly.

Well, it's not that it couldn't render complex scenes, it's that the graphics would be that much better at 720P. Why handicapp yourself?

720P is a good middle ground. Sony will be there just like MS (if not lower).

Are BR movies to be 1080p, downscaled to lesser resolutions for <1080p displays?
If so, and if BR is to become the HD movie content standard, then it is indeed true 1080p is the "true HD".
Majority (all?) of TV programmes will still be 720p, but if movies will be 1080p, then it depends on your preference which for you is the "true HD".
To me it would be 1080p.
Still, it would be another matter if I would go for the "true HD" or settle for the 720p, that pretty much depends how long I am willing to postpone my HD display purchase.
If I buy a 720p device now, I don't think I'd lose that much (unless I go for some over expensive plasma or lcd, which imo would be stupid considering we're pretty much at a breaking point when it comes to display tech, an affordable 720p front projector imo would be the most sensible option if one needs a big screen HD display now) as 720p is still much better than 480p, and as most 720p I believe can accept 1080p signal, only they show it as interlaced 1080i (I might be totaly wrong, please correct if so) I wouldn't lose that much.

rabidrabbit said:
Are BR movies to be 1080p, downscaled to lesser resolutions for <1080p displays?
Yes.
TV's will broadcast in 1080p when network bandwidth is greater and/or more advanced compression schemes are used. It is the future format, and a great PR bulletpoint. Trying to undermine it is just sour-grapes on peoples behalfs.

Back