NEW Lair Screens Plus Interview!

Yeah, there are tons of things going on, but HDR is overused (the bridge at times looks like made of gold) and textures aren't too great (and you can see it even on the off-screen video). Generally the art design isn't consistent and now I have a feeling that Factor 5 wanted just to use the biggest possible amount of graphical features while not caring about beauty of the game. That's why Im disappointed.

Yeah, the bridge is washed out, and relatively low-res texture wise. The dragons, water, and mountains look great though. Animation need to be smoothed out in some parts also.

And you are right that the art-design is somewhat inconsistent; that is a problem Factor 5 have had for a long time.

In the end I expect that the game will end up like the Rogue Squadron games; great-looking for the most part with some parts that are just unbelievable, and with other parts being atypically ugly.

Yeah, there are tons of things going on, but HDR is overused (the bridge at times looks like made of gold) and textures aren't too great (and you can see it even on the off-screen video). Generally the art design isn't consistent and now I have a feeling that Factor 5 wanted just to use the biggest possible amount of graphical features while not caring about beauty of the game. That's why Im disappointed.

I disagree, on this video it is too hard to determine the texture quality, especially in this light. Also, maybe the bridge is actually golden? :D

Erm i missed that video...

Me too, I have only seen a couple new shots, specifically the one of the bridge stands out.

WTF are people talking about? This game looks horrible. The lighting is awful, the textures are awful... Almost every single nextgen game we've seen so far is better than this.

Agreed.

Yeah, the bridge is washed out, and relatively low-res texture wise. The dragons, water, and mountains look great though. Animation need to be smoothed out in some parts also.

Yeah, the bridge stood out horrendously. The dragons look ok, but not as good as past footage, and not nearly as many. Before it had hundreds of even higher quality ones.

Still a long ways away, but definately going in the wrong directions from the previous realtime stuff.

I don't care about translucent dragon wings or nice waves. There are serious fundamental artistic problems with the looks of this game, starting with the lighting and the shaders, which ruin everything. It looks as bad as the first CG animations in games from the early '90s. It's simply ugly, like they've fired their art director or something.

I can't believe anyone is complaining about the animations. The dragon and it's wings move beautifully in flight. The ocean waves and flag animation also looked great IMO. I agree the lighting is harsh in parts, and the dragon melee sequence looked pretty stiff... but for the most part I love what I see so far. Screenshots don't do it a lick of justice.

I'm just absolutely puzzled as to what happened to the shaders?? It looks like they're using one texture layer onmost surfaces, PS2-style! What is wrong? We've had decent shading techniques since the Xbox!

keep in mind the game is only 35% complete and we already got this huge amount of details, i expect nothing but perfection at its 100%.

I just got done watching the video. It was "ok". The water looks beautiful as was commented on earlier. The dragons and bride look so-so. The HDR is overdone. Would probably be easier to spot more flaws with a direct feed. I'm going to reserve final judgement until the game is further along in development, things can change rather quickly at this stage.

Nite_Hawk

Hmmmm....I like the water...:)

1080p? Can you say Cell bound?

If the PS3 is CPU bound, I imagine you'll see much more 1080p games....could be wrong though.....;)

Well i've seen the video now and it might be a crappy quality video, but i am still very much not impressed. Say what u you want but this game went from looking super-slick-cool to a very simplistic one. Shame.

The game is 35% complete and they wrote everything from scratch.

I still say it looks good to me already especially considering this.

Back