New 3DS improved stereoscopic 3D.

the 3D is stronger when you move farther from screen. Tune down the 3D a little bit and you can see it from further away.

thats in old3DS. dunno in new3DS.

That's exactly what they're doing, just figuring out where the eyes themselves are, not where you're looking. Actual eye tracking with any real-time benefit is still years away.

I'm more interested in the physical side of it, exactly what is "better" about the 3D implementation on the new screens. It's not just the camera tracking, it's supposed to have a wider viewable 3D FOV as well, as I understand it.
Manage to get a person who owns the system to do a little experiment:

Turning off 3D+ in the New 3DS, which gets rid of the camera tracking for on the fly sweetpost adjustment and make a comparison with an old 3DS model.

Turns out they behave the same, no wider viewing angles. So the differnce is indeed coming from the camera tracking.

Another extra duty that the internal camera is managing is detecting light intensity from the environment to dynamically adjust the contrast of the screens. This, like the 3D+, is a toggleable option.

Another interesting thing to consider is about the CPU. The first rumor about it's specs we got was from some data deep in the firmaware that pointed out to an increase in clock speed and extra RAM/VRAM. The latest information regarding the CPU comes from the 3DS Brew community, but this time it points to an increase in core count from 2 to 4 at the same clock rate. Giving the extra stuff runing in the back ground for the improved stereo effect while at the same time having general improvements to system responsiveness, the core increase makes sense. Given that the system still uses the same battery but lasts longer maybe the CPU is in a smaller die process also.

Yet im surprised we haven't had a tear down detailing the components and been more thorough about the intricates of the improved 3D effect.

Yet im surprised we haven't had a tear down detailing the components and been more thorough about the intricates of the improved 3D effect.
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out how they do it without moving parts, considering how the original screen worked.

me too, wondering how they rotate the parralax barrier. Even the "3d slider" did not move the barrier, it just turn them on/off then adjust separation.

Back