New Crackdown Screens

Sounds like 3D Mario.

It's most reminiscent of the latest Inrcedible Hulk games.

The really cool thing about crackdown is you start out fairly regular, with a slow running speed and small jump, so when you begin to level up the feeling of power is just great.

At the beginning of the game, you couldn't even imagine jumping across an entire building or street, and then as you get more stars you start to look at jumps like "Ya..I could do that" and when you so leap like 200feet through the air, and make the jump it feels really cool. It just gives you a great sense of power, I guess because you experience the whole transition from normal to super hero.

Are we able to pull back the camera in the game? I find that having the camera so close to my character makes jumping up buildings kinda hard (as I can't see).

Sounds like 3D Mario.
There are 3d Marios...

When you start out you're not able to jump a full floor but once you do the first agility upgrade, your whole mode of transportation changes. Can you imagine looking in the horizon in the direction of your target and wondering what path to take by looking at how high the rooftops are?

I orgasmed.

Plus, when you upgrade strength, firearms, and explosives you can take out dozens of enemies in a street in under 30 seconds. Everything scales very perfectly.

Driving skill (which I got to %100 eventually in the demo) has been the least useful so far because you use it so little.

Plus there's the amazing art style, it has a ton of colors and the areas have a lot of variety. Some ground textures but everything looks very realisitcally unpredictable.

I didn't find any problem with the camera but I play a lot of platformers and this basically plays like a Zelda with a jump button and a lot of awesome abilities.

I honestly hope Nintendo looks at this when making the next Zelda.

After playing the demo for this game, I've realized that this will be the first game I actually purchase for my X360... and I've had the system since Thanksgiving last year. :D

Computer and Videogames Review: 8.7

But Crackdown is different. It's the first free-roamer that's really got inside our heads. We can't nip round town anymore without imagining the million ways that we could scale that Starbucks Cafι. It's reinvigorated our love for climbing trees. It's made us believe there ain't no mountain high enough, as long as we keep practicing our leaps. Crackdown, believe it or not, makes GTA's world (and, by proxy, our world) look stunted, boring and limited. Let's put it this way. In 1997, Real Time Worlds' Dave Jones invented GTA. In 2007, he re-invented it.
That's quite some claim, so we should probably quantify it. Crackdown isn't as good as Vice City or San Andreas - in fact, far from it. But it's probably the first GTA clone that isn't a GTA clone, if you get what we mean - all the wannabes we've played since we first leapt out of that burning police convoy in Liberty City all those years ago - from True Crime to Saints Row to Just Cause - this is the first one that doesn't feel like it's a 'me too' tribute to Rockstar's finest. It's got its own unique structure, its own unique progression tree and its own unique style. It's not a GTA clone at all, in fact - it's one of the first to treat the free-form urban city as a genre rather than something to be aped. What follows is something of such vision and ambition that it's no surprise that the final product is a bit of a patchwork of very good and slightly bad.
And the Conclusion:
What cuts it short of true greatness is that it's almost a bit TOO experimental - perhaps it would have benefited from a more traditional storyline structure, because as good as Crackdown is, you do find yourself yearning for some direction at times. But like Tony Hawk and friends, just existing in Crackdown's world is enough. A wonderful sandbox title that branches off from the GTA tree rather than feeding off it; when you set off a huge chain reaction of barrels, you'll see the game Saints Row wished it was. When you climb to the top of the Agency HQ and peer down at the world, you'll see the game Just Cause could never be. And every so often, you'll see another moment of brilliance; a reminder of the game you want GTA IV to be.

I have to agree with that review, although I might have scored it a little higher overall. The game is fun as hell, the graphics are actually quite good in motion, and the replayability is extremely high. I haven't tried co-op yet, but I can only imagine how much fun that would add to the game. I do wish the game had some sort of story to it, I do wish it was a little more ordered at times, and I do wish that targeting enemies was a little bit easier. With all this said, however, I also know that despite all these little gripes I can't seem to stop playing the demo!

yea, at first I was not interested at all (thought it was a GTA clone) then I thought, ok, I'll buy it for the Halo3 beta and sell it... NOW... after playing it....?

Feb 20th can not come soon enough to play this bad boy. :love::runaway:

I play the demo nearly every day. :rolleyes:

The precision targeted shooting, the driving, the jumping, the skill leveling, the HUGE world with a great frame rate and brilliant draw distance, the explosions, the destructible environments... man.

You guys probably going to flame me for this...but with all these great titles coming out on the 360...doesn't it feel like back in the days of DreamCast? DreamCast was a great system. It was getting some awesome and unique titles...just before it failed miserably.

And yes Crackdown is a must buy for me...I just wish for 4 player co-op instead of just 2.

You guys probably going to flame me for this...but with all these great titles coming out on the 360...doesn't it feel like back in the days of DreamCast? DreamCast was a great system. It was getting some awesome and unique titles...just before it failed miserably.

And yes Crackdown is a must buy for me...I just wish for 4 player co-op instead of just 2.

Lot of differences..Dreamcast didn't have microsoft' dollars behind it..Dreamcast was supposedly clearly graphically weaker than PS2 also (though I never saw it when they were both out at the same time..)Xb360..can be considered the PS3's equal graphically.

I'm not very interested in Crackdown. However, I'll probably have to get it for the Halo demo.

Actually I think DC outclassed the xb360 library up to this point for what the machine was.

Dc not only had great games but unique games as well like Seaman, Powerstone, chu chu rocket, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, 2k series, virtua tennis, typing of the dead, etc.

xb360 has some good/great games out and coming but DC was consistantly pushing out great and unique titles from the start. Eventually xb360 library may get there, but a lot slower.

Crackdown is tempting and the halo3 beta may push it over the edge for me.

Dreamcast was supposedly clearly graphically weaker than PS2...

No, actually the the Dreamcast was clearly graphically superior to the PS2, in ALL ports. Still though, this constitutes a difference because the PS3's ports actually match and surpass some of the original Xbox360 titles.

No, actually the the Dreamcast was clearly graphically superior to the PS2, in ALL ports. Still though, this constitutes a difference because the PS3's ports actually match and surpass some of the original Xbox360 titles.

... on rare occasion. In most titles that have been ported from 360 to ps3 the results have been less than flattering in the end. Close enough though I suppose. As long as Sony is ok with being an xbox1.5 equivilant.;)

DC on the other hand as you said clearly looked better than their ps2 counterparts.

... on rare occasion. In most titles that have been ported from 360 to ps3 the results have been less than flattering in the end. Close enough though I suppose. As long as Sony is ok with being an xbox1.5 equivilant.;)

Did I forget to put the word "some" in my original post? Actually, its right there sitting behind the words "surpass" and "of" ! So basically, you decide to use put two sentences in front describing the exact same thing I did but with the (might I add, unqualified, unless you want to quantify it) adjective "rare" instead, just so you could attach that last sentence which basically says nothing useful or accurate?

;)

Did I forget to put the word "some" in my original post? Actually, its right there sitting behind the words "surpass" and "of" ! So basically, you decide to use put two sentences in front describing the exact same thing I did but with the (might I add, unqualified, unless you want to quantify it) adjective "rare" instead, just so you could attach that last sentence which basically says nothing useful or accurate?

;)

Your post did not paint an accurate picture of reality. I helped fill in the blanks.;)

Your post did not paint an accurate picture of reality. I helped fill in the blanks.;)

I say potato you say $^&#!^~^^!wくぇtdsfdkぁsjd543109=-= potato?

You still haven't quantified "rare" (or now that you mention it, how it is better than my choice of words) ;)

What?? Let me get this straight, you are asking if anybody is worried that the 360 is getting all these great titles coming out, because that means imminent miserable failure? I'm going to need a dictionary to find out if this is an example of "trolling" or "flamebaiting".

Back