New 'ATI' slides showing marketing information, post X1000 launch

stevem said:
Wait 'til [T]udo (harsh, I know), takes a look at this "presentation":

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/WhatToExpect/2
rofl, not had a good laugh for a long time. :LOL:

They seem to have messed up the MSRP page - this is a slde direct from NV when they launched the 7800 GT. Seeing as the 7800 GTX retail prices were already dropping on the street, we could assume that the e-tail price is the MSRP when you factor in that no 7800 GT's had been 'sold' to end users when this presentation slide was made.

pricing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a summary of what people are saying on Rage3D, not a presentation from ATi. Where has Nvidia ever compared MSRP on ATi's products to the street price on theirs? The quoted 7800GT price is also wrong.

The last slide gives it away for me - "What to expect from Nvidia? The usual deception!". Now to me that sounds like a warning. Now who would ATi be warning in this case? OEM's, retail consumers? They wouldn't need to warn their own sales staff about Nvidia's claims would they ? :LOL:

Where has Nvidia ever compared MSRP on ATi's products to the street price on theirs?
In emails sent just before the X1000 launch to any journo they thought had boards, for one :!:

stevem said:
Wait 'til [T]udo (harsh, I know), takes a look at this "presentation":

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ATI/WhatToExpect/2

Huzzah whatsa? NV is failing SM3.0 tests? Is that still true? That was a few revs ago on the driver they are talking about there.

And I thot the shimmering thing was taken care of without much performance hit.

Otoh, it is a bit eerie how accurate these slides are so far as "the talking points" that we've been hearing from the green camp.

Edit: They ducked on RTF in these slides tho. Not a good sign. I'd much rather have seen them promise to address it in the drivers if developers ask for it.

Does anybody have a good answer to this though? Who do you think is the audience?

trinibwoy said:
The last slide gives it away for me - "What to expect from Nvidia? The usual deception!". Now to me that sounds like a warning. Now who would ATi be warning in this case? OEM's, retail consumers? They wouldn't need to warn their own sales staff about Nvidia's claims would they ? :LOL:

Dave Baumann said:
In emails sent just before the X1000 launch to any journo they thought had boards, for one :!:
I got it too, but I was missing one vital part: the X1000 boards. ;)

trinibwoy said:
That looks like a summary of what people are saying on Rage3D, not a presentation from ATi. Where has Nvidia ever compared MSRP on ATi's products to the street price on theirs?

I dunno, I read various comments, some here, some elsewhere, and from folks who are savvy enuf to understand the difference between MSRP and Street, and I don't have too much trouble believing they are working from "talking points".

Interesting conversation folks, but it really went way the hell sideways from the thread topic. Somebody change it, since this one is much more interesting than another Fudo rant? :LOL:

the email also made reference to the 512MB 7800 GTX, but it gave no more info than that there is going to be one... we all knew that anyway. :)

geo said:
And I thot the shimmering thing was taken care of without much performance hit.

As far as I know there are fixes and workarounds for some titles, but some still show this behaviour (Cs:s being one where the r4x0 fails as well btw.)

It's nearly guaranteed to be shader aliasing if you see it in a Source game.

Split the thread out too.

bigz said:
the email also made reference to the 512MB 7800 GTX, but it gave no more info than that there is going to be one... we all knew that anyway. :)

Wow, so they just dropped that in there hoping you guys would mention it as a "rumour" of some sort? I'm at a loss for the purpose here - they know the XT is a no show till November, why not just launch the damn 512MB card before then?

Rys said:
[his usual common sense.]

Query on your new sig --would that make BB "Prince of Milk Chocolate-y Brown Darkness"?

Also, given the popularlity of the supernatural-y FPS, they might consider just going with that from a marketing perspective. "BFG? Piffle! I want me one of those SOAG!"

Interesting they didnt quote and x1800xl performance leadership:)
I like the card though with it's IQ features and branching/flow controll performance.

Back