New Crackdown Screens

You guys probably going to flame me for this...but with all these great titles coming out on the 360...doesn't it feel like back in the days of DreamCast? DreamCast was a great system. It was getting some awesome and unique titles...just before it failed miserably.

Dreamcast failed because Sega went bankrupt.

Considering Microsoft have a cash reserve which is valued at $ 60+\- billion (i.e. Sony's worth on the NSE is 58billion right now), and that they roughly have $ 40 billion in revenue each year, i doubt Microsoft will go bankrupt anytime soon.

I haven't tried co-op yet, but I can only imagine how much fun that would add to the game.

I was able to connect to a buddy one night and we had a blast playing together. Funny stuff. One thing you have to be careful of is the is friendly fire. When we were taking down a boss I ended up kicking him over the ledge of a building. :p

<---Buying this game casue the game ROCKS and not becasue it has a Halo3 Beta invite.

played it again last night and the one thing that struck me was how incredibly FAST this game moves. the controls are so tight.... As your character gains more ability, he just flies everywhere with enemies coming from all over. the speed of the game and the rendering to do so is a feat of accomplishment alone IMO.

I can't wait to take my time exploring everything instead of being time limited as in the demo.

I, too, was surprised at how well the game gels. It always feels right and except when it feels great. There are very few times I found myself incapable of doing what I immediately wanted to do.

I can't wait to take my time exploring everything instead of being time limited as in the demo.

Ya this demo is such a cocktease. I don't even play it anymore, it's so frustrating to have to rush and have everything whiped out after an hour. It'll be sweet when you can just take your time, doing whatever you feel like.

I'm not complaining, it's a good demo, probably the best demo I've ever played other than FN3, but that somehow makes it worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not very interested in Crackdown. However, I'll probably have to get it for the Halo demo.

Crackdown is tempting and the halo3 beta may push it over the edge for me.

OMG!!! Crackdown doesn't do for you guys? :D

No, actually the the Dreamcast was clearly graphically superior to the PS2, in ALL ports. Still though, this constitutes a difference because the PS3's ports actually match and surpass some of the original Xbox360 titles.

I agree. At the same point in time, DC had better graphic...cleaner/crisper, better color, less jaggy and better draw distant. Maybe because the DC life was cut short, we would never know its true potential. However, PS2 at the end did outclass the DC.

In general I would agree that DC and the 360 are in different positions. And surely the end results will be different. I have this soft spot for the DC because it brought so many good memories. And slowly the 360 is doing just that. What i'm trying to say, is that the 360 is coming close to being my favorite...Sorry DC, but if MS allow Xvid to play one th 360, I'm sure it will dethrone the DC as my fav console.

You still haven't quantified "rare" (or now that you mention it, how it is better than my choice of words) ;)

I think a better statement, wording wise, would have been, "A few 360-to-PS3 ports have been better on the PS3 than on the Xbox 360". A few represents that it is not only less than a handful in total, but few also as in proportion as most ports, to this point, have been better on the 360. And I could be wrong, but I never got the sense from either of you that you guys play a lot of ports ;)

That said you guys can bicker in PM.

I didn't find any problem with the camera but I play a lot of platformers and this basically plays like a Zelda with a jump button and a lot of awesome abilities.

The camera can become unwieldy, particularly when entering and exiting confined spaces. And when this happens you are dead meat until it gets sorted. But most of the time an ornery camera can be masked with architectural and topographical familiarity. :cool:

I think control will be an even bigger issue in the retail version. There were plenty of times in the demo when my character needed to jump just a few feet, not a couple of stories; or bomb a single car, not the entire corner. Without control there is an inevitable loss of precision.

Crackdown is certainly no technical slouch, and nothing demonstrates this like the tower's summit. Screenshots bring the game's relatively low-detail, cel-shaded graphical style into sharp focus, but first-hand exposure reveals an incredibly solid frame rate, unprecedented draw distance, an amazing volume of NPCs whose design, behaviour and animation can't be called into question, along with a lighting system that cycles the days happily alongside your quest for justice. In other words, I'd be surprised if there was disappointment, although if I encountered someone who found it so, I would probably just pat them on the back consolingly with a limpet mine, leap 400 metres in the opposite direction and press the "detonate" button....

Crackdown is more like Naughty Dog's Jak II approach: we're videogame characters, wouldn't it be fun if we had a whole city to play with? Within this construct, things like minor control niggles (you can't cycle between locked-on targets) and the occasional glitch (co-op is sometimes tricky to get going, and some boss sections fail to trigger properly online, meaning you end up running around empty venues, bizarrely) are trivialities. It's telling that the biggest complaint I have is that you're reliant on those Achievement Unlocked notifications to tally up your kills and feats, with no GTA-style stats page to call upon. Think about it: I'm upset with Crackdown because I can't examine how much fun I'm having in periscopic detail.

It's also rather short. I blasted merrily through everything central to the game in a day, and mopped up most of the rest by the end of a weekend. Being able to pick and leap into any of your friends' or even complete strangers' cities is likely to keep that buzz going though, as will the Time Trials (beat bosses quickly), the wealth of sub-achievements, and the prospect of downloadable content, some of which we know will be free.

In other words, being so excellent that you obliterate the single-player in a weekend is not enough to stop it being my favorite Xbox 360 game of recent times. You should definitely buy it, because, on this evidence, waiting for Grand Theft Auto IV would be rather daft. This is what it should do anyway.
this game sounds like a little playground of fun

also

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/763/763635p1.html

IGN 8.0 "Impressive"

It's too bad there isn't more to do because the initial fun factor is pretty darn high, especially when you team up with a friend in the excellently implemented co-operative mode. Aside from a few issues with the control (particularly in shooting and aiming), the game runs and plays smoothly enough that you can easily get lost in exploring how much the engine allows you to do. And with the superhero powers, the engine does allow for quite a few awesome ways to exploit your surroundings. There's a great shell here and it is substantial enough to create a good number of quality gaming hours, even if most of them will be spent just trying to max out your character. Hopefully the promised downloadable content will help to flesh out the world a bit more. Even if it doesn't, Crackdown is still a very good game that provides a fresh look at the sandbox genre.
does not sound like a single player game that has much of a story as much as giving you a place to play and toys to play with.

I like games like this that i can pick up and enjoy for a 1/2 hour at a time of mindless fun (after I've maxed my player out by beating it) :D

This is a great quote from Eurogamer regarding the GFX:

Screenshots bring the game's relatively low-detail, cel-shaded graphical style into sharp focus, but first-hand exposure reveals an incredibly solid frame rate, unprecedented draw distance, an amazing volume of NPCs whose design, behaviour and animation can't be called into question, along with a lighting system that cycles the days happily alongside your quest for justice.

"I'd be surprised if there was disappointment, although if I encountered someone who found it so, I would probably just pat them on the back consolingly with a limpet mine, leap 400 metres in the opposite direction and press the "detonate" button."
lol.

OMG!!! Crackdown doesn't do for you guys? :D

It's fun but I do the unlimited rental deal through blockbuster which is 5 mins from my house so a game needs to be a knockout in all areas for purchase.

I'm glad they cleaned up the framerate and it's certainly a promising IP but I don't like the art direction much. Hotwheelstm

Plus I think they missed an opportunity to make a kid friendly GTA which is odd considering the art direction.

1up 9.0

Now this is what every superhero game in the history of ever should have included in the first damn place: a nice, big, semi-contemporary urban setting to leap around and blow up bad guys in, and a character who starts the game as an absolute ass-kick factory. Spot-on control, slick physics, and perfect animation combine to make your supercop feel like both an acrobat and juggernaut. Better yet, he's still somewhat vulnerable and has lots of room for self-improvement. Spend enough time doing something you enjoy -- be it Tick-like rooftop leaping, reckless driving, or just exploding the hell out of stuff -- and your agent quickly gets better at it....

...If Crackdown were nothing more than a GTA-ish game with the fat trimmed away and some insane physical abilities, hell, that'd be something to be thrilled about. That it represents the best, if not the first, online multiplayer sandbox game on a console is just gravy. Here's hoping the Halo 3 beta-invite pack-in drives sales enough to warrant a sequel. The only thing more fun than stunt-driving with a buddy riding Teen Wolf-style on your roof is thinking about what it'd be like with another half dozen guys, destructible environments, and a bigger box of toys.

Gamespot 7.8
The Good: Great-looking city; exciting abilities that get better as you play; satisfying explosions.
The Bad: Driving is lame until you max out your skills; co-op feels half baked; not enough content to keep you busy for long.

Crackdown feels unfinished. It feels like the developers sat down and crafted a wonderful-looking city and carefully considered how the gameplay and abilities should work, and then they didn't have enough time to plug in enough activities to take advantage of it all. While you'll certainly have a lot of fun playing Crackdown, it's hard not to get the distinct feeling that it was on the cusp of being so much more.

Sounds like they fell just short of greatness. Hopefully they can add these extra layers into the sequal and GTA will have a true rival.

I think some obvious opportunities were missed:

1. Boss Battles: The boss battles should get be imaginitive, they should get bigger and badder throughout the game. A super cop, should fight super-bad guys, guys with powers that can battle your agent head on. They should be teatrical, with rooftop chases, huge downtown brawls throwing buses etc etc. The final boss should climax into a massive battle in the heart of the city.

Instead it seems all they did was pile more 'protection' onto each boss, while the bosses are just plain enemies with stupid AI, and no special abilities at all.

Giving the bosses their own unique abiltiies, would've added alot more challenge, and epic moments in the game.

2. Weapons! Huge opportunity missed here, in addition to the orbs, rooftoop races, and car racing, there should have been many more side missions that allowed you to gain additional weapons, ala Saint's Row. This would've really rounded out the side missions, and allowed for something meaningful to do when your powers are maxed out. They alluded to having gadgets in the game early on, they should've kept em, it adds another meaningful activity to the game.

Also, since you are a supercop, there should've been super weapons that you can aquire. Like in Saint's Row you could get the Platinum Uzi, or the Pimp Cane, Crackdown should have the equivalent of these uber weapons, and it should be ALOT of work to get them.

I'll be buying this though, GTA can't even touch it in terms of actual enjoyability while playing. I think it probably has alot less replay value than GTA, but on the first run through I'm sure I'll enjoy myself much more. In GTA you have to force yourself to finish as the gameplay is seriously weak, in Crackdown, it seems as though it finishes too soon, which is not a bad problem to have IMO.

And FYI, the conclusion on gamespot, is actually 2 paragraphs, after they finish discussing the sound:

The way Crackdown is designed means that everything comes back to the open-ended nature of its gameplay. If you want to blaze through all the bosses in a hurry, it won't take you more than 8 to 10 hours on the default difficulty--much less if you spend some time early on working on your key skills and manage to find a homing rocket launcher. But just screwing around, blowing up cars for no good reason or kicking people that get in your way, makes for an interesting pastime. The achievements are also nicely thought out and give you some extra things to do. Aside from the requisite collect-everything and beat-everything points, there are also plenty of inventive goals, like blasting a car into the air with explosives and keeping it juggled in the sky for several seconds or climbing to the top of the agency tower and then jumping down into a small pool of water below.

Crackdown feels unfinished. It feels like the developers sat down and crafted a wonderful-looking city and carefully considered how the gameplay and abilities should work, and then they didn't have enough time to plug in enough activities to take advantage of it all. While you'll certainly have a lot of fun playing Crackdown, it's hard not to get the distinct feeling that it was on the cusp of being so much more.

I was always hopeful for Crackdown, even when it was first shown and panned. I thought it could be really cool, and it looks like it's fulfilling much of its potential.

Now, about that other MGS black sheep "Too Human"... :devilish:

Back