New Oblivion PS3 Screens + Info

Nope, it doesnt require tiling, it requires tiling to get 60fps.

That's wrong - a 4xAA framebuffer wouldn't fit on the EDRAM, even 2XAA at 720p requires too much memory.

30 or 60 fps have nothing to do with framebuffer memory requirements.

If Xenos is doing 720p with either 2 or 4x MSAA it wouldn't be using the edram so yeah, damn right it would be slow!

If you want to use the edram, you either need to tile, drop the resolution, or drop the MSAA regardless of the target framerate.

You can't render on the X360 without using the EDRAM, as that's where the ROPS are and where they're writing completed pixels.
You use the EDRAM even when you turn on AA at 720p - but you have to tile the framebuffer as it wouldn't fit into the memory in a single piece.

Boys, read that article please, I can't believe you're still not getting it right.

Well Oblivion might have 4xAA on the 360 - in 480p mode (though if i remember right it even got visible jaggies in this mode).
But definately it is far from 4xAA in 720p or 1080i mode. I can show you a screenshot with loads of jaggies from my TV set (Bravia 50" 720p mode), just look at the grass or the rock on the left.

The grass is using an alpha masked texture which does not get anything from multisample AA. Try checking out polygon edges instead of texture pixels.

Looks to me like Bethesda figured out how to make better texture maps. Finally. :)

Too bad Oblivion didn't remotely reach what it was hyped to be. It's not a terrible game though. There are just a few horribly tragic design decisions and limitations caused by its open non-linear nature. The problems with the game are really obviously caused by the inability to create real thinking AI, but hey that's kinda like impossible though so lol!

I'm started to want to play the game again though. After letting it sit for about 6 months now.

Its not something to get all *omg its the third time i link this* because its really doesnt mean anything in particular in this case, simply because framerate would suck at higher AA levels.

I guess you didn't understand what the ":p" was doing at the end of the sentence. Get a grip.

;)

If Xenos is doing 720p with either 2 or 4x MSAA it wouldn't be using the edram so yeah, damn right it would be slow!

If you want to use the edram, you either need to tile, drop the resolution, or drop the MSAA regardless of the target framerate.

I'm really not even sure it's possible to bypass the EDRAM in 360, even if you wanted too. In fact I'm pretty sure it's not. The rops are in there for one.

You can't render on the X360 without using the EDRAM, as that's where the ROPS are and where they're writing completed pixels.
You use the EDRAM even when you turn on AA at 720p - but you have to tile the framebuffer as it wouldn't fit into the memory in a single piece.

Boys, read that article please, I can't believe you're still not getting it right.

Ah thanks for the correction. I didn't relaise that the 360 couldn't just render to main memory if the edram wasn't being used. So you literally NEED tiling if you are going to run at 720p and any MSAA.

Then I guess the big question is is how easy is it to implement tiling and would it be implemented for games which are ported from the PC or developed on PC like engines like Gears of War.

What im getting at is are there a lot of games on 360 running without AA or at less than 720p or are most games using tiling.....?

Didnt realize that.

But, Oblivion on the x360 definately has some kind of AA. So how does it do it then ?

(it looks smoother than 99% of all other x360 games i have), granted its a little hard to spot jaggies, due to it being a plasma and not a LCD

For reference :

Xbox 360 screenshot taken off a TV screen:

PS3 version is clearly better, although the 360 version does look to have deeper colours but thats mainly due to the fact that its taken from a TV and not 360's framebuffer. Also from looking at the ground near the wooden steps it looks as though PS3 version has a higher amount of texture filtering enabled compared to the 360 version.

And for completeness:

Oblivion360.jpg

PS3 screenshot is from the framebuffer.

OblivionPS3.jpg

Oblivion_PC.jpg

Note the additional background objects (boulders, structires etc...) and also the improved ground texture. Of course the PC version doesn't look like this out of the box but it sure demonstrates the power of modding nicely :smile:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_PC.jpg

And for completeness:

Oblivion360.jpg

PS3 screenshot is from the framebuffer.

OblivionPS3.jpg

Oblivion_PC.jpg

Note the additional background objects (boulders, structires etc...) and also the improved ground texture. Of course the PC version doesn't look like this out of the box but it sure demonstrates the power of modding nicely :smile:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/pjbliverpool/Oblivion_PC.jpg

They should have made it possible to mod for the xbox360 version (keep same memory footprint but repaint or resize and use diffferent compression method). Neverthless as you say the mods are what makes the PC version look fantastic. Such things as the distant texture mod (the one you and I have, the best!), parallax effect on almost all textures, heavy tweaks in the ini file with such things as 8xlightsource draw distance, normal map draw distance 4x and so on (But the VRAM usage is about 600MB!).....:idea:

They should have made it possible to mod for the xbox360 version (keep same memory footprint but repaint or resize and use diffferent compression method). Neverthless as you say the mods are what makes the PC version look fantastic. Such things as the distant texture mod (the one you and I have, the best!), parallax effect on almost all textures, heavy tweaks in the ini file with such things as 8xlightsource draw distance, normal map draw distance 4x and so on (But the VRAM usage is about 600MB!).....:idea:

I think my version is pretty much modded to capacity now. Even with the standard ini (plus water tweaks) as seen in that screenshot im averaging about 20fps in heavy foliage outdoors on my GTS. Its playable and much faster in other places but I wouldn't want it to go any lower.

I think my version is pretty much modded to capacity now. Even with the standard ini (plus water tweaks) as seen in that screenshot im averaging about 20fps in heavy foliage outdoors on my GTS. Its playable and much faster in other places but I wouldn't want it to go any lower.

I see but I'll bet you are playing with high resoultion. I play with 1024x768 to get it to hover around 22fps outside with lows in the 15 and highs in the 25 and of course inside it is almost always above 30fps.

"Rumors were rampant about the reasons behind the lack of downloadable
content. Other websites have reported that the justification behind the
missing missions and features was due to technical limitations of the
console. According to Hines, nothing could be farther from the truth.
There were two specific reasons behind why items like the Orrery and
Mehrunes's Razor will not be included within the PS3 version of the
game. First of all, there was a concern about the balancing of the game
and initially giving players access to a thieves den or a wizard's
tower immediately at the start of the game. "There was no good way to
incorporate these features into the game as soon as it started because
it didn't make sense," Hines said. While he didn't rule out the
possibility of some of these side quests or features making it into the
game, it wouldn't necessarily be as soon as the game hit store shelves."

Link

Well Oblivion might have 4xAA on the 360 - in 480p mode (though if i remember right it even got visible jaggies in this mode).
But definately it is far from 4xAA in 720p or 1080i mode. I can show you a screenshot with loads of jaggies from my TV set (Bravia 50" 720p mode), just look at the grass or the rock on the left.
:???: Might that be some kind of scaling artifact? Here's what it looked like on a small Samsung LCD TV (1360x768 via VGA):

Patrick Stewart
Fighting
Out doors

My camera isn't great but I think you can just about discern the AA in these.

Not to beat the same drum over and over, but man it's more fun to mod the game than it is to play it.

Back