New 'ATI' slides showing marketing information, post X1000 launch

Discussion in 'Graphics and Semiconductor Industry' started by stevem, Oct 10, 2005.

1. stevem

Regular

Just FYI, the title of this thread is not mine. A mod turned my post in the Inq stupidity thread into a new topic, hence the [T] references.

2. _xxx_

Banned

One has to wonder if it's the same group of people doing both ATI and nV BS-presentations...:roll:

3. neliz

neliz GIGABYTE Man
    Veteran

people or instigators?

4. PaulS

Regular

They'd have a point if I could actually buy an ATi card that beats the 7800GTX across the board. Or if I could buy a midrange card before the end of November. Or if they'd released their line up months ago. Or if they hadn't completely botched the Crossfire launch. Or if I couldn't point to driver releases of theirs which were full of unfixed bugs. Or if they didn't continually claim to be above NVIDIA's PR tactics, and then go and make these kind of presentations.

Roll. Eyes.

_xxx_ likes this.
  5. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

I don't have a problem with "these kind of presentations" in general, so long as they hit the public sphere in fairly short order, as this one apparently did (less than a week). They can then be critiqued on their own merits (or demerits) in individual cases by the community. Both companies are absolutely entitled to their own pov's and presenting those in public.

What drives me batty is when this sh*t is floating around in the background, impacting the talking points and thinking of our "opinion leaders" while Joe Public is left scratching our collective heads where certain ideas are coming from.

At least when they reliably get into the public sphere there is at least some incentive for the IHV's to consider backlash from being too extravagant/vicious in their claims. I suspect the emails we never see from PR departments are a whole lot more emotional/slanted than these things. . .

6. Sxotty

Veteran

While I don't mind this stuff at all really, I think you should contemplate whether Joe Public really has any idea at all about this crap. I can guarantee that the average person doesn't have any idea about the Nvidia crap, or about this presentation. Unless it was placed on the cover art of the box saying "ATI/NV told us to say this" then the average person would not be aware, so divuldging it serves little purpose beyond the inquisitive nature of those present at a site like this.

7. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Then who are they trying to influence with these things, and why? :cool: You can't have it both ways. Tho I think we are just in different context. I consider the natives (minus staff) of places like this "Joe Public", and the battle to win the hearts and minds there has an impact on enthusiast and upper-midrange sales, in my view, either directly, or as those folks become secondary opinion leaders of their own in their own circles.

8. Sxotty

Veteran

Geo, that is fine, but Joe public is not on this website that is what I am saying. Joe public is walking thru bestbuy and sees a cover box with marketing check points on it from supposedly independent sources 'THG best hardware" and so forth.

The people here are the people that joe public asks what to buy and then buys something else anyway. :twisted:

9. stevem

Regular

Guess what regularly turns up at OEMs & AIBs...?

10. Arty

Arty KEPLER
    Veteran

So besides 7800GT's MSRP (which wasnt wrong to begin with) what else is wrong on those slides?

11. Xmas

Xmas Porous
    Veteran Subscriber

At least there's something wrong with the techpowerup page... it keeps reloading after a few seconds when viewed with Opera.

Claiming someone will do something and then debunking it "beforehands" is just poor style IMO. And the "24 pages of bug and errata notes" are kind of funny if you can read the titles in the screenshot. :lol:

12. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

I was thinking that at first. But the MSRP/StreetPrice comparison changed my mind. Why would OEM's care about that in the first place?

13. DemoCoder

Veteran

It is a stretch to claim that since you had high internal precision pixel shaders, you had HDR. The next to last slide is quite humorous. They list a bunch of rhetorical questions attacking NV and then say "Do not fall for their tactics". Whose tactics? NV? Or the rhetorical questions crossed out by the "Do not fall...." line, heheheh.

14. KimB

Legend

Bats!

15. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

So you're saying NV is "powerful in life, unstoppable in death"? Typical.

:razz:

16. KimB

Legend

Hahaha, no, the wording of your post just reminded me of that comic :) I was totally focused on the bat.

17. Geo

Geo Mostly Harmless
    Legend

Something to agree on, then --Penny Arcade Roxors.

18. ChrisRay

ChrisRay <span style="color: rgb(124, 197, 0)">R.I.P. 1983-
    Veteran

The failing SM 3.0 is pretty much irrelevent these days. The 78.01 drivers at the very least dont experience this issue. And I'm fairly certain all newer drivers dont as well.

19. KimB

Legend

Yeah, it seems really bogus to be calling attention to an issue that occurred two driver generations previous, and has since been fixed.

20. jvd

jvd
    Banned

No 3dfx was powerfull in life and unstoppable in death. The rampage would have been better than the r520 thats how uber it was